cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

New Roku Players Hitting the UK 18th October 2017

According to this Engadget article, Roku will be officially offering to us in the UK two new players from the 18th of October 2017 Smiley Happy

There will be the Roku Streaming Stick + with 4K & HDR at RRP of £80, together with the Roku Express for a RRP of £30 Smiley Happy

Not sure how accurate the article is, if so i might be purchasing a Roku Streaming Stick + to replace my ageing Roku stick Smiley Happy

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/11/roku-uk-4k-streaming-stick/

265 Replies
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Thanks for the offer @commanda6 , don't want you spoiling your Christmas by opening your new toy early, even though i am guessing you are itching to test it out Smiley Very Happy

Perhaps @Edd18 can provide the answer to my question with the regards to what version of the Amazon Video App is on the Roku Streaming Stick Plus :smileyhappy

Noticed when watching the YouTube videos that Roku US owners have had this newer Amazon Video (Fire TV style layout) App during 2016.

Wonder if there is a reason why Amazon haven't released or are holding back the newer version of their App to us UK Roku owners ?  

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Just realised that i made an embarrassing mistake in my post number 103 on here, where i was comparing my new Roku Express against my older Roku stick.

Over WiFi in my House i tend to get an internet speed hovering around the 30 Mbps download and 10 Mbps uploaded speeds where i mistakenly assumed this was the internet speeds the Roku Express player was reading

The checking of the Network Status was on the 30th of October which i now realise is the 30 / 10 figures next to the internet download speed Smiley Embarassed

Only just realised this, when i went to check the Wireless Network information in the menu settings and its now showing internet download speed 3 / 11 (today 's date).

Sorry about that wrong bit of information in my post 103 of this thread (my bad) Smiley Very Happy

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

I've found that the express remote works with my black nowtv box. (Sorry if this has been mentioned already) 🙂

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Or vice versa, using the NowTV remote working on the Roku Express, where the only two buttons that wouldn't work on my Roku Express from the NowTV RC was the quick access Sky Store and NowTV buttons.

@caseyb1993Are you still happy with your Roku Express ?

Really pleased with mine, a massive improvement with regards to moving around the UI menus and the Netflix App now loads superfast Smiley Very Happy

Even though the Roku Express remote works over IR it's miles better than using the older Roku stick remote Smiley Happy

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

@caseyb1993Are you still happy with your Roku Express ?

@schnapps I most certainly am! I finally have a working app of FunimationNow which I'm buzzing about. 😄

Yeah, I'm glad about the Netflix improvement as well. I just have to link Google Play up to it and I'm done. 🙂

so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Edd18
Mentor

@schnapps The Amazon app interface on my stick+ is different to the one on my Amazon stick. It’s shown as version 6.0 and dated 6 Mar 2017 in the channel store.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Edd18

Thanks for the swift reply.

Yeah going to the Roku Channel store the Amazon Video App Is displaying the same information has you (version 6.0 dated the 6th of March 2017).

Where when i check the Amazon Video App on the Home main page on my Roku Express it says Version 7.1 ?

Sounds like both the new Roku UK players are using the non fire tv style layout Smiley Mad

Downloaded this image from the internet showing a similar UI to my Amazon Video App (obviously ignore the content shown in the thumbnails) .

Amazon-Prime-Instant-Video-Roku-3.png

Edd18
Mentor

Hi @schnapps the interface that I have is the one in the picture and it does show as version 7.1 on the home screen.

chilli2
Expert 2

Same here, on the older /standard Amazon app, as pictured above, video the new/US amazon app here, looks a little bit like the Now TV app, with the context menu on the left

[video]

The old/UK Amazon app isnt as bad as some though, such as the ITV player

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

I have just replaced my Roku 2 box with a Roku express.  It seems to work fine so far.  Better than my (old) Roku Stick which got a signal by wi-fi, but not quite well enough to play video reliably without buffering.

I picked mine up from Tesco.  It looks like they're currently in stock on Amazon and Very.  Not sure why Littlewoods are trying to sell them for £39.99 though.

It would be nice if Amazon updated their Roku app to the US-style one in the above video.  The current one is a little clunky in terms of visual style and navigation.  My 2012 Samsung Smart TV has the newer-style app and it works well.

Just as long as they retain the 10-second rewind feature (by pressing the circular arrow on the remote) which brings up subtitles if you missed a piece of dialogue, then automatically turns the subs off again.  A highly useful feature as I'm often going 'what did he say?'

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Looks like Argos are now stocking the Roku Streaming Stick Plus and Express models.

Still pleased with my Roku Express purchase Smiley Happy

chilli2
Expert 2

Im planning on waiting for now, the purple stick is slow,  but it works.

will wait to see if any so called black friday deals emerge, or other offers come along

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Should there be any Black Friday or Cyber Monday Roku deals floating around i would take a guess that there would be a better price reduction on the Roku Streaming Stick Plus which cost more here than over the US where the Roku Express is the same price if you say one $ to one £ has a general guide.

Hopefully there is a little more wiggle room on the Roku Streaming Stick Plus UK price once the initial demand starts to drop off.

When Roku confirmed the RRP on the Roku Streaming Stick Plus I was expecting it to be sold in the UK for £70 with an identical price to the new Fire TV 3 4K HDR device.

I am awaiting news and price on the new anticipated Fire TV cube box which Amazon supposedly have coming in the pipeline (not sure when, but If it comes to the UK hovering around the £100 mark, then this could possibly be my next purchase replacing my ageing first gen Fire TV box).

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

I posted this review from AVForums of the Roku Streaming Stick Plus in the wrong Roku thread (Doh !)

Here's the link of the review.

https://www.avforums.com/review/roku-streaming-stick-plus-review.14188

Sorry about the double related post, i think this thread is more relevant for the review Smiley Happy

homer-computer-doh.jpg

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps Have you applied the "holiday offers" yet? 🙂

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @caseyb1993

To be honest, none of the three Roku Holiday promo offers appeal to me so i am not going to bother.

With my BT TV subscription i have the majority of the channels provided by tvplayer and i also find the picture streaming quality from tvplayer not good enough for me.

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

Hi @caseyb1993

To be honest, none of the three Roku Holiday promo offers appeal to me so i am not going to bother.

With my BT TV subscription i have the majority of the channels provided by tvplayer and i also find the picture streaming quality from tvplayer not good enough for me.

I am taking up the TVPlayer offer and maybe the LoveNature one. 🙂

chilli2
Expert 2

A while back i posted this and a spell checker changed why to edgy

[quote]Could this be edgy the standard stick isn't showing any signs of a uk release? globe streamwatch, possibly the next now tv box/stick ?http://techiegadgets.com/telecom/globe/globe-streamwatch-roku-powered-device/[/quote]

which was followed up with this

[quote]

@chilli2 @schnapps @Andy @caseyb1993 @commanda6

Hi Chilli

I'm guessing that this new Roku device will never see the light of day in the UK, nor likely to be released in the US either.

This seems to be aimed, another guess, at the central and south American markets.

UK Bob[/quote]

Now over on Digital Spy, this has been posted under the topic Now TV Stick : https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2252366/now-tv-stick#latest

[quote]Anyone else been selected to trial the new " Now TV Stick " mine arrived this morning, but i'm not allowed to discuss it " outside the household "
 [/quote]

co-incidence???

ukbobboy
Legend

@chilli2

Hi Chilli

Just read your post, it seems to hint at that I am in cahoots with Now TV to keep their forthcoming new product a secret.

If that's what you are thinking then you are wrong, other than being a customer I have no connection with Now TV whatsoever.

Still, I have gone over my post and should really point out what I was thinking at the time, when I looked at the site you linked to I was surprised by the facilities the Roku stick had to offer.  I thought that this new device was a cable killer, as you know in the US cable provides millions of homes with their TV.  I thought that there was no way the US government was going to allow the cable industry to be "slaughtered", after all it provides millions of dollars in tax revenue as well as a good number of jobs.

As for the UK, it was a bit more difficult to see where those new facilities would fit in the UK market.

However, I did not see the Roku stick being offered as a blank "hardware only" slate for Now TV to pick up and rebadge, I just did not see that as a possibility.

Still, as I said before, for me it's all guess work.

UK Bob

chilli2
Expert 2

Not saying anyone (posting) here is in cahoots just putting pieces together.

The Roku 3 hardware unit spawned a few third party custom hardware boxes, such as the Sky online box(italy), and of course the Now TV box, likwise simlilar (looking) boxes to the Roku 4  in Austraila (telstra box) and the UK ( now tv smart box)

If the Roku ( standard HD) Streaming stick is being re packaged as a Globe Streamwatch stick with custom firmware, then its only logical that this is Rokus hardware partner platform going forwards as its asumed that the Roku 3 based units are out of production, and we will soon see a Roku streaming stick re badged running Now TV's basterdised and crippled  roku firmware .

ukbobboy
Legend

@chilli2

Hi again Chilli

Yes, I do see the logic in your argument that the Roku Stick will form the hardware template for the next generation of  Now TV streaming devices.  

However, I can't see Roku getting rid of the Roku 3 and 4 set-top formats, it's more likely that they'll modernise the design, i.e. like when they updated the Roku Lite/Now TV white boxes to current designs.

UK Bob