cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

New Roku Players Hitting the UK 18th October 2017

According to this Engadget article, Roku will be officially offering to us in the UK two new players from the 18th of October 2017 Smiley Happy

There will be the Roku Streaming Stick + with 4K & HDR at RRP of £80, together with the Roku Express for a RRP of £30 Smiley Happy

Not sure how accurate the article is, if so i might be purchasing a Roku Streaming Stick + to replace my ageing Roku stick Smiley Happy

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/11/roku-uk-4k-streaming-stick/

265 REPLIES 265
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @commanda6

This Roku Blog mentions that all Roku players will have the OS 8 update before the end of the year.

https://blog.roku.com/pages/roku-os-8-release-notes

I was wondering, do Roku send out updates in batches maybe working on your box serial number, or maybe if @chilli2 has say for example an American import device would that have any bearing who's Roku players get the updates sooner than others.

To be honest i don't know what procedure Roku uses for rolling out updates to their devices ?

BTW - My old Roku stick Is still on OS 7.7, where i have OS8 on my new Roku Express, where apart from the initial jumping Roku start up logo and the background menu looks slightly different i can't see much difference between both OS's (still need more time testing my Roku Express mind).

Edit - Between getting an Authentication Error on my initial draft post and my slow typing skills looks like @Andy seems to answered the question Smiley LOL  

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

do Roku send out updates in batches

@schnapps Yep

chilli2
Elite

@commanda6 wrote:

@commanda6 wrote:

@ukbobboy wrote:

@chilli2 @schnapps @commanda6

Hi Chilli

I just have a small query to ask, you said, "...my Roku 3 running OS8". Well, I checked my Roku 3 just now and it's still running OS7.7 - build 4135-04 since 29th August. 

Can you check when your Roku 3 was updated?

Cheers.

UK Bob

I concur with what you said @ukbobboy the Roku three should not be on OS 8 and least not yet the latest version for the Roku three is 7.7 and that was indeed released sometime in August. I haven't actually heard anything  anywhere to suggest Roku are going to update . I'll check later and post the exact version (build number) my Roku three is using.

If/when they do update older hardware (I've heard rumours older hardware may be updated  early next year ) probably be sometime after new stuff gets whatever patches it needs after the initial release. The way it tends to work with Roku is that their latest hardware gets new software and features first before anything else.

@ukbobboyWhat I meant to say there was I hadn't heard anything specific, which suggests that Roku are going to update the older hardware within the next few weeks. 

Roku 3,  (UK) running  software 8.0.0 build 4108-04

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

I was wondering does the Roku Streaming Stick Plus have the newer looking Amazon Video UI App (i.e. similar looking to the Fire TV layout) ?

The reason i am asking is that my new Roku Express still has the old clunky Amazon Video App, where i have been watching a few YouTube videos where American Roku Express owners seem to have the newer Amazon Video UI App (Fire TV style).

So does any of the UK Roku devices older models or the newest 4K Stick Plus model have the newer Amazon Video UI App or not ?

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

I was wondering does the Roku Streaming Stick Plus have the newer looking Amazon Video UI App (i.e. similar looking to the Fire TV layout) ?

The reason i am asking is that my new Roku Express still has the old clunky Amazon Video App, where i have been watching a few YouTube videos where American Roku Express owners seem to have the newer Amazon Video UI App (Fire TV style).

So does any of the UK Roku devices older models or the newest 4K Stick Plus model have the newer Amazon Video UI App or not ?

Hi @schnapps

If I could find my Roku streaming stick plus I'd check for you, but it has the course been hidden so I can't have it until Christmas Smiley Sad

@ukbobboy my Roku 3 is now on OS 8 I had to check for an update manually to get it to update. After the update, though it did freeze up. At one point and then all of a sudden came back to life, so it looks like the old freeze ups might have returned in this versionSmiley Sad the Roku three has always been known to have  lock-ups but mine stopped doing that from about OS 7.5

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
ukbobboy
Legend

@commanda6 @schnapps @chilli2 @Andy

Hi C6

Thanks for that bit of info, when you said, "...now on OS 8 I had to check for an update manually....After the update, though it did freeze up....looks like the old freeze ups might have returned". Which I interpret as not to force an update, just to let it happen when it happens.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Cheers

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Thanks for the offer @commanda6 , don't want you spoiling your Christmas by opening your new toy early, even though i am guessing you are itching to test it out Smiley Very Happy

Perhaps @Anonymous User can provide the answer to my question with the regards to what version of the Amazon Video App is on the Roku Streaming Stick Plus :smileyhappy

Noticed when watching the YouTube videos that Roku US owners have had this newer Amazon Video (Fire TV style layout) App during 2016.

Wonder if there is a reason why Amazon haven't released or are holding back the newer version of their App to us UK Roku owners ?  

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Just realised that i made an embarrassing mistake in my post number 103 on here, where i was comparing my new Roku Express against my older Roku stick.

Over WiFi in my House i tend to get an internet speed hovering around the 30 Mbps download and 10 Mbps uploaded speeds where i mistakenly assumed this was the internet speeds the Roku Express player was reading

The checking of the Network Status was on the 30th of October which i now realise is the 30 / 10 figures next to the internet download speed Smiley Embarassed

Only just realised this, when i went to check the Wireless Network information in the menu settings and its now showing internet download speed 3 / 11 (today 's date).

Sorry about that wrong bit of information in my post 103 of this thread (my bad) Smiley Very Happy

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

I've found that the express remote works with my black nowtv box. (Sorry if this has been mentioned already) 🙂

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Or vice versa, using the NowTV remote working on the Roku Express, where the only two buttons that wouldn't work on my Roku Express from the NowTV RC was the quick access Sky Store and NowTV buttons.

@caseyb1993Are you still happy with your Roku Express ?

Really pleased with mine, a massive improvement with regards to moving around the UI menus and the Netflix App now loads superfast Smiley Very Happy

Even though the Roku Express remote works over IR it's miles better than using the older Roku stick remote Smiley Happy