cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

New Roku Players Hitting the UK 18th October 2017

According to this Engadget article, Roku will be officially offering to us in the UK two new players from the 18th of October 2017 Smiley Happy

There will be the Roku Streaming Stick + with 4K & HDR at RRP of £80, together with the Roku Express for a RRP of £30 Smiley Happy

Not sure how accurate the article is, if so i might be purchasing a Roku Streaming Stick + to replace my ageing Roku stick Smiley Happy

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/11/roku-uk-4k-streaming-stick/

265 REPLIES 265
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

@Anonymous User

I am guessing there is no option in the settings to force 50 fps playback only Auto Adjust Refresh Rate ?

Cheers. 

Hi @schnapps

Auto adjust refresh rate would actually have the same end result as fixing the output 50 Hz . The issue arises because 50 does not equally divided into 60 /25 does not equally divided into 60. And that leads to motion judder  In effect, what this functionality does is sets the display refresh rate appropriately depending upon the content being played. The BBC stuff should work fine , and if I remember correctly @Anonymous User already said he tested it

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
chilli2
Elite

So far i havent noticed any 60hz flicker issues with my Roku 3 and ( purple) stick.

weather or not some people are more prone to it than others, or its the TV/receiving kit ( or a combination of both) i dont know, however the re fresh rate has been discussed on the main roku forums here https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=107934

The Answer that Schnapps got from roku tech support sounds like the person at Roku didnt understand the question being asked.

As for refresh rate, the details as outlined here https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/115012823268-how-to-change-the-display-refresh-rate-of-your-r... seem to fix things for those affected by the 60hz flicker if the refresh is set to 24fps , however i dont think this option is present in the expres models, only the 4K Roku devices ( its not present on my Roku 3 running OS8)

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@chilli2

Yeah, it does look like the email i received from the Roku Support person is totally inaccurate Smiley Mad

The Roku support article that you linked on your post together @Anonymous User testing confirms that the Roku Streaming Stick Plus 4K player definitely has the Auto Adjust Refresh Rate feature.

Where the Roku article mentions that only 4K players have this function.

I own the Roku Express and can definitely confirm there is no Auto Adjust Refresh Rate feature on this 1080p player where it outputs all video content at 60fps.

I do notice the 60fps judder on things like the BBC News ticker bar info feed or fast panning camera shots across the screen (usually sports in my case) where i mainly purchased the Roku Express for watching movies and TV shows on my projector where the 60fps refresh rate doesn't bother me so much.

chilli2
Elite

Just checked on my Roku 3, and there is a slight hardly noticable not that smooth scroll on the news ticker, although its not smooth scrolling its not a huge anoyance, alhtough i may de semi de sensitised to it, as my first expeirience of 60Hz was via a Sega Dreamcast where it was an optional mode (50/60Hz) and i always used to select 60Hz

will try and ask Roku anbout the/a 50Hz mode, see what happens.

ukbobboy
Legend

@chilli2 @schnapps @commanda6

Hi Chilli

I just have a small query to ask, you said, "...my Roku 3 running OS8". Well, I checked my Roku 3 just now and it's still running OS7.7 - build 4135-04 since 29th August. 

Can you check when your Roku 3 was updated?

Cheers.

UK Bob

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy wrote:

Hi Chilli

I just have a small query to ask, you said, "...my Roku 3 running OS8". Well, I checked my Roku 3 just now and it's still running OS7.7 - build 4135-04 since 29th August. 

Cheers.

UK Bob

I concur with what you said @ukbobboy the Roku three should not be on OS 8 and least not yet the latest version for the Roku three is 7.7 and that was indeed released sometime in August. I haven't actually heard anything  anywhere to suggest Roku are going to update . I'll check later and post the exact version (build number) my Roku three is using.

If/when they do update older hardware (I've heard rumours older hardware may be updated  early next year ) probably be sometime after new stuff gets whatever patches it needs after the initial release. The way it tends to work with Roku is that their latest hardware gets new software and features first before anything else.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@commanda6 wrote:

@ukbobboy wrote:

Hi Chilli

Cheers.

UK Bob

I concur with what you said @ukbobboy the Roku three should not be on OS 8 and least not yet the latest version for the Roku three is 7.7 and that was indeed released sometime in August. I haven't actually heard anything  anywhere to suggest Roku are going to update . I'll check later and post the exact version (build number) my Roku three is using.

If/when they do update older hardware (I've heard rumours older hardware may be updated  early next year ) probably be sometime after new stuff gets whatever patches it needs after the initial release. The way it tends to work with Roku is that their latest hardware gets new software and features first before anything else.

@ukbobboyWhat I meant to say there was I hadn't heard anything specific, which suggests that Roku are going to update the older hardware within the next few weeks. 

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@commanda6 They are in the process of rolling out updates now. My Roku updated to 8.0.0 build 4108-04 overnight. Probably take a few days for all boxes to receive it.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy wrote:

@commanda6 They are in the process of rolling out updates now. My Roku updated to 8.0.0 build 4108-04 overnight. Probably take a few days for all boxes to receive it.

Thanks @Andy I certainly didn't have the knowledge of Yoda this time did I Smiley Indifferent and I also thought I dictated something I hadn't my first post didn't make sense Smiley Sad

Of course, I just remembered that OS8 has already been out for a month or two in the states survey probably are ready to push it to older kit by now

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@commanda6 I wasn't expecting it, and I probably wouldn't have noticed if I didn't see your post! 😄