cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

New Roku Players Hitting the UK 18th October 2017

According to this Engadget article, Roku will be officially offering to us in the UK two new players from the 18th of October 2017 Smiley Happy

There will be the Roku Streaming Stick + with 4K & HDR at RRP of £80, together with the Roku Express for a RRP of £30 Smiley Happy

Not sure how accurate the article is, if so i might be purchasing a Roku Streaming Stick + to replace my ageing Roku stick Smiley Happy

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/11/roku-uk-4k-streaming-stick/

265 REPLIES 265
chilli2
Elite

wouldn't be surprised if it pops up as a now tv stick though.
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

I got mine!! 

This one is so much better! My FunimationNow works on this one so I am very happy happy happy. 🙂

I have just now had an email from tesco to say it is back in stock on direct. Seriously????

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi Everybody,

Been doing some further testing tonight on my Roku Express player and here are more findings that i have noticed from my device.

Moved the Roku Express into my Home Cinema room at the rear of the house and found the WiFi signal reception excellent according to the network settings info on the player, had my old Roku stick setup also next to the Roku Express and found the old Roku stick WiFi signal to be showing Good reception in the menu settings.

On the Roku Express network wireless information menu it showed my download and upload internet speeds that the player was reading where my old Roku stick didn't offer this useful bit of information. 

The Roku Express infra red responsiveness is excellent where i was sitting about 4m away from the device and even pointing the remote controller in the opposite direction where it still worked perfectly fine.

Also when watching a movie in the dark, i really liked the larger play / pause button on the RC which i found easier to locate when fumbling with the remote.

According to the wireless network information on the Roku Express i was getting 30 Mbps download and 10 Mbps uploaded in my Home Cinema Room.

Now i have encountered a problem with the Netflix App on the Roku Express where it streams HD fine for 10 to 15 minutes then the picture goes pixilated worse then SD quality, where the Amazon Video and NowTV App picture quality is rock solid and stable outputting it's highest HD quality from the streams. 

I have double checked the old Roku stick and that played the Netflix App perfectly fine in HD quality even though the WiFi signal seems not so good compared to the Roku Express.

Tried all the normal stuff to improve the Netflix App on the Roku Express without any success.

Wondering if anybody else with the Roku Express is encountering any picture quality issues with the Netflix App ?

At the moment apart from the Netflix App losing the HD picture quality, i am overall extremely happy with the Roku Express player which IMO is a big improvement over my old Roku stick.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Should have said that the Netflix App plays HD fine for 10 to 15 minutes, then the picture quality drops off below SD where the picture looks like macro blocking for a minute, then the picture ramps back up to HD quality for say another 10 to 15 minutes, then the picture drops back to SD macro blocking once again for a minute where the cycle keeps continuing.

Tried three movies on Netflix all with the same above results.

Also tried the Netflix App on My Panasonic smart TV and my Fire TV box and they both play HD fine watching back the same films.

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @schnapps

Picture quality seems fine on Netflix to me. It took about 30 seconds at the start of my show to come clear but after that it seems fine to me. 

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Received this email today from Roku Support where i asked them about native 50fps playback on the new recently released UK spec players.

They seem to give a different answer to what members suggested on here ?

I can only confirm my experience with the Roku Express where it definitely plays video back at 60fps.

Here's the email below :- 

Hi 

Your request #(xxxxxxxx) has been marked as resolved.

To add additional comments to this ticket , reply to this email.

Issue : Questions about setup or using my Roku

Joshuapaul Mani, Nov 1, 14:51 PDT:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Roku Customer Service.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and delay in responding to your email.

We understand that you wanted to know whether Roku Express works with 50 fps . We are sorry about that because Roku Stick plus and Roku express supports both 720p and 1080p at 60 fps .

Please write back to us for further assistance.
Thank you for choosing Roku and have a great day.

Regards,
Joshua
Roku customer service

Anonymous User
Not applicable

We understand that you wanted to know whether Roku Express works with 50 fps . We are sorry about that because Roku Stick plus and Roku express supports both 720p and 1080p at 60 fps .

I found my Express to be almost unusable on iPlayer due to the 60fps making the picture judder.

I will be dropping it off at the local charity shop at the weekend, will never buy a Roku again if they cant be bothered to provide this simple functionality.

Back to the Now black box!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, just a quick update on my experience with the streaming stick plus. I've now tried it with NowTV and find the picture to be very good. 

With the auto-adjust refresh rate function enabled programs play smoothly at 25fps but the stick reverts to 60fps when navigating the menus so the screen goes blank for a couple of seconds whilst the refresh rate changes. 

Interestingly this is the reply I got when I enquired about the streaming stick+

Thank you for contacting Roku Customer Support.

You have contacted us regarding the compatible display resolution on Roku stick+

Yes, It will support 50fps playback.

You can check the below link for further.

https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products/streaming-stick-plus

Thank you for providing us with an opportunity to assist you and thank you for choosing Roku.

Regards,
Kumaran Sabarimuthu
Roku Customer Support

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Would you mind try using the BBC IPlayer App on your Roku Streaming Stick + and watch some BBC News with the ticker information bar on the bottom and report back here if the motion is smooth or jerky when your Roku stick is set to Auto Adjust Refresh Rate.

I am guessing there is no option in the settings to force 50 fps playback only Auto Adjust Refresh Rate ?

Cheers. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, The news ticker thing does play smoothly at 25fps with Auto-adjust Refresh Rate enabled.

I can't find any way of fixing the frame rate at 50fps.