cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

New Roku Players Hitting the UK 18th October 2017

According to this Engadget article, Roku will be officially offering to us in the UK two new players from the 18th of October 2017 Smiley Happy

There will be the Roku Streaming Stick + with 4K & HDR at RRP of £80, together with the Roku Express for a RRP of £30 Smiley Happy

Not sure how accurate the article is, if so i might be purchasing a Roku Streaming Stick + to replace my ageing Roku stick Smiley Happy

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/11/roku-uk-4k-streaming-stick/

265 REPLIES 265
chilli2
Elite

is that 50hz, or did you mean 60hz?

if 50, then quite a few people will be happy.

as far as I know the roku remotes are a little thicker than the now tv ones, and mostly of the recent batch of the old remotes have shortcuts, one being for the defunct rdio service
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Should be 60fps.

Sorry about that.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

I had a sneaky feeling that the new Roku Player would output 60 fps where i emailed Roku US asking the same question twice, where they didn't even have the courtesy too reply apart from their standard auto process return email saying they have receipt of my emails with a customer reference number Smiley Mad

Hopefully like the NowTV boxes which were originally 60fps, perhaps Roku will offer us UK customers a 50fps firmware update in the future (fingers crossed).

This hasn't put me off from buying a Roku Express which will be a direct replacement to my old sluggish Roku stick which also provided video output at 60fps. 

chilli2
Elite

Could this be edgy the standard stick isn't showing any signs of a uk release? globe streamwatch, possibly the next now tv box/stick ?http://techiegadgets.com/telecom/globe/globe-streamwatch-roku-powered-device/
ukbobboy
Legend

@chilli2 @schnapps @Andy @caseyb1993 @commanda6

Hi Chilli

I'm guessing that this new Roku device will never see the light of day in the UK, nor likely to be released in the US either.

This seems to be aimed, another guess, at the central and south American markets.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi Everybody,

Managed to pick up a Roku Express from my local Tesco Superstore Smiley Happy

According to their online website local store checker in my area they had plenty of stock Smiley Happy

Popped into the store and they was none on the shelf, asked one of the guys in the Electrical Dept where he said that he has never heard of them (typical) asked him to check the computer and there was no Roku products listed Smiley Frustrated

Starting to get frustrating now, where i asked him to go into the back warehouse to double check which he reluctantly did and with a big grin on my face he came back with a new Roku Express and also mentioned that there was a couple in stock in the back warehouse Smiley Very Happy

With the Tesco price of £29 (99p below SRP) and my Tesco coupon and clubcard vouchers the Roku Express only cost me a bargain price of £14 Smiley Happy

yippee.png

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi Everybody,

Did try to post twice my initial thoughts on the new Roku Express player where each time i got the dreaded Authentication Errors where i lost my detailed post and just gave up in the end Smiley Mad

So quickly here's my first impressions

Supper fast navigating around the Roku OS 8 UI and loading Apps.

The IR Remote controller is super responsive with a wide and long range (pointed the remote in the opposite direction and it still worked).

WiFi reception seems excellent in my setup (need more testing).

Netflix, Amazon and Now TV picture quality looks excellent and pin sharp on my TV.

BBC IPlayer works fine, haven't tested the other catch up Apps yet.

No 5ghz WiFi option which the older Roku stick had.

60fps video output which hopefully will be fixed with a firmware update (similar to NowTV boxes had fingers crossed).

Amazon Video UI needs a refresh still looks like the old Roku stick.

If you have an old Roku stick, then this player is without a shadow of a doubt a massive improvement Smiley Happy 

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

Hi Everybody,

60fps video output which hopefully will be fixed with a firmware update (similar to NowTV boxes had fingers crossed).

Hold your horses @schnapps

It could well be that nothing needs to change because  apparently the Roku two 2015 and Roku three as of software version 7.5 were updated to dynamically switch between 50 and 60 Hz output depending on what is needed but depending on how this is done, your TV may not tell you that this is happening. But given that you said that the picture is pin sharp on NowTV that would suggest it is happening. In effect, what I believe the dynamic  switching means is that instead of trying to convert said content to 60 Hz. The box just plays it is. Whereas NowTV hardware is a bit different. It is now fixed at 50 Hz through software/firmware.

I have highly doubt Roku would have removed to this functionality on the new hardware so it could well be the case that nothing needs to happen, but as ever it will be quite difficult to get a straight answer out of Roku

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @commanda6

It's looks to me that it's fixed at 60fps and not doing any type of dynamic switching of the fps.

I did send Roku two separate emails about the native fps on the new Roku UK players and they didn't have the courtesy to reply back to me.

The reason why i believe it's fixed at 60fps is that for example when you watch the BBC IPlayer App News feed on the Roku Express the news ticker information bar is stuttering really badly (like when the NowTV boxes was originally set at 60fps).

Where if you watch the BBC IPlayer App on the NowTV box now set at 50fps the News ticker information bar is silky smooth with no judder.  

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

Hi @commanda6

It's looks to me that it's fixed at 60fps and not doing any type of dynamic switching of the fps.

I did send Roku two separate emails about the native fps on the new Roku UK players and they didn't have the courtesy to reply back to me.

The reason why i believe it's fixed at 60fps is that for example when you watch the BBC IPlayer App News feed on the Roku Express the news ticker information bar is stuttering really badly (like when the NowTV boxes was originally set at 60fps).

Where if you watch the BBC IPlayer App on the NowTV box now set at 50fps the News ticker information bar is silky smooth with no judder.  

@schnapps , then it may well be fixed at 60 Hz, then based on what you said about the BBC stuffSmiley Sad I don't really understand why Roku would have removed the dynamic switching functionality, though.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.