cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

New Roku Players Hitting the UK 18th October 2017

According to this Engadget article, Roku will be officially offering to us in the UK two new players from the 18th of October 2017 Smiley Happy

There will be the Roku Streaming Stick + with 4K & HDR at RRP of £80, together with the Roku Express for a RRP of £30 Smiley Happy

Not sure how accurate the article is, if so i might be purchasing a Roku Streaming Stick + to replace my ageing Roku stick Smiley Happy

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/11/roku-uk-4k-streaming-stick/

265 REPLIES 265
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993

Watching a few YouTube videos about the Roku Express (US versions) where they also come with some double sided sticky tape where you can fit the small light weight Express box directly underneath or on the side of your TV (you just need to ensure the Express is in line of sight of the Roku RC IR commands) Smiley Happy  

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps As long as it isn't sluggish, it could stick on the ceiling haha 😄

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Does anyone know if these will output 50fps content at 50fps? If not then I won’t be buying.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

I have sent an email to the Roku Technical Support Team asking the exact question in your post above.

Should i get a reply back from Roku, i will post the answer here.

chilli2
Elite

I've yet to notice the 60Hz/50Hz flicker/judder issue on my Roku 3 and Purple roku stick, however my purple roku stick is struggling, and extremly sluggish at times, so the new Roku stick+ would be a good replacement.

The line up is a little limited compared to the full versions, in my opinion it would have been better if Roku would have gone with these

Black Stremaing Stick as the base model

Straming Stick+ mid range

and Roku Ultra

Price wise it seems a little high when compared to the US models, the Streaming stick + costs US$69.99 which is £53, add UK VAT ( as US prices dont include sales Tax a.k.a VAT ) and you get £63.60 which would be rounded up to £64.99, a full £15 more

Likewise the Express which is US$29.99, or £27.59

The Roku express if following this price model would retail at roughly £129.99 (inc VAT at 20%)

Another option would be for Now TV to be available on the Amazon fire system(s) , one reason given for its abscence on here, is that Amazon have their own service Amazon Prime video and wont allow another competing video service, however that fails to take into account other paid for streaming services on the Fire TV platform such as Netflix  as well as other lesser known paid services such as Curzon home cinema

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@chilli2 wrote:

I've yet to notice the 60Hz/50Hz flicker/judder issue on my Roku 3 and Purple roku stick, however my purple roku stick is struggling, and extremly sluggish at times, so the new Roku stick+ would be a good replacement.

The line up is a little limited compared to the full versions, in my opinion it would have been better if Roku would have gone with these

Black Stremaing Stick as the base model

Straming Stick+ mid range

and Roku Ultra

Price wise it seems a little high when compared to the US models, the Streaming stick + costs US$69.99 which is £53, add UK VAT ( as US prices dont include sales Tax a.k.a VAT ) and you get £63.60 which would be rounded up to £64.99, a full £15 more

Likewise the Express which is US$29.99, or £27.59

The Roku express if following this price model would retail at roughly £129.99 (inc VAT at 20%)

Another option would be for Now TV to be available on the Amazon fire system(s) , one reason given for its abscence on here, is that Amazon have their own service Amazon Prime video and wont allow another competing video service, however that fails to take into account other paid for streaming services on the Fire TV platform such as Netflix  as well as other lesser known paid services such as Curzon home cinema

Hi @chilli2

I think you meant to say the Roku Ultra would cost around hundred and £130. He said the express insteadSmiley Wink

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
chilli2
Elite

Hi @chilli2

I think you meant to say the Roku Ultra would cost around hundred and £130. He said the express insteadSmiley Wink

Meant the Ultra at £130 ish, alhtouhg knowing the way things work this could even be higher at £140.

shame were not getting the full line up, or even the Express+ instead of the express, with the AV composite out lead being sold as an acessory.

I wouldnt be surprised if the next Now TV box took the form of the Express, or even Express+ as their is demand on here for AV out on the now TV branded hardware

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a Roku 4k streaming stick that I brought in the USA last month, several channels do not work, I was amazed when I could not get it to work with NOW TV, BBC IPLAYER, Channel 4 and a couple of others, basically I have wasted my money, itwas a gamble, shame because the stick is quicker not so clunky, the wifi connection is definitely stronger which is the main reason I brought it, not for 4k or tho maybe later when I buy a new tv.

I can get around the Iplayer thing by mirroring my tablet but hey NOW TV wtf is going on.

chilli2
Elite

@Anonymous User wrote:

I have a Roku 4k streaming stick that I brought in the USA last month, several channels do not work, I was amazed when I could not get it to work with NOW TV, BBC IPLAYER, Channel 4 and a couple of others, basically I have wasted my money, itwas a gamble, shame because the stick is quicker not so clunky, the wifi connection is definitely stronger which is the main reason I brought it, not for 4k or tho maybe later when I buy a new tv.

I can get around the Iplayer thing by mirroring my tablet but hey NOW TV wtf is going on.

Not sure about Now TV, but its been reported and even confirmed that services such as BBC iplayer will only work on aproved devices.

these are listed here https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/how-to-guides/getting-started/television_iplayer

andthe roku devices link is here https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/roku

At the moment the new devices are not listed, however once they are it may be possible to switch your imported Stick+ to UK firmware via a full system reset and creating a new UK account (username/password etc)

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @schnapps @caseyb1993

It looks like the new Roku devices aren't available to order on the Roku UK website. I've just tried to order the streaming stick plus I can't see an option to buy anywhere on the site

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.