cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

New Roku Player Line UP and New Roku OS 8

Looks like Roku USA have announced new streaming products together with a new updated operating systems OS 8.

Wonder if any of these Roku products will reach us in the UK through authorized UK Retailers or like the last generation models potential customers in the UK will have to import them ?

https://blog.roku.com/introducing-the-roku-streaming-stick-and-the-new-roku-streaming-player-lineup-...

Here's also a link about more information on the OS8 operating system, together with a list of Roku older model players that will be receiving the update in the coming months.

https://blog.roku.com/pages/roku-os-8-release-notes

20 REPLIES 20
manowarrior
Mentor

Just noticed this buried in the feature list...

You can now configure your Roku player for 24, 25, 30 or 60 Hz HDMI output based on your audiovisual equipment and viewing preferences.

Does this mean NowTV will run without jerkovision as AFAIK the content of that (and indeed the other UK catchups) is 25fps?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@manowarrior Now TV content does play smoothly at 25fps if you enable auto-adjust refresh rate on the streaming stick + but the menus are stuck at 60fps which results in a few seconds of blank screen whilst the refresh rate changes. Also if for example you are watching Sky 1 and decide to change to sky Arts the screen goes blank for a few seconds. Other catch up content also runs at 25fps with the exception of BBCiPlayer where cathup runs at 60fps but the live stream runs at 25fps.

Amazon & Netflix content mostly runs at 24fps but again the menus are stuck at 60fps.

Legend 5
Legend 5

Thinking of asking the dearly beloved for one of these. Do you know if the buttons on the remote are consistent or do they vary depending on what retailer is providing them.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@4268 wrote:
Thinking of asking the dearly beloved for one of these. Do you know if the buttons on the remote are consistent or do they vary depending on what retailer is providing them.

@4268 Fixed by Roku I'm afraid, and not user-assignable, so you're stuck with Netflix, RedBull, Rakuten and Yupp.

Legend 5
Legend 5

Strange choices of buttons, understand Netflix but you would have thought Amazon would be one.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@4268 Think it's a case of whoever they've partnered up with to promote (and no doubt get paid for). The last gen Rokus had the more useful (to me) selection of Netflix, YouTube and Google Play but the fourth one was rdio which went bust years ago. 

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy I guess that is fluid. I quite like the idea of one device with everything I watch rather than a couple. It might replace the smart box.
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@4268 I'm on the last gen but I think they are cracking little boxes and for the price that the Express is going for it's pretty much a bargain. Even the Streaming Stick+ isn't too badly priced compared to offerings from other providers. The interface isn't as polished as the competition but at least you know what you're getting having used the NOW TV boxes.  

I'd be surprised if you weren't happy with whichever model you went for.

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy, what other provider has Now, Netflix, Amazon and TVPLAYER on same device?
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@4268 By provider I just meant in comparison to features and tech specs of other streaming boxes out there. Don't think any other box has all four you mention, does it?

Unless your question was rhetorical, in which case ... exactly!