cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

New Roku Player Line UP and New Roku OS 8

Looks like Roku USA have announced new streaming products together with a new updated operating systems OS 8.

Wonder if any of these Roku products will reach us in the UK through authorized UK Retailers or like the last generation models potential customers in the UK will have to import them ?

https://blog.roku.com/introducing-the-roku-streaming-stick-and-the-new-roku-streaming-player-lineup-...

Here's also a link about more information on the OS8 operating system, together with a list of Roku older model players that will be receiving the update in the coming months.

https://blog.roku.com/pages/roku-os-8-release-notes

20 REPLIES 20
DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

I have a Roku box but wish they'd release the Roku Express over here (or the new Streaming Stick+).

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@DarylM wrote:

I have a Roku box but wish they'd release the Roku Express over here (or the new Streaming Stick+).

Hi @DarylM @schnapps

Unfortunately, there's no mention anywhere of the new models being released in the UK at the moment. I think that both the current streaming stick that's available in the UK and the current top of the range model that is available in the UK need to be updated with something a bit more modern, but I think the current Roku 2 (2015 version) can probably stay on sale in the UK as it's still a good mid-range streamer. That they do need to do something because otherwise Amazon will blow them out of the water very shortly , at least in the UK anyway.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

I currently own the Roku streaming stick (UK Version) which is a bit laggy and was thinking about buying a Roku 2 box on the Currys website who are selling them off at a reduced price of £34.

Was also contemplating buying a Roku 4K Premier box (US import on Ebay UK) where from what i believe reading on the internet that most of the Apps work in the UK apart from the BBC IPlayer App which doesn't bother me (not sure if that is accurate though)..

Looking for a Roku box that offers Ethernet with NowTV, Netflix and Amazon Video (not interested in the TV catch up Apps which i have on loads of devices).

Does Anybody know if NowTV, Netflix and Amazon Video UK Apps work on the 4K US imported players from EBay UK ? 

Don't really need 4K or HDR, but suppose it's useful to have in case of a future upgrade in my HC Room.

I might wait to see if Roku make any announcements if these new devices will be sold in the UK from their normal UK Retailers.

Suppose in the short term i could keep using the Roku streaming stick and put up with its sluggish navigation responsiveness.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

There's some interesting features in OS 8, altho most seem to be aimed only at US and/or TV versions. However if NOW TV leverage the TV Guide feature for the Smart Boxes it will be a welcome feature by a lot of people - sounds really useful with both forward and backward EPG as well as cross-referencing to other apps (although I'm guessing NOW TV won't be implementing that aspect haha!!)

Wish Roku OS would get away from the boxy look tho, it's a little dated now compared to other devices. Give it some sleek curves.

@schnapps You need to check re NOW TV on imported Rokus as it may depend on availability of a UK equivalent firmware - asking on the Roku forum would be the best bet as they'll be plenty of people who've imported one.

From what I know of your set up tho and you currently only need 1080p for your projector setup I'd definitely grab the Roku 2 at that price personally. 

Legend 5
Legend 5

I don't have a Roku but am considering. Are there freeview apps?
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@4268 you'll find all the same apps as on the NOW TV box apart from Sky Sports News, as well as TV Player. No UKTV but a few other premium services, specifically Shudder , Google Play, Rakuten TV for me, as well as hundreds of crapware apps. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@4268

Here's a link of some of the UK Apps that are available on UK spec Roku players, plus there are more not so common Apps that you can get from their App Store.

https://www.roku.com/en-gb/whats-on

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi Everybody,

Anybody noticed anything worth talking about with regards to the new OS8 since your Roku devices have had the OS8 update ?

Looks like minor changes to me, where the is nothing ground breaking with small implementation adjustments to the previous OS version.

Reading the Roku Blog about the OS8 updates it appears to be geared towards Roku OS powered TV's and Roku US devices, together with some additional bug fixes.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

There is a good review just gone up on AVForums website with regards to the Roku Streaming Stick Plus Smiley Happy

Here's the link to the review if anybody wants a read.

https://www.avforums.com/review/roku-streaming-stick-plus-review.14188