cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New Apple TV App Not Working

Hi 

I recently updated our Apple TV app as the old one is being discontinued.

Now when I try to watch anything all I get is a blue spinning circle and sometimes an error message will follow.  We have a static (UK) IP address and we have had problems watching Now TV on our iPads as it seems to think we are outside the UK.  Using a VPN solves the problem on the iPad but that isn't an option on the Apple TV as far as I know.

I believe the issue is with the identification of the IP address as when I switch to a phone hotspot on the Apple TV I can then watch NOW.  This isn't a long term option though due to the amount of data consumed.

Has anyone who has had similar problems found a solution?  The old version of the app worked fine but I deleted it when updating.

Thank you.

RichardUK

10 REPLIES 10
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

If I’m not mistaken you could download a VPN app on the Apple TV? 

As I have used my VPN a couple of times to stream NOW purely for testing purposes and for my parents in Spain. 

You can always post your comment on the mammoth thread on Apple TV. Many users are well experienced with Apple TV and the NOW on that thread.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Set-top-boxes-Smart-TVs/Update-Now-TV-app-for-apple-TV/td-p/366659/jump-to/first-unread-message

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks.  I did try a VPN but the app recognised it and would not stream with it on.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

What VPN are you using? 
As mines has an option for “dedicated IP” which normally helps being able to stream without issues.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Can you remember what the error message is saying?

Would it be along these lines in this linked thread below and if so it could be third party ad blocking software on your Router or if using a BT Router you need to allow third party file sharing ?

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Other-Apps/New-Apple-TV-App-ver-6-3-6-not-working/m-p/550378 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps Yes, that is the message.  I had seen that thread and check on my router settings but couldn't see anything similar. 

I have Virgin Business Broadband which uses a Hitron router.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008 I'm using CyberGhost they have a smart DNS feature for Apple TV.  Instead of getting a blue spinning circle I get a message saying something like 'VPN detected.  Unable to start stream'.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Have you tried to set the DNS back to default and then download the native app for Cyber Ghost? 

Just an option as I know NOW can be picky when it comes to certain DNS settings and even VPNs.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008 There isn't a Cyberghost app for Apple TV.  The only option is SmartDNS.

Do you mind me asking what VPN you are using on your Apple TV?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Unfortunately I don’t own an Apple TV, as I was under the impression that they would have the same app’s available to the iPhone. 

That being said I use PrivateVPN and generally I haven’t had many issues at all with it. The devices I use it with are my Sony Bravia Android TV, Amazon fire stick and my iPad.