cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New Apple TV 4k - "Sorry, Now TV is currently unavailable"

Just bought the new Apple TV 4k, in an attempt to be rid of the wretched Samsung TV apps. So far I've got as far as "Sorry, Now TV is currently unavailable", with a Retry button that does nothing.

I bought the Entertainment package too, but can't watch anything due to this. I refuse to use the Samsung TV app as it constantly crashes or flat out doesn't work. So far, I'm starting to think that it's just an issue with Now TV being a trainwreck.

The only other threads I found suggested removing PiHole, adblock, and something to do with a BT Smart hub. None of these apply to me as it's all on stock settings with a Virgin Hub 3.

What tops it all off is the fact that this very website has a chat button that does not work. Sky have blatantly added a fake chat button just to make you even more angry at the lack of support for their products. 

At this point it would be less frustrating to just buy an iPhone and stream shows from dodgy sites. This is about as calm as I'm capable of being given the ineptitude of the company.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Anyone having the issue, I found from a tip from someone on twitter, uninstall the app and then reinstall today, and that has worked I am now able to use the App again.. I believe NowTV may have fixed the issue in the back end but it takes an uninstall and reinstall to allow the app to connect again..

View solution in original post

50 REPLIES 50
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I have come across this message also when people are using a VPN or have a rouge IP address outside the UK on their Router.

If using a VPN try disabling it, and to see your Router IP address and location use this link website tool below:-

Should it be showing outside the UK, then try unplugging the power on the Router for about 30 minutes to allow your Router to acquire a new IP address automatically.

https://www.whatismyip.com 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Another thing to check is that your regional settings on the new Apple TV is set for the UK (assuming you are based in the UK) and the NOW App is the UK version and not the Republic of Ireland NOW App.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I have just been over on NOW Twitter and two other people have reported the same exact error message on their Apple TV boxes in the last hour or so.

This might suggest there is an issue at NOW end (perhaps other Apple TV users on the forum can confirm if they are also getting the message or not).

I am guessing you have tried a fresh NOW App install and then temporarily unplugging the power to the ATV box and your Router.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps 

Thanks for the troubleshooting steps, really appreciate the help.

Unfortunately again none of the steps helped resolve the issue, and if others are starting to report it then would it be worth assuming that NOW simply haven't flicked a switch on their end to say the new ATV is allowed to access the service?

Hoping it's just a case of adding the new device to their list of accepted devices, but in fairness Apple haven't exactly helped the situation by calling it Apple TV 4k again. Presumably it'll be listed as (2nd generation) if the support is added.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I just had another read of the Tweets on NOW and the two people who have reported the error message so far also seem to have the new second generation 4K Apple TV box from what i can tell reading their tweets.

Would have though the new Apple TV second generation 4K box would be supported straight out of the traps with NOW.

Unless other forum members have any ideas on a fix, then maybe jump over to NOW live chat for further assistance & help.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-complaint 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps 

Contacting them now, and I've managed to get chat working by using MS Edge. No idea why Chrome and Firefox refuse to work but I guess that's a problem for another day!

Here's hoping the newness of the device is causing it and it's a simple fix. Technically it hasn't even been released yet, think Argos jumped the gun a little there.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The NOW live chat service has always been fussy with internet browsers people use when contacting them.

Where i mainly tend to use MS Edge myself when getting in touch with NOW live chat web service.

Hope you get it sorted.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Try live chat again where you might have a more knowledgeable chat adviser or alternatively drop NOW a message using the web form on the link that i posted.

i am guessing you don't use Twitter ?

if you do, send NOW a Tweet (maybe on the same tweet line that i mentioned).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps 

Tried NOW on Twitter earlier and they redirected me to the live chat with the same link you suggested, so for the moment it's a bit of a merry-go-round.

I'll try another adviser now and hopefully it'll go a little more smoothly!