cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Leighton
Mentor

NOW TV now available on some Google TV devices??

NOW TV now available on some Google TV devices??

Ok so I've just purchased a Google TV device (HD version, £34 from Google store UK) for at my girlfriend's device as got my own at my place and find them pretty good.
I was surprised but please to see that the Sky NOW TV app was available to download directly from the app store (no developer mode/side download etc req)
I downloaded it, signed it, works perfectly, happy days.

Back at my place today and go to download the app to my other device but it doesn't show up when I search for it. My device is the 4k version, totally up to date and connected to standard BT internet with no VPNs set up.

Any idea what's going on here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The app is now available on 4k version as of today! 

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
Leighton
Mentor

Apologies, the images are from the new HD model Chromecast not the older 4k model. Hopefully a compatible app will come to us early adopters in time.

Hodge
Mentor

Seems strange why its available for the HD model released the other week and not the 4k version?  I picked up a 4k version a few week back and am disappointed that one of the most popular streaming sticks is not supported for some strange reason seeing that every other streaming stick is. 

Can this be looked into by the app development team please 😄

Hodge
Mentor

I also just emailed the developer via the contact link on the google play store.  Asked about an update, so will post back if i get a reply.  Suggest everyone else msg`s them to and we might get somewhere with a solution 😄 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm in the same position, I have two Chromecast with GoogleTV, the HD model, and the 4K.

The Now app was available in Google Play on the HD out the box, but not on the 4K (even side loading, it won't work).

The 4K was running Android TV 10, and has recently updated to 12 to match the HD, but Now still won't work/show, either side loaded, or via Google Play.

I have noticed that the Kernel Version on the 4K is still lower than the HD, even after the update. The 4K went from Kernel 4.9.180 to 4.9.269 whereas the HD is running 5.4.125

Maybe this is the problem?

I'll do the same as Hodge and also use email the developer to add my support for this change/fix, and post any response I get here.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just went to look up the developer contact details from the Now app on the Chromecast HD and noticed ...

"Requires Android 5.1 and up"

So yeah, most likely we'll be waiting until Google Update the 4K to a later version of Android. 

Still, no harm asking for further backwards compatibility in the app, so will ping them an email  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV Android TV app - Kernel version 5.1 and up

Now TV Android TV app - Developer Contact

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ccwgtv 4k is running Android 10 out of the box with a recent upgrade to Android 12 also available - the same as the hd version. 

Android version isn't the issue here, although I'm not sure why they would make the app available on one and not the other. Hopefully just an oversight

Ceejay_London
Scholar

This must surely be an oversight - the developer hasn't put the device ID for the 4K model into the app so the app store does not show it for download? My 4K device has Android 12 installed since yesterday and Now is not coming up for download.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Fwiw, I managed to sideload the apk onto my 4K Google TV with no issues.

Its a shame that people have to go to these lengths just to get their app onto a device but there you go.

Chris_V
Mentor

Where did you find an apk that works on the 4KGTV?