cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

My tv no longer supports now tv after 27th august?

So we have had a message pop up on our tv today that now tv will no longer work on our tv from 27th august? I’ve paid for a year and still have until December? So will I be getting a refund for the remaining time I can’t use? And because you say it, I don’t use now tv in any other way and won’t be. I think it’s awful that this sort of thing happens which would force people to buy new TVs every 5 years! Talk about ridiculous!

• LG
23 REPLIES 23
nst
Elite

This is really annoying and I totally understand your frustration.

I certainly hope that if this is your only mechanism available for watching NowTV that you do get a refund for any unused subscription that you purchased.

I understand this doesnt help you one bit... but believe that it seems like a bad idea to rely on Smart TV built in apps as this seems almost like an inevitability at some point depending on the age of the TV of course.

NowTV seem to have spread themselves too thinly and are more interested in the quantity of platforms "supported" rather than the quality of the user experience across the board.

It seems to me that the best bet for anyone is to purchase some kind of set top box or stick as you can be sure that if you choose the right one (i.e. Now TV's own hardware!) then you will be supported for years to come.  The other plus side of this is that if technology changes then replacing the set top box is cheaper than replacing the TV.

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User @nst 

Sadly it's a fact of life with technology that as it ages, functionality becomes reduced as providers look to trim costs supporting older devices whether that be mobile phones, tablets or TV's. I have an older (8 years) LG smart TV which is slowly losing some of it support. I suspect that in the coming year or two it will become an expensive monitor!

Or it could be that the manufacturers and NowTV can't reach an agreement on licensing the product which is also a fact of modern technology. 

If NowTV are removing support for older devices, there's every chance they will offer you an alternative means to watch their content free of charge. In May, support for PS3's was removed with every user of that device being emailed a voucher to claim a free NowTV stick. Keep an eye on your junk folder as that's where many of those who were sent the offer found the email.

Of course, it's entirely your choice whether you use an alternative means but if you decide not to, make sure you cancel all your passes before their renewal date to avoid any future charges. You can email customerservices @ nowtv.com (ensuring no spaces) to request a refund if you do go down that route.

nst
Elite

It is certainly advisable not to rely on "older devices" as a withdrawal of support is inevitable.

Its a shame that the service is switched off though.. as im sure owners of such hardware would be happier for the app to continue to function albeit in a reduced capacity rather than lose it altogether.

Although the OP didnt specify how old his LG TV is, I suspect its a few years now.

You can certainly understand the cessation of support for the PS3 (though not a total switch off) - given that the PS3's successor the PS4 is about to be superseded itself!  Id be surprised if there were many serious gamers who would still be using a PS3 nowadays.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Looks like it's the older LG NetCast OS televisions that will be losing the NowTV App on the 24th of August.

Screenshot_2020-07-23-14-16-12.png

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I’m sorry to say this is expected Now TV can not support older systems forever and need to focus on Quality Apps for a smaller group of newer platforms. It is for this reason I would never recommend people to use Smart TV Apps as they will get discontinued support after a while a dedicated streaming box is always the better alternative. 

I wish you well in potentially getting a refund I would advise you to buy something like a Roku or NowTV Stick or maybe even the Apple TV [New App should be ready by end of August]. They will support a good range of apps from various developers and will be supported for years to come. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have just had the same message pop up on my LG Smart TV too. Very frustrated that I will be now forced to purchase a NOW TV stick for me to continue my already paid for subscription. I am hoping NOW TV will send out vouchers to those forced into this same situation as it doesn't feel fair at all to sudden remove a service that was working perfectly. Time will tell if they do the honourable thing.....

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

If you contact NowTV they may send you a free nowtv stick they have done for another person with the same issue.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have also just received this message and must say I  pretty disgusted. My partner and I both have the same LG model as she liked mine when I purchased. As we now live together we have the flexibility of watching in 2 rooms and both of these TVs will be effectively redundant before the new soccer season starts. Presumably wIll  mean 2 Now TV sticks will be required- will Now provide 2 free of charge ?!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

will Now provide 2 free of charge ?!

Probably - they did it for ps3 owners.  Well you should get one at least (unless you have two separate accounts)