cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Live Chat and Higher Team Responses

As many (including me) have posted on here, there are a large number of problems with the AppleTV app. Some reported these issues over a year ago. One of the support team here suggested Live Chat and I was wondering if my experience was fairly typical.

1st Live Chat:

- Run through a list of 'solutions' for if third party items could be causing the problems' (They weren't).

- Speak with a manager who makes same suggestions.

- Try to insist Apple might be to blame and I should call Apple.

- Finally point out the obvious from evidence that it is the NowTV app

- Advises raised with higher team who will email in 24-48 hours but he couldn't possibly give me their email address or phone number.

No follow up

2nd Live Chat:

- Endless apologies for no response.

- Raises priority.

- Assures me that someone will be in touch but not sure when

- Cuts me off.

2nd Live Chat 2:

- More apologies.

- Assures me again that someone will be in touch

- Cuts me off

2nd Live Chat 3:

- Different person on third attempt that day after twice cut off.

- More apologies.

- Says someone will be in touch.

- Ask to speak with manager.

- Manager will email me in 24 hours.

No follow up

3rd Live Chat:

- Technical team will email me when they are ready and have fixed the problems (that have been documented by others on here over a year ago).

- Ask to speak with manager.

- Manager unavailable but we promise will email within 24 hours.

In short - Trying to pass the blame to third parties, promising responses in 48 hours that don't happen, promise manager's will email in 24 hours which doesn't happen and then expects me to believe yet another promise that I will be emailed in 24 hours. Is this typical or am I just having bad luck?

42 REPLIES 42
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy wrote:

....I'm a big Modern Family fan too!

Arn't we all 😉

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User The gift cards work out cheaper eg http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3179440.htm?tag=ar:shop:nowtv:3monthentpass  (£5 a month)

Boxes with passes can work out even cheaper, you just add the pass from the box in the final month of your current pass.  In past you could buy a box with  6 months entertainment pass or 4 months movies for £19.99.  Offers are often posted on the forum.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not sure why the NowTV team have merged this thread with my old thread? The old thread was about AppleTV issues including permission denied for Modern Family Season 7 and asking NowTV for help. The new thread was asking the community about their experiences with the NowTV support team generally and seeing if I have just been unlucky. Very different questions.

nickmorc
Expert 2

I am another one that has increasingly got fed up with Now Tv and their poor response to updating the app on the 4th Gen Apple Tv. Smiley Sad

Whilst I apprecaite they only want you to have their black boxes, this kind of attitude stinks in this modern world.

I have been a loyal supporter since Now Tv started and have had continued active accounts, I have treated Now Tv well, so its about time they got their act together and did something, by updating the app.

Therefore the mods on this forum need to send all these complaints to their bosses at Sky TV. Smiley Wink

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

Any advice @Anonymous User? 🙂

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @nickmorc

Thanks for getting in touch with us we appreciate that the Now TV app on Apple TV has quite a few bugs and we have raised these to the concerned people. However the issue with updating the app on Apple TV is Apple and their 3rd party app developers are the ones who push updates out for the app and Now TV just don't have control over this unfortunately this is down to the rules of having the app on Apple TV is that they have control over it so although we can and have sent information back we don't control when this is rolled out to the app for fixes. So until Apple themselves roll the updates out at the moment there is very little Now TV can do to help resolve the bugs.

Cheers

Eddie

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User Please feel free to prove me wrong, but I believe your response is disingenuous for the following reasons:

Your response appears to refer to the 2nd and 3rd generation AppleTVs. This used a different OS and more limited hardware. These products do not include an app store and are not open to developers outside of Apple. For this older hardware Apple developed a number of apps themselves which came bundled with the OS. Certainly for these I cannot expect NowTV to fix the bugs.

However the AppleTV 4 and the included new tvOS opened up the platform to independent developers, just as iOS 2.1 introduced the app store to and third party apps for the iPhone 3G where it had not been possible for the original iPhone. Since the newer AppleTV has been released, hundreds of apps including AirBnB, Guitar Hero, Tinder and Net-A-Porter have been released without the involvement of Apple's developers.

If NowTV is simply looking to patch the old, very dated app designed for the AppleTV 2 and 3, then you are correct. You are reliant on Apple to do this. However NowTV has the opportunity to create an entirely new and significantly improved app for the AppleTV 4 without having to wait for Apple to do it for you.

@Anonymous User If you can point out to me why this is not the case I will apologise and start to pester Apple instead; however unless, for some unknown reason, Apple is not affording NowTV the same opportunity to create apps for the AppleTV 4 that is available to everyone else, then your answer appears to be misleading and indicitive of a lazy approach by NowTV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User 

I would not be privy to the information surrounding the deal that Apple and Now TV set up together however i do know that we don't control updates for the Apple TV app on 4th gen or any other Generation if we did then we would say we do and update it where we can. How do i know this you ask?  Well because i asked the powers that be and that is what i was told. We also cannot add another app or build another app as again we have no control over it. We work with developers on all other devices except Apple TV and Mac.  If this changes soon or in the near future then thats great we will be able to roll out updates or as you say create a new app with less or no bugs at all however in the meantime we can only do what we've been doing and thats send the information to the concerned people and hope that an update will be rolled out soon to repair the issues that customers have been experiancing.

Cheers

Eddie

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So based on your reply @Anonymous User is correct in that your current Apple TV 4th Gen offering is provided by Apple which is simply a standlone Apple TV4 / TVos app version of the previous offerings on Apple TV 2 & 3? 

Appreciate your comments @Anonymous User, but you need to be liasing with your current iOS/iPad/iPhone development team to get them to port their app to Apple TV 4 / TVos rather than relying on the current stop gap solution via Apple.  Previous mods on this forum have asked for what we want in an app and thats it in a nutshell - port the iOS app to TVos and keep updates accross all 3 platforms.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User Could you speak to  said powers that be and tell them to pull their finger out?! Seriously, Apple TV 4th generation was a complete shift in direction for what Apple is doing with Apple TV. And 18 months after it launched, Now TV is still in the dark ages. Frankly, I don't buy the answer you're giving about it being in Apple's court. Why are Now TV the only app having to rely on Apple for updates? Netflix, iPlayer, et al all control things themselves. If you're blaming Apple because of some deal, then it's time to scrap that deal and get into an approach that everyone else is doing. Like I say though, I genuinely feel, after months and months of complaining (and getting different answers from different people at different times) that it's all just excuses. I'd far rather the truth: tell us you're abandoning the app, that there won't be any further updates. But to spend 18 months telling (lying?) about forcoming updates that never come, it's awful customer service. If you're going to update the app, make it happen. If you're not, tell us you're abandoning it.