cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Live Channel Judder (Roku)

Roku Streaming Stick+ 8.1.0, Now TV 4.6 (Build 733)

Ever since the recent Now TV app update on Roku I’ve experienced excessive juddering on the live channels, but only the non-Sky named ones (Gold, Syfy.etc), Sky One.etc seem to be perfectly fine.

It’s exceptionally noticeable on Gold and Syfy, to the point of being unwatchable.

So far I’ve tried:

• App reinstall / update
• Full factory reset
• Removed all post processing from TV and Receiver
• Tried “Auto-adjust display refresh rate” on Roku

Router is sat in the same room and has excellent communication with the Roku, happily plays 4K YouTube with zero issues.

No luck anywhere.

Oddly enough - catchup on NowTV of the very same programmes (for instance Dad’s Army on Gold Live vs Catchup) works perfectly, but the live channel is juddering like mad.

Anyone experiencing the same issue or have any ideas? Only having 4 out of 11 live channels is very disappointing at the moment!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi All, 

Just another update for you all. 

We've pushed this same update to the other channels on the NOW TV Service which include: 

Cartoon Network
Boomerang
Nickelodeon
NickToons
NickJr.
Cartoonito
Comedy Central
FOX
Discovery
MTV
Nat Geo Wild 

We appreciate your feedback so far, if you could continue to let us know how you're getting on it would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Karl

View solution in original post

65 REPLIES 65
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Looks like Amazon Prime UHD video's now seem to be playing fine on my Roku Stick Plus when watching The Grand Tour Smiley Happy

Just need NowTV / Roku to sort out the terrible juddering on the non Sky live channels on the NowTV App and the horrendous frame skipping on the Sky News App since OS 8.1 Smiley Mad

@Karl-F  are your NowTV Engineering Team in discussions with your counterparts over in Roku which you work closely with in getting the other outstanding faults reported on here fixed ?

BBC and Amazon seems to have sorted out their broken Apps since the release of OS 8.1 on the Roku Stick Plus and Roku Express.

Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @schnapps

Thanks for letting me know. 

I'm going to chase them for an update to see if they've heard about this issue from our other contact channels, and see if this has been raised with the relevant teams. 

Sorry again for any inconvenience this has caused. 

Karl

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Karl-F wrote:

Hi @schnapps

Thanks for letting me know. 

I'm going to chase them for an update to see if they've heard about this issue from our other contact channels, and see if this has been raised with the relevant teams. 

Sorry again for any inconvenience this has caused. 

Karl

NOW TV Team

This was first raised on this thread on May 26th by @Anonymous User

'inconvenience' doesn't come close to describing our frustrations at the issue plus the lack of service from tagged mods since the initial report.

Maybe in future we should get @schnapps to take up our fight as he obviously has a closer relationship with the higher ups than the rest of us.

This will probably be my last post in this forum such is the bad feeling generated by NowTVs refusal for the past 12 days to engage with customers they clearly only regard with disdain.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Whilst I am certainly pleased to hear some recognition of this ongoing issue from someone who may finally get a solution sorted...

as mentioned above - 12 days is too damn long to hear nothing from Now TV, especially after perusing multiple paths of contact, only to be ignored until today.

12 days of paying for 4 usable live channels out of 11 is frankly absurd.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is getting absolutely ridiculous now, these non sky channels are totally unwatchable   The judder gives me nausea. 

It's clearly a fault that Now TV needs to sort out, but the lack of information shows that Now TV aren't that bothered to deal with this issue.  

Only 4 watchable channels on the entertainment pass its really p*** poor. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It is now another 5 days further on and still I've not found anything - even an acknowledgement or a message to say the problem is being worked on would be appreciated.

It is particularly disappointing for myself. We bought 3 Roku boxes and subscribed to Now. For one day it was great although TVPlayer didn't work. The next day it updated to Software version: 8.1.0 Build: 4113. This sorted out the TVPlayer issue but the judder on live Entertainment programmes has made them unwatchable.

I've tried every possible setting on the boxes, TVs and streaming stick but nothing makes any difference. It is definitely a software issue.

Whether the problem is Roku, Now or Gold I don't know. Perhaps someone in this forum could be kind enough to let us know where exactly the problem lies and who to contact to bring it to their attention?

One final point is that there are health and safety issues with this level of judder which has the potential to cause a seizure on anyone with photo-sensitive epilepsy. There should be a warning or the affected channels removed until the solution is found. They are not really watchable anyway.

Thank you for reading this.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

It is now another 5 days further on and still I've not found anything - even an acknowledgement or a message to say the problem is being worked on would be appreciated.

It is particularly disappointing for myself. We bought 3 Roku boxes and subscribed to Now. For one day it was great although TVPlayer didn't work. The next day it updated to Software version: 8.1.0 Build: 4113. This sorted out the TVPlayer issue but the judder on live Entertainment programmes has made them unwatchable.

I've tried every possible setting on the boxes, TVs and streaming stick but nothing makes any difference. It is definitely a software issue.

Whether the problem is Roku, Now or Gold I don't know. Perhaps someone in this forum could be kind enough to let us know where exactly the problem lies and who to contact to bring it to their attention?

One final point is that there are health and safety issues with this level of judder which has the potential to cause a seizure on anyone with photo-sensitive epilepsy. There should be a warning or the affected channels removed until the solution is found. They are not really watchable anyway.

Thank you for reading this.

It's pretty obvious by now no-one at NowTV cares about that

I think the funniest thing I read was when one long standing poster asked this question of a mod (it's on the previous page), "are your NowTV Engineering Team in discussions with your counterparts over in Roku which you work closely with in getting the other outstanding faults reported on here fixed ?", and I thought, surely they don't believe what they've just written?!?

What made the question not so funny was the fact that the particular poster had his question totally ignored by the mod he addressed it to, instead receiving a condescending answer as if this was news to them (5 pages in to the thread). If the people at NowTV can treat one of their more loyal customers in this disdainful way what hope have the rest of us got in getting answers/solutions.

The attitude taken by the mods on this particular issue and their lack of haste in getting something reassuring out to customers has convinced me to jump ship once my current passes are up. 

Goodnight and goodbye NowTV. Maybe one day you'll learn the importance of putting the 'care' into customer care.

nowswaish
Scholar 3

Yet another week has passed with no solution from either Roku or NowTV, which is poor.

Ive never had much faith in Roku so will go back to using my LG TV and sell the Roku Stick on eBay.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The Roku devices are fantastic with the Stick+ getting another software update this morning. The Roku Stick+ has been almost flawless with the BBC trialling uhd/hdr for the World Cup. Roku offers so much more than just the 'normal' players.

It's NowTV which has been the letdown with support disappearing and no apparent interest by Sky/NowTV in fixing anything. I'm beginning to think they are working under some bizarre assumption that we'll either jump ship to 'big' Sky in an attempt to raise more revenue for that platform, or that we'll opt for the SkyQ over broadband service to start some time, I think, this year or early next. They couldn't be more wrong with this household.

Of course I could be wrong and it really is a case of NowTV not giving two hoots about its customers with the shocking way they've been treating us. Thank God there are other ways to get a tv fix outside of Sky/NowTV (or should that be NeverTV).

nowswaish
Scholar 3

Well I am not convinced by Roku. I started off with one of thier Roku Express boxes and that was appauling, everything juddery as it only outputs at 60fps; do they not realise that the whole world is not on USA standards?

The Plus stick is OK but I dislike the remote (full of short cuts to services I would not use) and find the majority of the additional channels not worth bothering with.

I will sell mine, use the LG app on the main TV and get a Now stick for the kitchen.