cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Live Channel Judder (Roku)

Roku Streaming Stick+ 8.1.0, Now TV 4.6 (Build 733)

Ever since the recent Now TV app update on Roku I’ve experienced excessive juddering on the live channels, but only the non-Sky named ones (Gold, Syfy.etc), Sky One.etc seem to be perfectly fine.

It’s exceptionally noticeable on Gold and Syfy, to the point of being unwatchable.

So far I’ve tried:

• App reinstall / update
• Full factory reset
• Removed all post processing from TV and Receiver
• Tried “Auto-adjust display refresh rate” on Roku

Router is sat in the same room and has excellent communication with the Roku, happily plays 4K YouTube with zero issues.

No luck anywhere.

Oddly enough - catchup on NowTV of the very same programmes (for instance Dad’s Army on Gold Live vs Catchup) works perfectly, but the live channel is juddering like mad.

Anyone experiencing the same issue or have any ideas? Only having 4 out of 11 live channels is very disappointing at the moment!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi All, 

Just another update for you all. 

We've pushed this same update to the other channels on the NOW TV Service which include: 

Cartoon Network
Boomerang
Nickelodeon
NickToons
NickJr.
Cartoonito
Comedy Central
FOX
Discovery
MTV
Nat Geo Wild 

We appreciate your feedback so far, if you could continue to let us know how you're getting on it would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Karl

View solution in original post

65 REPLIES 65
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi. Noticing really bad judder on the sky news app - live stream using a roku 3.

Other sky live channels seem fine. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps wrote:

Hi Guys,

Can you also check out if like me you are seeing terrible judder on the live stream on the Sky News App, where the on demand content looks fine.

Cheers.

Yip. It used to be one of the best apps for its dependability. I mentioned this last week on another thread when I had the 'kick back out to Home screen' problems with an earlier update Roku had pushed out. It's now unwatchable 'live'. 

See my post on this page https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Set-top-boxes-Smart-TVs/Now-Tv-app-not-working-with-roku-box/td-p/468...

Anonymous User
Not applicable
It’s certainly hard to confirm any difference quality-wise when dealing with this juddering... but I’m sure I’m personally seeing an improvement across the board on the Sky live channels and the on demand content.

But I will say that the non Sky live channels seem much worse than before in both quality, resolution and the juddering is most extreme when moment is high on screen or the original age of the programme is high (most of Gold’s content especially)
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Waiting to see if other Roku Plus owners are in the same boat as us with regards to the PQ stuttering on the non Sky live channels.

All non Sky live channels look horrendous to my eyes where Fox is the most noticeable Smiley Mad

I have tagged @Karl-F the Community Manager to make him aware of this thread (even if nobody else reports an issue on here).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Quick update.

After a brief attempt as raising the issue over on the Roku forums to try and get more eyes / help on the problems - as expected I’ve been pointed back to contacting Now TV, Roku are not interested.

(As per their request though - they’ve logged my serial number for what it’s worth)
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Leave it with @Karl-F the Community Manager for now, where both the NowTV Tech Team who work closely with the Roku Engineers can bang their heads together to come up with a solution fix for us Roku Stick Plus owners in the UK running OS 8.1.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Had an email from the Beeb today saying they need to do more investigations re the problems with live playback on their app. Fingers crossed we get some movement soon on the problems with both of these platforms. Shame we have to chase up NowTV/BBC to get fixes for things clearly caused by a 'dodgy' Roku update. Reading the US Roku forums it would appear the Roku updates of late have been introducing bugs instead of squashing them.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Any updates on these issues guys? @Karl-F @Anonymous User

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Almost a week now and no input from the team. Very poor customer experience Smiley Sad

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Admittedly, I was hoping for a much swifter response, considering all except 4 channels or so are basically unwatchable.