cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Live Channel Judder (Roku)

Roku Streaming Stick+ 8.1.0, Now TV 4.6 (Build 733)

Ever since the recent Now TV app update on Roku I’ve experienced excessive juddering on the live channels, but only the non-Sky named ones (Gold, Syfy.etc), Sky One.etc seem to be perfectly fine.

It’s exceptionally noticeable on Gold and Syfy, to the point of being unwatchable.

So far I’ve tried:

• App reinstall / update
• Full factory reset
• Removed all post processing from TV and Receiver
• Tried “Auto-adjust display refresh rate” on Roku

Router is sat in the same room and has excellent communication with the Roku, happily plays 4K YouTube with zero issues.

No luck anywhere.

Oddly enough - catchup on NowTV of the very same programmes (for instance Dad’s Army on Gold Live vs Catchup) works perfectly, but the live channel is juddering like mad.

Anyone experiencing the same issue or have any ideas? Only having 4 out of 11 live channels is very disappointing at the moment!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi All, 

Just another update for you all. 

We've pushed this same update to the other channels on the NOW TV Service which include: 

Cartoon Network
Boomerang
Nickelodeon
NickToons
NickJr.
Cartoonito
Comedy Central
FOX
Discovery
MTV
Nat Geo Wild 

We appreciate your feedback so far, if you could continue to let us know how you're getting on it would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Karl

View solution in original post

65 REPLIES 65
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

My Roku Stick Plus has just had the update whilst i was watching the Rugby, where i am now on firmware 8.1.0 build 4133~50 which was forced automatically onto my device, together with the NowTV App going from software version 3.*** to ver 4.6.733.

Like you have reported the picture on Gold and SyFy is now stuttering badly and unwatchable, where it was perfectly fine and silky smooth this afternoon before the update Smiley MadSmiley Mad:smileymad

Will be interesting to see what other Roku Stick Plus owners are seeing and what build version of 8.1.0 they are showing on their devices.

Anybody on a higher build number than 8.1.0 4133 ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Whilst i deeply sympathise - I’m glad I’m not going mad and this is a genuine problem!

Fingers crossed a fix will be rolled out swiftly!
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I will wait and see what other Roku Stick Plus owners report on here if they notice any stuttering of the picture on the non Sky live Channels like Gold & SyFy etc and what firmware build version are showing on their devices.

If they are on a higher build version and notice no juddering then hopefully there is a newer firmware build version out there that me and you perhaps haven't received yet ?

Should they notice the picture stuttering like us, then i will then tag the NowTV Forum Team so they can liaise with both their Tech Team and the Roku Engineers to find a patch fix for the problem.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

The Fox channel is juddering extremely badly to my eyes Smiley Mad

One thing that i have noticed since the Roku firmware update and newer NowTV App software version has been rolled out on my Roku Stick Plus is that when watching content either live or on demand on my NowTV entertainment & movie passes that the content is now playing back according to my Panasonic TV at 50hz where before the update all NowTV content was showing 25hz on my TV.

This might be my mind playing tricks on me, but apart from the non Sky live channels that is causing stuttering, everything else looks a tad better with regards to picture quailty (need to double check tonight where most of my movie and TV show viewing is done in lower light conditions with some bias lighting behind the TV).

It's a shame i haven't got a nowtv sports pass to check if the motion has improved during fast moving camera pans when watching sport.

The Auto refresh rate is definitely working on my Roku Stick Plus where watching Netflix or Amazon it displays 24hz when pressing the info button on my TV remote.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User @commanda6

Just wondering are you seeing any juddering of the picture on the non live Sky channels such as Fox, Gold SyFy etc like me and @Anonymous User on your Roku Stick Plus Smiley Mad ?

Also can you confirm what Roku Firmware and build version you are currently on and the Nowtv App software number showing on your device ?

Cheers Guys. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User @commanda6

Just wondering are you seeing any juddering of the picture on the non live Sky channels such as Fox, Gold SyFy etc like me and @Anonymous User on your Roku Stick Plus Smiley Mad ?

Also can you confirm what Roku Firmware and build version you are currently on and the Nowtv App software number showing on your device ?

Cheers Guys. 

I'll get back to you guys a little later. I've had to have my Stick Plus replaced as the previous one was losing power quite often. When I get some 'me time' later I'll have it set up again for use.

Before the old stick+ went back it had updated to the software @schnapps is now on and my Panny also was showing 50Hz frame rate with a noticeable improvement in the picture quality on Catch Up/Boxsets. I'd managed to catch a short piece of football before my sub run out (football season over) and I'd have to say there was only a slight improvement in the overall picture quality at 50Hz. Still needs more work done on it.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User @schnapps

Roku version 8.1.0 build 4133-50

Nowtv app version 4.6 build 733

Catch up & Boxsets playing fine at 50Hz

Sky branded live channels looking good at 50Hz

ALL other live channels stuttering and showing as 50Hz

The channels that are stuttering live are all playing ok on Catch up at 50Hz

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks for helping to confirm - sounds like we’re all having the same issue
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Anonymous User @schnapps

Roku version 8.1.0 build 4133-50

Nowtv app version 4.6 build 733

Catch up & Boxsets playing fine at 50Hz

Sky branded live channels looking good at 50Hz

ALL other live channels stuttering and showing as 50Hz

The channels that are stuttering live are all playing ok on Catch up at 50Hz

Hi @schnapps @Anonymous User @Anonymous User

It looks like I have a different OS build to @Anonymous User mine is 8.1 build 4113 my NowTV app version is 4.6 build 733, I now have auto adjust refresh rate turned on as I think they might have improved function a bit and it hasn't caused HDCP issues like it did before 

I saw motion judder/stuttering when watching sci-fi live channel last night. (I was watching The equaliser) It would go through periods of motion judder/stuttering for 10 to 20 seconds and then be completely fine the next few minutes and the process would repeat. I've only seen this happen with sci-fi channel so far, but the fact that the issue isn't constant and doesn't occur on all channels could well mean that the streaming stick plus isn't the cause of the issue. The cause of the problem could well lie elsewhere .

Either way, this needs to be investigated by the @Anonymous User to try and figure out what's going on. No one should be jumping to conclusions at this point is the what the couse is as this certainly seems to be quite a bizarre issue and may not be a simple thing to sort out

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi Guys,

Can you also check out if like me you are seeing terrible judder on the live stream on the Sky News App, where the on demand content looks fine.

Cheers.