cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Live Channel Judder (Roku)

Roku Streaming Stick+ 8.1.0, Now TV 4.6 (Build 733)

Ever since the recent Now TV app update on Roku I’ve experienced excessive juddering on the live channels, but only the non-Sky named ones (Gold, Syfy.etc), Sky One.etc seem to be perfectly fine.

It’s exceptionally noticeable on Gold and Syfy, to the point of being unwatchable.

So far I’ve tried:

• App reinstall / update
• Full factory reset
• Removed all post processing from TV and Receiver
• Tried “Auto-adjust display refresh rate” on Roku

Router is sat in the same room and has excellent communication with the Roku, happily plays 4K YouTube with zero issues.

No luck anywhere.

Oddly enough - catchup on NowTV of the very same programmes (for instance Dad’s Army on Gold Live vs Catchup) works perfectly, but the live channel is juddering like mad.

Anyone experiencing the same issue or have any ideas? Only having 4 out of 11 live channels is very disappointing at the moment!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi All, 

Just another update for you all. 

We've pushed this same update to the other channels on the NOW TV Service which include: 

Cartoon Network
Boomerang
Nickelodeon
NickToons
NickJr.
Cartoonito
Comedy Central
FOX
Discovery
MTV
Nat Geo Wild 

We appreciate your feedback so far, if you could continue to let us know how you're getting on it would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Karl

View solution in original post

65 REPLIES 65
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

On my Roku Stick Plus i haven't manually updated the firmware yet where i am still on version 8.0.1 build 4090 (even though version 8.1.0 showing available for my device when i check for updates).

Think i will hold off as long as possible updating my Roku Stick or if the software update is automatically forced onto my Roku Stick without my interaction.

It's a shame that Roku's and NowTV doesn't offer users a grace period where you can roll back to a previous firmware version for a short time until some bugs and glitches are ironed out (if it's not broke then don't fix it).

Only thing that i could suggest where i doubt it would make any difference is to try another forced software update on the Roku stick by pressing the Home button x 5, quickly followed by pressing the FF button x 3, then quickly pressing the FF button x 2 on the RC to access the hidden secret menu.

Update the software even if you are on the same version.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Could well be the Roku 8.1 update that’s caused the issue.

I’ve tried the forced firmware update to no avail - still massive judder on the non-Sky named channels.

It is a massive shame as I’m finding the Roku Stick+ a fantastic piece of kit and before this problem - worked excellently with Now TV (well, having come from the Apple TV experience of Now TV - anything’s an improvement..)

Fingers crossed a solution can be found
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Yeah the Roku Stick Plus is a cracking streaming device for the money Smiley Happy

I am assuming your Roku Stick is connected directly into your TV HDMI port and not plugged in via an AV Receiver or Soundbar.

There is a few Roku Stick Plus owners on here, maybe they can test the NowTV channels in question on the newer firmware and report their findings.

If my Roku Stick Plus does automatically force a firmware update on my device i will post back what i am seeing on the non Sky channels where i am septable to judder and motion artefacts when watching TV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I’ve tried both plugging directly into the TV and also the receiver - both with the same result

(reassuring I guess - could do without having to bury myself in the receiver menus!)
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I will check out the live streams on both SyFy and Gold during the next 24 hours or so just in case it's also happening on the older firmware as well on the Roku Stick Plus.

If i notice any judder i will then try the same exercise on my nowtv smart box just in case it's a streaming / broadcasting related issue rather than the devices themselves.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Watched about an hour of Fire Fly live on the SyFy and Porridge live on the Gold channel and both look fine to me with no sign of judder on my Roku Stick Plus on firmware version 8.0.1.

Out of curisoity when you Roku Stick Plus is set to Auto Refresh Rate what frame rate does it show on the Sky live channels and SyFy & Gold channels ?

For me when i select the info input button on my Panasonic TV remote controller it's saying Sky live channels at 25hz where SyFy and Gold are saying 50hz.

Wondering if you are getting the same frame rates as me or for some unknown reason SyFy and Gold are displaying a different frame rate on your device.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Right - just to ensure everything’s as equal as possible I knocked the Roku down to 1080p output, direct into TV (no receiver), no post processing.

Adaptive refresh on too just to make sure!

Showing 60hz on Sky channels (sky one looking very good as usual)

Gold / Syfy / Fox (all non-“sky” channels) showing as 50hz - and still extremely juddery!

*Additional*

The resolution also appears to have changed if I remember “pre-judder life” correctly - the black bars that usually accompanied a lot of content on Gold (due to the general age of the programming) have been removed - the “Gold” logo is much larger than it used to be

Plus of course - judder!

Strange...
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I know this is defeating the object and not ideal, but what happens if you switch off the Auto refresh rate setting and use fixed at 60hz (in theory it should be worse) ?

Strange that the nowtv Sky live channels on my Roku Stick Plus is saying 25hz which i would expect, where your Roku Stick Plus is showing 60hz ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Apologies! - I meant 50hz for the Sky channels too (which should be in with Now TV in general and UK broadcasts)

As for switching off adaptive refresh - everything jumps up to 60hz, and as expected, the non-sky channels are still juddering like mad

Sky channels still looking good...!