cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Like many I'm getting NOW tv no longer supported on this Device

Like many with an LG TV I'm getting NOW TV no longer supported on this device, ? I recognise the tv is more than 5 years old. I've paid for a 3 month Sky Sports pass but obviously can't access it now so what's the solution? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Netcast LG TV from 2014 or earlier?

Your TV will have been putting up notices about this for the last few weeks. 

All older devices get dropped in time, as the makers of apps decline to support any longer the lack of function, capability, security, and processing power, in older devices for the minority, at the expense of the majority with more recent devices without these limitations, limitations that would otherwise hold back what the latest versions of the app could do.

Even the NowTV white boxes are falling behind in functionality, though they are still supported.

And I’m not sure what you think NowTV could say to the owners of these old sets who want to go on watching NowTV beyond ‘buy a stick’, except maybe ‘have a look at our list of supported devices, and see if you have any of these you can watch on’.

Though NowTV have not just said ‘buy a stick’ and left you to it; they have asked those affected to contact Live Chat with particulars of their LG Netcast TVs, where they may learn something to their advantage.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
bacillus
Expert

buy a cheap now tv box/stick from ebay.

nst
Elite

and for goodness sake dont create yet another thread on this subject.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Disappointing post , I could understand a comment about support for HDMI 1.2 Or 1.3 or similar being dropped ,  but a reply to buy a stick is not helpful. The software worked before so what have they changed. I don't even recall seeing advance notice of the ui change.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Netcast LG TV from 2014 or earlier?

Your TV will have been putting up notices about this for the last few weeks. 

All older devices get dropped in time, as the makers of apps decline to support any longer the lack of function, capability, security, and processing power, in older devices for the minority, at the expense of the majority with more recent devices without these limitations, limitations that would otherwise hold back what the latest versions of the app could do.

Even the NowTV white boxes are falling behind in functionality, though they are still supported.

And I’m not sure what you think NowTV could say to the owners of these old sets who want to go on watching NowTV beyond ‘buy a stick’, except maybe ‘have a look at our list of supported devices, and see if you have any of these you can watch on’.

Though NowTV have not just said ‘buy a stick’ and left you to it; they have asked those affected to contact Live Chat with particulars of their LG Netcast TVs, where they may learn something to their advantage.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

My issue was the comment of just buy a stick,  rather than your helpful response of talking to live chat first. So I appreciate your constructive response.

Although I still think the new ui is awful, for example to get to setting scroll all the way down and right, why not just once to the left when on the bottom , trying to find content using a stick and remote is a lot slower as well. I don't mind security upgrades protecting devices / user or buying new tech , just not a fan of the ui .

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Chris thanks for the advice, I didn’t get very far on the live chat as seemed to just go around in a loop with those bots! Anyway from the original reply I received  I decided to purchase a stick but haven’t received it yet so will see how I get on with that tho it doesn’t sound like they  are necessarily the answer. 
cheers

Steve 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

There’s only one Nowbot; a well-intentioned device to help you navigate the Help, but a pest when you are pretty clear that you need to speak to a human, and can’t get there.

So a lot of people report a bad experience with Live Chat, when they never actually got to it.

Though not as bad as the guy who found a thread called Live Chat on the Community, typed in his query, and waited for Live Chat to respond 🤣

I think we need a ban on thread titles that might make people think they are in Live Chat, and we need for the Nowbot to explain that it isn’t Live Chat either, and take you there after, say, a couple of its suggestions are misfires.

The agents on Live Chat are probably getting pretty fed up with me starting a Live Chat just to check things are OK, after someone has claimed it isn’t there, or is taking ages to respond; but here, for the record, is what it looks like when you get to the gateway to Live Chat:-

844D5364-383A-4FE8-9074-A837848CE9CB.png

And unless it says that on the tin, so to speak, it isn’t that in the tin 😛

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Rubbish service. Bought a White Box 3 years ago and now I'm told it's obsolete.  Good job I didn't buy a car or something off them. Absolute bunch of scammers.  My device worked last week, no trouble but apparently is old fashioned this week. Just a crooked way to extract money off people to buy another set top box. As if they didn't make enough money off people. My toaster is 25 years old, and still works. good job NOW TV isn't in charge of making toast. I've reported this scam to the CMA and await their response.

SweetBlitz
Expert 3

White boxes cost £10.  Many of them came with passes that made buying the box cheaper than buying the passes.  They were a loss leader for Now TV because the equivalent Roku device cost 3 times as much.

A month’s entertainment pass costs as much as a white box.  You can get a stick with a cinema AND entertainment pass for less than £25, which make the effective price of the stick £3.  On Black Friday this will probably cost less. The sticks are far better than the white boxes as you can pause live channels and get HD if you pay for Boost and 50fps on sport which stops the flicker.