cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

LG tv and Boost

Does anyone know if the LG NOW tv app is compatible with Full HD? The last time I bought a sports pass the frame rate was causing some weird issues with football. Has an update solved this?

• LG
10 REPLIES 10
Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User still no 50fps on LG TV's I'm afraid.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-boost

RoyB
Legend

@Saint1976 @Anonymous User @schnapps @gavs82008 

I had to drill down to this link to find the LG information:-

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-highest-streaming-quality-for-my-device

I have Boost, a Roku Express 4K on one of my LG TVs, and a Roku Premiere 4K on the other.

I think Now is better on the Express than on that TV, but I will look at this again.

How do I get the number up to show what the streaming rate is, though? And I don’t have Sport; does the 50fps matter for the other passes?

I’m surprised the Roku Premiere isn’t listed on that page, and I’m sceptical that the Roku boxes on which the Now black box and other Now boxes were based won’t do what the Now versions will do. I suppose it’s possible, but I think it more likely they have been accidentally left out, like the Premieres. 

If that page is correct though, I should be swapping the Express onto my flagship 65” GX, and the Premiere onto the 43” Nano: whereas the only difference that Roku publish is some extra Apple capability on the Express that I’m not bothered about.

Thoughts?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @RoyB

The Roku devices doesn't offer the streaming quality figure when pressing the info or up direction button like the Amazon Fire Stick, Youview Box, Samsung Smart TV etc NOW App.

50fps playback is only available and needed with NOW Sports if you take up the additional Boost Membership to improve fast action motion and adds more detail to the motion of a ball for example.

The streaming figure that pops up is only for the picture resolution information ie around 4800 is usually 720p and 7800 to 8000 usually denotes 1080p.

There is no information about 50fps on the higher figure but your eyes can easily judge from my experience if its a 25fps or 50fps feed. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @RoyB

There are a few specific devices missing from that list on the link (I did ask NOW to update the list for the missing devices for full clarity).

Both the Roku Express and Roku Premier (UK version) will offer the full Boost features.

With regards to 50fps playback on other NOW memberships it's not really necessary and I like 25fps for movies where you get the Cinematic look of film at low frame rate.

I didn't like the 50fps smoothness of a couple of movies shot at 50fps such has The Hobbit for example.

IMO higher frame rates are only needed for sports where I reckon 100fps would look amazing when it evently arrives in the main stream with compatible 100fps playback televisions. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Just to follow-up from what @Saint1976  has mentioned. Yes it is compatiable with Boost for 1080p and 5.1. 

Annoyingly still not supported by the 50fps which is the killer for sports. 

If you don't watch sports, then Boost works as expected on LG TVs. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks to both of you. This really is pretty stupid - whoever is to blame. Fortunately, I have a BT box where this isn't an issue. However, I notice the BT box does not deliver a clean picture when using the Now tv app when watching football. There is a slight grain you can see when the camera pans. Other household members couldn't see it at first but did when I pointed it out. One of those things you cannot unsee once you have seen it. Wish I knew what caused it. I also have a Fire tv stick lying around so will give that a try and see if that's any good.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Have to admit I totally see your coming from. From the old days when I did used to watch occasional sport on NOW without boost sports was very poor and off putting. 

Having have an LG TV in my days I know how you feel!

Something I do know is that using my Amazon Fire stick from the time to time I do watch sports, its crisp sharp. More so if your able to get a hold of the adapter and hard wire it. 

Plus Amazon sticks are fully supported by 50fps for Boost 😎

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update:

So having subscribed to one of the Sky sports packages with Boost I decided to see if there was much difference using the apps I have. Here's what I found.

1) 2016 LG oled tv using on board Now tv app:
Waste of time. Low frame rate induces feeling of sea-sickness. The 760p picture is acceptable. The frame rate is the killer here - unwatchable for me. I don't suppose this app will ever be updated and would be really cheesed off if this was my only source. Whoever is responsible for this state of affairs should hang their head in shame and be reminded that it is 2021.

Low frame rate and 760p.

2) BT Ultra HD box using Now tv app:
2016 box from BT - I see a new one featuring HDR has just been released. Proper frame rate here and full 1080p. Unfortunately, I can see a very faint misty haze on the picture. Other members of the household only see this when pointed out to them. To me it is obvious. Not sure if the new box has this artefact. The box is connected to the tv via HDMI through a Marantz amp so it might be something to do with how it processes the picture. I haven't connected the box directly to the tv as it's a little awkward.
50 fps and full 1080p HD.

3) Amazon Fire tv stick:
So I downloaded the Now tv app on to a fire stick I had lying around and stuck it in the side of the tv not expecting a lot. However, surprise surprise, this produced the best picture of the lot. Very clean and no misty haze. When I switched to Sky Sports News I was annoyed to see a slightly glitchy scrolling banner at the bottom of the screen. I'm going to have a look at the tv motion settings over the next few days to see if I can fix this.
50 fps and full 1080p HD

Note: Tv hardwired to router. BT box hardwired to router. Fire stick powered by USB.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

You may find after using the Fire Stick NOW App for a while the same hazy mist when watching the Sky Sports channels has your Youview NOW App.

I own the two same devices and see the hazy mist on both devices when watching Sky Sports live channels with my Boost Membership.

The hazy mist went away for a couple of months, but has started reappearing it's ugly head in the last couple of weeks.

I believe the hazy mist is the camouflage artefacts that people have reported and is more noticeable on a solid black or grey background.

When i change the live Sky Sports channels and the screen goes temporary blank i see the camouflage artefacts now and again on my Fire Stick plus other NOW playback devices with my Boost Membership.

NOW still needs to improve the picture quality on live Sports with Boost where the picture is not a patch compared to watching Amazon Prime Sports on either my 4K Fire Stick or 4K Youview box, where the Amazon Prime stream is crystal clear and sharp with no background picture noise artefacts.