cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

LG TV

Getting message ‘sorry, there was an error in the player’ on every single channel. It’s all working fine on my phone, and every other app on my TV is working fine but this has continued for a few hours not. 

tried reinstalling app, unplugging tv, resetting Wi-Fi

has anyone else had this problem? I really want it to be fixed in the next hour before the play off final starts

33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Oh good - so I’ve now spoken to FIVE do you useless ######, and still haven’t fixed it. Cheers (y)
Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Anonymous User 

Alright, have it your way. 

For the record factory resetting the TV sounds like it would've sorted this error, as mentioned by others.

Seeing as you're set on insulting anyone who tries to help I've no choice but to ban you.

Thanks

Simon

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

There’s a timeline creeping along 5 or 6 years behind time now for when Smart TVs stop being Smart, and the apps are no longer supported. And the shadow is just coming into 2015.

Have you lost any other Players, besides NowTV, or is this the first? Because the others will likely follow over the next couple of years.

If you look in John Lewis, that model of retail probity, you will see that they have a disclaimer that says they cannot guarantee the life of any app on any Smart TV they sell.

Personally, I think that apps provided by going concerns should have a minimum life of five years on any given TV; but even that will have 2015 blinking out shortly.

NowTV aren’t giving out Sticks to LG Webcast TV owners because they got it wrong; they are doing it to maintain the availability of NowTV to those owners, despite the inexorable march of progress.

But yes, a 2015 TV still likely has lots of life left in it, and nobody is asking you to toss it on the scrap heap, in your somewhat emotive words. It still gets terrestrial TV for you, doesn’t it?

And even if all you ever watch on it is NowTV, you can have a Stick to keep that going, and which won’t cost you an extra penny out of your fixed income.

You will join the happy band of those like me, who keeps a 2012 Samsung TV not just Smart, but Smarter than it ever was originally (and faster too) with a Stick to replace the native apps - even the BBC iPlayer - which have fallen by the wayside in the intervening seven years!

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB 

I appreciate your reasoned arguments ... but firstly ... No I do not get terrestrial TV  as do not have an Ariel ... getting Now TV box was my answer to that problem ... and so far it has worked as I must admit to not watching much TV and when someone mentions a program that might be of interest ... I can then find it on catch up.

As to the stick ... The notice on my TV said about Now TV  ending support on 24th August ... up till then I was unaware of any such happening on all LG's with NetCast  (Webcast was not mentioned) ... it was only after an extensive search on google that I discovered that Now had been giving out free sticks to a certain group of it's users ... I myself who was not among this group have only been given one after submitting a 
complaint ... I find this unfair on the others out there that have the NetCast LG TV's  ... but that is my personal opinion

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User I agree that many would not consider a TV bought in 2015 old, but, there is more to it than simply when a TV was bought.

Buying a TV in 2015 doesn't mean it was manufactured in that year. A lot of retailers will still have stock of TV's that are 1 or 2 years old. A quick look on a well known online retailer shows you can still buy 2016 models from them.

NetCast as an operating system is old. It was first implemented in 2007 and superceded by WebOS in 2014. Much like with computer/mobile operating systems, they can only be supported for a period of time before it becomes prohibitive from a cost point of view and a security point of view. Unlike TV's of yesteryear which simply showed you a picture through an aerial, modern TV's are essentially computers and should be treated as such.

I'm in a privileged position as I spent years working in procurement for a high street electronics retailer so understand a lot of the nuances involved in the manufacture and selling of big ticket electronics although as time passes by I'm finding it harder and harder to keep up.

As for NowTV making an error in ending their support for LG TV's with NetCast - not a chance. They've given you a free stick which has cost them about £6 to manufacture and ship. They'll have their money back with one purchase of an entertainment pass and make 10 times that initial cost if you subscribe for 6 months. 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Sorry, I meant Netcast, not Webcast. 

Clearly, my wishful thinking was inventing an OS that covered both Netcast and webOS 😥

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Exactly the same issue message ,sorry there is an error in your player, an hour spent web chat was told it was LG issue another hour with LG support,who was very helpful,tried everything including uninstall and reinstall nowtv app but still the same message strangely can’t on web chat help 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My LG is 2019 model. Now tv app crashed every few minutes with "error" as per all the other threads. As numerous people on various forum have reported, factory reset every time is most certainly not a solution and has not worked for many people. Totally unacceptable to pay for a "premium" product only to miss half the sports and movie action, looking at a NOW tv error message and having to wait several minutes each time whilst the tv and app restarts. NOW tv should fix their app and not fob people off telling them to "factory reset" their equipment each time, IMO.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Have you tried to put your TV back to factory settings? 

This has been mentioned in previous poses within this thread. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks for the suggestion having spent an hour on the phone with LG
support, who was very helpful, he didn't think it would make any difference
and was sure it was a nowtv issue but they are not interested
Cheers
Huzee