cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

LG TV

Getting message ‘sorry, there was an error in the player’ on every single channel. It’s all working fine on my phone, and every other app on my TV is working fine but this has continued for a few hours not. 

tried reinstalling app, unplugging tv, resetting Wi-Fi

has anyone else had this problem? I really want it to be fixed in the next hour before the play off final starts

33 REPLIES 33
Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User when you switch it on it may have a splash screen that says "WebOS". Alternatively, settings>advanced settings> general and at the bottom it will say "about this TV". It will list your operating system (of its only 12 months old then you will be on WebOS), software version etc.

Use the 'check for updates' to make sure the TV has the latest software version. I'll also link another thread where people had the same problem which was solved by doing a factory reset.

IMG_20200804_205041.jpg

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Saint1976  ... Sorry it must be my age but I do not consider a 2015 TV to be that old ... and obviously Now find they have rather blundered or they would not be giving out their sticks FOC to those of us who are on a fixed income and cannot just chuck a perfectly good TV in the rubbish 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Couldn’t agree more.
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

You need to distinguish between the permanent cessation of NowTV on the older Netcast LG TVs, and a temporary failure of it on your modern, WebOS LG TV.

NOWTV has not been unproblematic on modern LG TVs, but the issues generally get resolved.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
I don’t need to distinguish. I spoke to Now TV and that is the info they gave me.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is precisely why i have never recommended anyone rely on there Smart TV apps they don't get updated after a while it is the way it is. Much better having a standalone device such as a Roku or Apple TV which will get updates for years to come and have much better support in terms of apps and software.

LG for example don't even update 2019 TVs to the new version of WebOS that is on 2020 models which they very easily could.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

You spoke to one support rep who was misinformed, or misunderstood what you were asking, or you misunderstood what you were told.

Can you post the transcript?

But if you haven’t had the message I show below, and/or haven’t got a Netcast LG TV, then this cessation does not apply to you, and whatever is wrong with NowTV on your webOS TV is temporary and fixable.

9DC89DDE-0C59-4A07-874D-6B0C19A7D421.png

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Ok. You’re a ######.
Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User 

@RoyB  is trying to help you. swearing at him is completely uncalled for & goes against the Community rules. Consider this your first warning, break the rules again and you'll be banned 

To clarify - it's only TV's with the Netcast OS - TVs made before 2014 that are no longer being supported. You would have seen the message if your TV was affected. 

The agent has got their wires crossed in this case. we're going to make sure they are briefed again so this is clear.

Thanks

Simon