cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

LG 42" Smart TV streaming quality issue

Since 26th December any movie on NowTv, via the LG smart TV, has been completely unwatchable. The streaming quality consistently drops to 300 and 500. On the TV the movie becomes pixelated almost immediately on starting the film. The only way to increase the steam quality is to quit NowTv, sign back in and continue watching the same movie. The streaming quality temporarily stays at about 3100 for 60 seconds and reverts back to 300-500 quality.

I have tried various troubleshooting avenues, but everything comes back to an issue with the NowTv LG app.

- simultaneously streamed the same movie, via my NowTv account, from both my PC and LG TV. The PC's streaming quality did not drop below 3100 but the TV did not go above 500.
- both PC and TV are directly wired to the router. Tried different LAN cables which made no difference
- LG app and LG firmware are up to date
- tried other streaming service, Netflix, which was fine.
- turned off TV and Router and tried again. Tried on different days too, including trying at 3am when traffic would be virtually nil in my area.
- checked Virgin Media's network status for my area and that is fine
- checked the packets and network status of the TV whilst streaming NowTv film and there appeared to be delay in NowTV packets coming through to the TV when compared to NowTV packets coming in to the PC

As you can see I've been very thorough with my tests and the only issue has come from the NowTV LG app.

I've put up with this for over a week now, but I'm not satisfied with the service being provided anymore. I pay monthly and have already lost out on over 25% of my months subscription, as the TV is the streaming device of choice.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can type or if there is an issue with the NowTV service.

Regards,
30 REPLIES 30
herojan
Expert

No this has not been resolved yet, as you can be seen from the following thread in this forum (dating back originally to November last year) there are promises that a 'resolution is coming', but don't hold your breath.

Extremely-poor-picture-quality

It confuses me as to  why now TV staff are still saying they will 'look into it' and asking for model details when in the thread above they say the picture quality issue has been passed to the technical team and a fix is being looked into (i.e. it is a known issue).

• Roku Streaming Stick+ | S/W 8.1.0 | Now TV app v3.12.132 | Wifi (DHCP)
• Internet - Plusnet Fibre @ 36M

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

As mentioned we are working with the tech teams to make sure the customer experience is a more pleasurable one. We know how important it is to watch in on the TV rather than on a smaller screen.

We want to make sure we have gone through all the trouble shooting steps before we pass on your details. Can you try rebooting your router or can you try manually setting your connection Instead of selecting the wireless network from a drop down list, connect manually by typing in your IP, subnet and Gateway numbers. If you are still having issues please let us know.

Cheers

Ranj

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am having this very same problem with my TV, over a year later. Please can you advise why this is not resolved?

Thanks
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:
I am having this very same problem with my TV, over a year later. Please can you advise why this is not resolved?

Thanks

Out of interest. What content have you been watching that looks poor?

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks

Out of interest. What content have you been watching that looks poor?

hI @Anonymous User

@SeeMoreDigital . Am I right in thinking that LG devices have the bitrate indicator which allows you to see the current bit rate of the video you're streaming? 

@Anonymous User Assuming your watching on demand if you're receiving the Max video quality.  should be getting a bitrate of 3100 (3100Kbps or 3.1Mbps).  If you press one of the arrow keys while watching you should be able to see the bit rate of the current video. The Max bitrate for the live entertainment  channels is 2500. 

If you are receiving a bitrate of 3100 you are receiving 720p quality. Of course, that's assuming your Internet connection is fast enough

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@commanda6 wrote:

@SeeMoreDigital . Am I right in thinking that LG devices have the bitrate indicator which allows you to see the current bit rate of the video you're streaming? 

Yes they do. But of-course bit-rate alone is not necessarily an indicator of visual quality. Indeed, all the bit-rate in the world is not going to make a lot of the stuff on Gold that was originally shot using std-def analogue video cameras and copied several times using analogue decks, look any better Smiley Surprised

Cheers

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

@commanda6 wrote:

Yes they do. But of-course bit-rate alone is not necessarily an indicator of visual quality. Indeed, all the bit-rate in the world is not going to make a lot of the stuff on Gold that was originally shot using std-def analogue video cameras and copied several times using analogue decks, look any better Smiley Surprised

Cheers

HI @SeeMoreDigital

I'm aware that some content will be of A lower quality because of the original source, that's why you asked the question above. Smiley Wink But it's true that the vast majority of content, If you are receiving Max bitrate, you should you will be getting good quality.

We will have to wait and see what the answer to your question above is Smiley Happy

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

commanda6 wrote: HI @SeeMoreDigital

I'm aware that some content will be of A lower quality because of the original source, that's why you asked the question above. Smiley Wink But it's true that the vast majority of content, If you are receiving Max bitrate, you should you will be getting good quality.

We will have to wait and see what the answer to your question above is Smiley Happy

Indeed you do....

But sadly many others don't understand that "bit-rate alone is not necessarily an indicator of visual quality" . Indeed it's so important that people understand this, I've said it again.... Smiley Wink

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I don't know if this will help anyone, but I also have an LG TV, the 47LB730V, which is likely similar to the 42" mentioned by the OP. 

If you are using a wireless connection for the TV, I would take a much closer look at this being the problem. If you are already wired then this could be a pointless post!

My TV was pooooooor on wireless, even streaming local media content. I have a 120Mb internet connection at home, a SuperHub 2 router and the router is around 8 foot away in a straight light from the TV. However the TV's net based and streaming capabilities were at best poor and unreliable when I was connected wirelessely. Some days it just didn't work at all.

I called LG, they blamed everything else but themselves, Virgin Media as well. I called the TV retailer I purchased from and they blamed the technology overall. However the guy at the retailers advised me to go wired as this would make a big difference. I was peeved at this advice, I bought the TV to be wireless, right? My TV is not postined well to be wired to the router, it wouldnt work, cables acorss the living room floor etc. I explained this wasn't an acceptable solution.

After some haggling and debating the retailer agreed to send me cheque to go and buy a powerline adapter, have you seen these?

I bought one and the TV's internet, streaming capabilities have improved massively, I mean, it works 100% of the time now and the TV gets around 30-40Mb of the 120Mb line coming in. The TV is plugged into the wall and the powerline adapter is right next to it with the ethernet cable running into the TV. It works and absolute dream. Plus the powerline adapters were pretty much a simple plug and play type scneario too. Very, very easy to set up. 

I bought this product http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/tp-link-av500-500-mbps-powerline-homeplug-wifi-extender-with-2-lan-ports-k...

With it being a double ethernet port I used the opportunity to hard wire my PS3 while I was at it, I then bought another extender to put upstairs and hardwire my Roku 3 as well. It has really improved everything. 

The last added bonus is the powerline adapter also pumps out some wifi as well which can improve wifi for phones etc in farther reaches of your house. 

All in all, I would highly recommend trying the powerline adapters IF you are currently wireless on your TV, I think you'll find it solves a lot of issues. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Link to powerline adapters is wrong, system wont let me edit?!

Try this http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/tp-link-av500-500-mbps-powerline-homeplug-wifi-extender-with-2-lan-ports-k...