cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

LG 42" Smart TV streaming quality issue

Since 26th December any movie on NowTv, via the LG smart TV, has been completely unwatchable. The streaming quality consistently drops to 300 and 500. On the TV the movie becomes pixelated almost immediately on starting the film. The only way to increase the steam quality is to quit NowTv, sign back in and continue watching the same movie. The streaming quality temporarily stays at about 3100 for 60 seconds and reverts back to 300-500 quality.

I have tried various troubleshooting avenues, but everything comes back to an issue with the NowTv LG app.

- simultaneously streamed the same movie, via my NowTv account, from both my PC and LG TV. The PC's streaming quality did not drop below 3100 but the TV did not go above 500.
- both PC and TV are directly wired to the router. Tried different LAN cables which made no difference
- LG app and LG firmware are up to date
- tried other streaming service, Netflix, which was fine.
- turned off TV and Router and tried again. Tried on different days too, including trying at 3am when traffic would be virtually nil in my area.
- checked Virgin Media's network status for my area and that is fine
- checked the packets and network status of the TV whilst streaming NowTv film and there appeared to be delay in NowTV packets coming through to the TV when compared to NowTV packets coming in to the PC

As you can see I've been very thorough with my tests and the only issue has come from the NowTV LG app.

I've put up with this for over a week now, but I'm not satisfied with the service being provided anymore. I pay monthly and have already lost out on over 25% of my months subscription, as the TV is the streaming device of choice.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can type or if there is an issue with the NowTV service.

Regards,
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Goonface,

Thank you for your post and really sorry to hear of your viewing issue. 

Having too many devices using the internet at the same time can affect the playout quality. Check items such as games consoles, mobile phones, tablets, PCs & Macs.

Also, please conduct a speed test at the time you experience it. This is because at peak times some ISP providers may slow down your internet connection.

Kind regards,

Aylin

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Aylin,

As aforementioned, I tried streaming at 3am, when neighbourhood internet traffic would be negligible. I still had stream quality issues.

I tried streaming in isolated, solely on the TV and combined with a PC. On both occasions the TV's streaming quality remained at no higher than 500. On the second test, that included the PC, the PC's steam quality did not drop below 3100.

I have a consistently stable 61mbps download link outside of peak hours and the lowest i have experienced is 42mbps.

I think you have not noticed that I have tried streaming Netflix, around the similar times I have had issues with NowTV.

I have answered all if your queries and statements about what could cause the streaming issues. Please provide further resolution guidance, I've now gone 10 days without a satisfactory streaming service on the LG TV.

Please note that I have enjoyed a very pleasant viewing experience up until these recent issues. I see that my issues are not isolated and many others are complaining of identical streaming quality issues with an LG TV.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Goonface,

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

As you've noticed, a few customers have been reporting the same issue, and we're constantly working to ensure we can provide the best service for our customers so this is something we are looking into.

It might be worth updating your firmware on your LG TV. You can find step by step instructions on how to do this here.

Apologies again for the inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards,

Sal

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Sal,

Again, as I previously mentioned I have checked for the latest LG firmware and I already have it installed.

Please can you advise on something else I can try that I have not already mentioned already.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi, we too are experiencing similar problems using the NowTV app yet no such problems occur when using the NowTV box. Our preference would be to use the app, having spent considerable money on a TV with this feature and have tried to follow the link mentioned in your post to update the firmware, but receive the message that the page I am looking for does not exist, could you please repost an updated link.

Many thanks
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User  Could you please come onto our Live Chat service so we can look into this further for you and raise it with our technical department? You can find our live chat on our Contact Us page. Select the relevant information from the drop-downs available to come through to us.

@Anonymous User  The link seems to be working on my end, but just in case you need it again you can find it here. Any problems just let us know.

Kind Regards,

Sal

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Having the same issues with buffering , ran a speed test 31mbs no other devices running can you please advise
Anonymous User
Not applicable
I too have been experiencing the same problems streaming on my lg42 via now tv app - I have wasted my free sports vouchers as every time I have tried to use the stream quality is so bad 300 500 if really lucky and keeps freezing/crashing
Before Christmas the stream quality was ( from memory about 1500)

Please help address this issue and refund my wasted vouchers.

Thanks

Jimmy
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Pow49,

Thanks for getting in touch with your query, sorry to hear that you're having streaming issues via your LG TV.

Can you come onto Live Chat here so that one of the team can look into this for you.

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Michael

NOW TV Team