cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Issues with chromecast

Not sure if this is a chromecast issue or a now tv app issue..

For the past two days whenever I pause a program or film I'm watching it won't let me press play again. I have to stop casting then recast and re select what I'm watching. Also if I want to watch the next episode of something I have to do the same thing or else it plays the new episode but thinks it is still on the old one.

Also when I'm not on the app but it's in the background it no longer has the Nowtv logo at the top of my screen where my battery and time etc is, it's just the chromecast sign showing its casting. Not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Thanks
44 REPLIES 44
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Sorry to hear about these issues, so far your the only person who has reported these to us.

Can you try reinstalling both your NOW TV App and also your Chromecast app's and then try again.

Also make sure that your software is fully upto date on your devices.

Cheers

Andy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

I've tried and it still isn't working properly.

Thanks
Emily
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Strange @Anonymous User

Can you goto this website for me and then click on Fix a Problem and see if any of the steps in that article help.

Thanks

Andy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is the only app I'm having this problem with, it's only started happening since the update. It's happening with my boyfriends app as well
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I can confirm that I'm seeing the exact same behaviour, probably for about a week or two now.

Specifically:

* When pausing playback on my Chromecast via Android, the video does pause correctly but it seems as though the app doesn't realise that this has been done

* As a result, instead of switching to a "play" option in the app, it continues to show a "pause" button (even though the video is already paused)

* Pressing "pause" for a second time causes the app to begin showing a spinning icon, as though it's lost its connection to NowTV or to the Chromecast; meanwhile, there's no change to the video, which remains paused

Generally the only solution I've found is to stop casting (which resets the Chromecast to the standard screen), reconnect and start playback again. (although it does thankfully remember where it left off!) 🙂

I have noticed one other quirk. If I use a second device (e.g. my other half's mobile), connected to the same NowTV account *and* connected to the same Chromecast in the NowTV app, then I'm able to pause playback with one device and then resume playback through the other, provided that I do so consistently (i.e. always pause from device 1 and always resume from device 2). I suspect this is related to the second of the bullet points above: the app can tell the Chromecast to pause / play but it doesn't update its own record of what state it's in, so if one device thinks it's paused and the other thinks it's playing then it behaves as described.... Clearly that's not a solution to the issue, but it could be an important symptom. 🙂

Also FWIW I'm using NowTV app version "5.6_arm" on Android 6.0.1 (Marshmallow) and I have a 1st generation Chromecast.

Many thanks,

Andy.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have also noticed that the problem only happens if I either lock my phone or do something else and leave NowTV in the background. If I stay on the NowTV app and leave it open, it pauses and plays like normal.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi All

So our teams have identified an issue with the Android App and the way it handles the Chromecast.

It is getting looked into by our teams and Google.

The issues only seam to happen if you pause something for more than 20 min's.

Once I hear more I will update you.

Andy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hiya Andy, this pause issue happens immediately I press pause, not after 20 mins. The screen does not show the play icon and the only option appears to be to crash out of it and restart.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello

Yes it happens to me straight away too.

Thanks