cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

ITV Hub

ITV Hub app is available using now box but not (as far as I can detemine) on 2nd TV. It's an LG smart (so say) TV with no ITV Hub app loaded or cleared for use so was relying on now tv app (supported by LG) to get to ITV hub. I can't find this or the iplayer app from the now tv GUI????

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

The nowtv boxes comes with third party additional apps such has BBC IPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4 and Demand 5 as standard which are not imbedded in the GUI of the NowTV app (they are separate).

The NowTV app that comes with the LG or Samsung smart TV's only comes with the dedicated NowTV App for watching the NowTV content. 

To prove this If you go to My Apps on the NowTV box and click on the NowTV App the GUI layout will be similar to your LG smart TV.

To get the Apps such has BBC IPlayer, ITV Hub etc on your LG smart TV you need to download them from the LG TV own Apps Store (not sure what it is called because i don't own a LG smart TV). 

Not all smart TV manufactures will provide all four of the main UK catchup apps (again i am not sure what LG offer in their App Store).

My Panasonic smart television provides all four of the catch up service apps from the Firefox Apps Store , but unfortunately there is no NowTV app Smiley Sad 

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

I assume then you're accessing ITV via the ITV Hub app? If so you might need to check your settings and ensure the postcode you used to set up the app hasn't somehow changed to a Northern Ireland one as that restricts access to ITV's main channel.

RoyB
Legend

Hi again @Anonymous User 

You mentioned stv, which makes me think you must be in Scotland.

I just signed in to the itv Hub with my England postcode, and there was itv; but when I pretended to be in Waverley Station’s car park, in Edinburgh, the app dropped it.

I don’t know if this is an error, or a deliberate change or what, but the itv app on YouView boxes has always behaved this way, due to licensing issues, they say.

But it’s easy to bypass; just lie a little about where you live and give an England postcode, and it will come back.

Even better, additionally go to the App Store on the Stick and Add the stv player App.

Give a Scotland postcode here if you like, but it was perfectly happy with my genuine England one.

Then you have the best of both worlds - a full England itv service on the itv Hub, and the regional Scotland stv variations on the stv Player when you want local news or local programming, or whatever.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thank you very very much roy... this has worked..

Very grateful for your help ..

Barbra
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5
I live in Edinburgh, however every time I sign into the ITV hub I always put in a London postcode otherwise I lose ITV and the STV player is just plain rubbish.
That being said I’m not fussed about local news etc, so sticking with a London postcode gives me “full” access to the ITV hub especially when I’m paying the £3.99 for the advert free side of things
FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008 

I had been paying for Hub+ but prefer to record instead to get everything in full HD. It's a pity they couldn't at least match the 720p output of the BBC iplayer. Other than that it's a bargain at £3.99 😀

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User that being said for several months I had ITV hub through the channels section on Amazon and that was definitely 1080p, very good picture quality.

The only annoying thing I found with it through Amazon was that it didn’t add catch up shows quickly like the stand alone app. So it’s a catch 22 great picture quality through Amazon and waiting ages for shows on catch up or watch catch up straight away with upscaled SD on the stand alone app.

Having moved into a new build last year we don’t have an aerial so we don’t have access to Freeview as my TV I could record onto a USB stick. 

Everything we watch is through apps so I could only imagine how much data is used! Haha

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008 

I too used to sub to ITV via Amazon channels but like you I was getting increasingly frustrated with the time it took to upload some programmes. As an avid fan of documentary type programmes the final straw for me came when a couple of documentary series I was interested in never had anything other than part 1 of a series uploaded. That did it for me although subsequently I no longer sub to Prime Video either.

As for the Hub+ picture quality via Amazon chaanels, well that quite simply blew the BBC iplayer out of the water.

The saving grace for me is being able to record ITV HD programmes to my Youview dvr which is unfortunate for you in not having access to terrestrial tv.

RoyB
Legend

@gavs82008 

So is it by choice you don’t have a terrestrial aerial, or some sort of restriction in place?

We put a loft aerial in our new build; we could probably have had an outside aerial, but the loft aerial was a well strong enough signal, so no need.

And despite all that NowTV can do for us, we would not be without our YouView boxes.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RoyB 

Indeed it is by choice not to have an aerial. 

As I when I had Freeview i found that I barely watched it, could probably count on 1 hand the number of times I used it.

Have gotten used to not watching Freeview. 

What i I do have is All4+, ITV hub+, iPlayer, Amazon, Netflix and of course Now TV all apps on my Samsung TV. 

Apart from a couple of programs that I’d wait to show on prime like Fear the Walking Dead and Lethal Weapon I don’t see the need to get BT TV/Sky for recording considering everything I watch is on catchup.

For the occasional football game I have BT Sport through the Samsung TV app, Now TV if needs be and also iPlayer if it’s on BBC, same could be said with the ITV hub as plus now gives you access to the live channels.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008How does the picture quality compare on All4+ from the dross they pump out on the 'normal' app.