cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gxbm33

IP address not recognised as being in the UK

I have just changed service provider to community fibre and NOW tv thinks my ip address is in the USA. 

I have used several “find my IP” links via Google to check this and they all say that my IP address is London. 

I have also tried resetting the router but this just comes back with the same IP as before. 

Is there any way to get NOW tv to change their settings or similar?

10 REPLIES 10
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Gxbm33 

Have you got another playback device to temporary test out with the NOW App to see if the error message is across multiple devices when using NOW ?

Out of curiosity do you use BBC iPlayer ?

If so have you tried it since you changed your ISP ?

Does it work or come up with a similar message ?

When you reset the new Router did you power it down for around 20 minutes ?

Should both the BBC iPlayer App and NOW App have a similar message, then contact your ISP where it could be a new batch set of IP addresses that is not on the system yet.

There is some guidance here on the BBC iPlayer website about it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/questions/playback-issues/outside-uk-message 

Gxbm33
Thank for your reply,

BBC iPlayer works fine as does Netflix and Amazon prime.

Disney+ thinks I’m viewing from outside the uk but still works.
Now TV and BT Sport app are the only things that won’t play as they say I am connecting from abroad.

I have tried connecting through the app on my phone and iPad as well as the tv and all say the same thing.

When I reset the router I only left it off for just over 5 mins as that was the time suggested in another post. I will try leaving it off for longer and see what happens.

Marge999
Advocate

@schnapps 

@Gxbm33 

I have the same problem. Nowtv thinks I am in USA after having previously worked for 12months+. Nowtv can’t offer any assistance. I am on community fibre. I have contacted them but hopefully there’s a way I can sort this sooner myself please so I can watch the F1!! 🙂

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Gxbm33 

Give it 20 to 30 minutes with the power unplugged to your Router.

The Router should then automatically generate a new IP address on it.

If after that the same message is popping up and because you mentioned it's also the BT Sports App affected, then get in touch with your ISP and explain to them there is more than one App provider that is flagging up this message you are outside the UK and ask them to issue you another IP address on the Router which has been around for a little while longer which I believe they can do remotely on your behalf.

Jac
Observer

Hi, I’ve a similar problem, I’ve a new fibre BB provider. Initially now tv could find the wifi and I could watch but now most of the time when I scan for the new wifi it only picks up my neighbours. If I do manage to see the wifi or add it as a private network it tries to get a wifi connection but then just returns an 014.30 error.

ive got a static IP address from my new ISP. I’ve rebooted and reset the router and the now tv stick so many times.

the ISP is Adamant that the now tv stick is the problem, I can connect my mobile phone hot spot and I have taken it over to a friend and connected to their BB ok.

NOW TV are adamant that the issue is with my BB and say I need a static IP which I have. Every time I contact now tv they just say I’m in the US, I’m not I’m in the uk! Help!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Jac

Is the problem that the NOW Stick can't connect to your Router at all ?

I don't use the NOW Stick, but the first thing I would be tempted to try is split the two wifi bands on your Router if it's a dual band and try going to a low wifi channel number in your Router settings.

Out of curiosity who is your ISP ?

If it's Virgin, then some people in the past had success with disable pings on the NOW Stick or using a Guest mode from the Virgin Router.

Jac
Observer

Hi thanks for the speedy reply!

yes it cannot see when I scan for networks or connect to router when I add router via the private network. It did connect in the first week that I had the new supplier but 3 weeks in and I can’t connect to my router at all.

my ISP is Vodafone.

ive tried splitting the wifi and it didn’t make any difference.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Jac 

Did you try manually changing the WiFi channels on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz to a lower channel number on your Router.

Also I am guessing a full factory reset on the NOW Stick didn't help ?

Only factory reset the NOW Stick if you have the physical NOW remote and have an active NOW subscription.

Also maybe ask over on the Vodafone Community Forum if anybody knows how to fix the NOW Stick not connecting over internet with your Vodafone Router.

Don't think I can be of much further help (sorry).

Jac
Observer

Factory reset on tv stick did diddly squat. I took the stick over to a friend to connect to their bb and it connected fine, and also did some updates.  
Asking on the Vodafone forum is a good shout. Thank you.

Thanks for your time, trying to help