cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Humax Aura 4k with Android TV - Now TV app support?

Hello NowTV,

After you recently provided support for the Sony Android TV platoform, are you able to check with your teams if you have any plans to support the Humax Aura 4K DVR with Android TV?

Thanks!

30 REPLIES 30
RoyB
Legend

Hello @Anonymous User 

You aren’t talking to NowTV here, just to its customers. Though somebody from NowTV might happen along, you can’t rely on that.

But as I understand Android TV, if an app is in the Store for one Android TV device, then it’s in the Store for every Android TV device; that’s the beauty of it.

So the Android TV NowTV app doesn’t work just on Sony TVs, but will work right now on Philips Android TVs; and on the Aura, when it arrives.

As will Netflix, the total absence of which from any Aura marketing material has led several people to erroneously conclude that the Aura won’t have it. It’s certainly strange it isn’t mentioned, so there’s something going on; but unless the Aura actively declines to download it (and why would it shoot itself in the foot like that?) it can, and will have Netflix, even if not preloaded.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply, I have seen in the past NowTV staff reply so i thought i'd try and ask anyway.

So you'd hope that was the case, but they're not available on my older Sony because of the OS version, also I have seen posts that the NowTV app is also not available via the nVidia Android TV devices despite their OS.

There are also other apps like 'YouView' which are specifically restricted to Sony TVs, so it is unfortunately not as simple as it may seem, but I appreciate your response in any case.

I have also reached out to Humax support, so if I get a reply from them, then I'll post their response here in case it helps others. 

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User , @RoyB My understanding is that the Aura has access to the Google Play Store, as well as the Google TV app store. So there is a good chance that the NowTV app will be available for download. As to wether it will work, well, that’s another matter.

Only time will tell.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Okay that’s good to know!

I’m holding out high hopes for this box, so having now tv included will only enhance the offering. 

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User @Mark_Weinreb @RoyB have a read through this thread

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Set-top-boxes-Smart-TVs/Chromecast-with-Google-TV/td-p/544166/page/2

It seems that the Android TV app is locked to Sony TV's at the moment. Someone in the thread has decoded the app which does a device check with Sky servers and if it's not a Sony TV it won't open. 

That's not to say it won't work in the future but for the time being it will only work on Sony TV's.

RoyB
Legend

@Saint1976 

That seems to fly in the face of everything that Google stand for, and I am surprised they would stand for that. What price an open platform? But if Sony chipped in for the development, I suppose they are entitled...

Sets an ugly precedent, though.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

There has been a suggestion that the 'New' BT TV Box could be a rebadged version of this device with different firmware. If so NOWTV will as a matter of course appear. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had the following response from Humax support today, looks positive!

Good Morning xxxx.

Thank you for contacting Humax, I'm happy to say that the full NowTV application is supported on our device.

Best Regards,

xxxxx
Humax Customer Support

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Did you ask how you get it in that case?