cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

How to view subtitles on AppleTV

Hi I am trying to activate subtitles on the NowTV app on my apple tv but cannot find settings or any kind of function to toggle them on/off. I have turned on subs in the apple accessibility settings but that hasn't worked.

Thanks,
Joe

4 REPLIES 4
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I don't use an Apple TV box myself, but on most devices if you press the enter or pause button when playing NOW content (Cinema / Entertainment), a pop up information banner appears on screen and there should be a bubble speech icon to click on to force subtitles (assuming the content is subtitles supported by the "S" symbol showing next to it).

See if this article helps.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/can-i-watch-with-subtitles 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi schnapps,

Thanks for your reply. I can see the S that lets me know subtitles are available which is the annoying part because I know they are there but can't access them? I'm trying to watch live TV and so the banner is just the program. If I press up/down/left/right it just cycles channels. I will try on a recorded show to see if I can get this banner to show.
Thanks,
Joe

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I believe subtitles for live NOW TV channels is only just been rolled out in the last few weeks.

On my NOW box it's been a bit hit & miss for me when i have tested live Entertainment, Cinema and Sports NOW channels on the box.

When i press the OK button on live TV the now & next channel guide banner pops up with the bubble speech icon to the far right (at the end of the next up and coming live TV show or live movie on the channel information banner).

I haven't tested in a couple of weeks because i am lucky that i don't need to fall back on subtitles.

Don't know if Apple TV is one of the devices yet that has the live channels subtitles added.

I am guessing subtitles work on the on Demand stuff using either your Entertainment or Cinema Membership with your Apple TV box.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

Yeah I still can't seem to get it to work. It looks like BBC iPlayer has a similar issue and it is reportedly today with Apple's api and how they control the apps. For now I have found a workaround which is to use youtube and it's auto-generated subtitles, which show up fine. The idea was to show a 24 hour news channel in the office so this suits us fine. Unfortunately we don't have any other bundles to test it on or I'd let you know.

Thank you for your help! Have a great day.

Joe