cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

HD Delay On Amazon Fire TV App

I have just bought an Amazon Fire TV Cube to replace a Now TV Smart Box. I have no internet connectivity issues (broadband speed close to 130 mbps with no drops).

On the old box, it was instantly HD  (either 720p or 1080p on Boost) when switching to a live channel. However, even though I am using the same ethernet cable, the Now TV app on the Amazon Fire TV Cube is taking UP TO A MINUTE to switch to HD.

It is somewhat irritating, especially after buying the Cube mostly to watch Now TV. Has anyone else had the same issues with the app? I've tried talking to Live Chat about this but I went around in circles about internet connectivity. I would like to know more as I may consider sending back my Cube if it is a known issue. Thanks to anyone that can help

6 REPLIES 6
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

For some reason certain NOW playback devices take a number of seconds to ramp up to it's full stream picture quality when watching NOW content.

For example my Amazon Fire 4K Stick takes around 25 to 30 seconds to get full HD resolution, my BT Youview box using the NOW App takes around 20 seconds, where my Roku and NOW branded devices ramps up to full resolution straight away.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the help @schnapps , at least I know it is not just me with the issue! It's definitely nearer 60 seconds on my Amazon Fire Cube. Coming from an old Now TV Smart box to a newer device, I had assumed that the app would be an improvement, rather than a downgrade. Oh well, I may get a refund on the Cube then..

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

I know this isn't what you want to hear you've just brought the fire TV cube, but Roku is actually better with respect to Now and has been for quite some time, so I'm afraid I have to concur with what @schnapps has said.

Have you tried restarting the cube (not factory reset) as I find I had to restart my 4K. Max occasionally in order for the now app to behave itself .

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I am assuming you are not using a VPN on the Fire TV Cube which might slow the ramp up time a little longer when going through the VPN servers etc.

A minute does sound excessive.

My guess it's been engineered / developed that way to buffer the signal before ramping up to full picture resolution.

Perhaps send NOW an email using the address on the screen shot below to ask them the technical reason and why the Amazon Fire TV Cube takes around 1 minute, where other NOW playback devices are around 20 to 30 seconds or don't ramp up at all like NOW branded devices and Roku.

Saying that when I watch Amazon Prime on all my devices it takes a couple of seconds to ramp up to full resolution but it only takes a couple of seconds and not a full minute if I have sufficient internet bandwidth on my playback device.

youdoodle-2020-05-11T14-12-50Z.jpg

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I don't use a VPN so that's not likely to be the issue. I will contact them on the address you provided @schnapps , many thanks. Also appreciate you replying too @commanda6 .

David

redchiz1
Champion 2

I concur about the way that NOW TV tends to take a while to kick in full resolution, it seems to have always been thus. But I have never faced longer than around 10 seconds or so on any deice.