cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Full NOW TV Service to be available on BT TV YouView box from early 2019

Just in case anyone missed the news this morning:

"BT today announced a multi-year agency deal for BT to market and sell Sky’s NOW TV service to BT TV customers. NOW TV offers Sky’s most popular content, including Sky Sports, Sky Cinema and the Sky Atlantic channel.

Sky will make the full NOW TV service available on BT TV’s set top box and BT will be able to sell subscriptions to NOW TV’s great passes directly to BT customers.

BT customers will be able to watch Sky content as part of their BT TV subscription.

At the same time, BT has agreed to wholesale its BT Sport channels to Sky, allowing Sky to sell these channels directly to Sky satellite customers. The BT Sport channels include exclusively live UEFA Champions League and Premier League football. This will mean that satellite customers will be able to buy BT Sport from Sky as well as from BT.

The agreement brings to a successful conclusion negotiations that have been on and off for a number of years.

The agreement demonstrates the importance that BT places on sport, and enables BT Sport to reach a new audience.

Currently, BT TV customers can only buy Sky Sports Main Event as a bolt-on to their TV service for £27.50 per month, and are not able to choose from the full range of Sky Sports channels. As a result of this agreement, BT TV customers will be able to take all eleven Sky Sports channels, as well as a NOW TV Entertainment pass offering great channels including Sky Living, Sky One and Sky Atlantic, which also offers box sets including Game of Thrones, Big Little Lies and Billions. BT customers will be able to buy all of this in competitively priced bundles with BT TV.

It's expected that these new services will be available to customers from early 2019."

No mention of availability of the full service for Plusnet or Retail YouView box owners, although it may filter down to Plusnet users as they are owned by BT. 

Link to story: BT and Sky agree to show their TV channels on each other’s platforms

18 REPLIES 18

Here's a link to Sky's announcement on this:

Sky and BT agree cross supply of TV channels

A snippet for Sports fans is:

"BT Sport will also be available as an app on NOW TV boxes."

But the sting in the tail:

"It is expected that these new services will be available to customers from early 2019."

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This smells like two companies getting ready so they can offer football regardless of who wins what out of the next tender process. Perhaps even, they can now offer less money for the packages as they think football will be available to their customers whoever wins out of BT or Sky.

I'm so going to laugh if someone like Amazon win some/all of the rights in the next auction... Smiley LOL

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous Userwrote:

This smells like two companies getting ready so they can offer football regardless of who wins what out of the next tender process. Perhaps even, they can now offer less money for the packages as they think football will be available to their customers whoever wins out of BT or Sky.

I'm so going to laugh if someone like Amazon win some/all of the rights in the next auction... Smiley LOL

That seems to be how it has worked out. I always felt this announcement would be the precursor to Sky/BT paying less for the PL rights.

ken242
Expert

@Anonymous User wrote:

Just in case anyone missed the news this morning:

"BT today announced a multi-year agency deal for BT to market and sell Sky’s NOW TV service to BT TV customers. NOW TV offers Sky’s most popular content, including Sky Sports, Sky Cinema and the Sky Atlantic channel.

Sky will make the full NOW TV service available on BT TV’s set top box and BT will be able to sell subscriptions to NOW TV’s great passes directly to BT customers.

BT customers will be able to watch Sky content as part of their BT TV subscription.

At the same time, BT has agreed to wholesale its BT Sport channels to Sky, allowing Sky to sell these channels directly to Sky satellite customers. The BT Sport channels include exclusively live UEFA Champions League and Premier League football. This will mean that satellite customers will be able to buy BT Sport from Sky as well as from BT.

The agreement brings to a successful conclusion negotiations that have been on and off for a number of years.

The agreement demonstrates the importance that BT places on sport, and enables BT Sport to reach a new audience.

Currently, BT TV customers can only buy Sky Sports Main Event as a bolt-on to their TV service for £27.50 per month, and are not able to choose from the full range of Sky Sports channels. As a result of this agreement, BT TV customers will be able to take all eleven Sky Sports channels, as well as a NOW TV Entertainment pass offering great channels including Sky Living, Sky One and Sky Atlantic, which also offers box sets including Game of Thrones, Big Little Lies and Billions. BT customers will be able to buy all of this in competitively priced bundles with BT TV.

It's expected that these new services will be available to customers from early 2019."

No mention of availability of the full service for Plusnet or Retail YouView box owners, although it may filter down to Plusnet users as they are owned by BT. 

Link to story: BT and Sky agree to show their TV channels on each other’s platforms

abuot time sky and bt  agreed on something hope now thay can work together more .

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The sooner this happens the better. Although I have no issue swapping boxes... One device would be better.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think this is great ! Can’t wait to be able to unplug my sons PlayStation so I can watch the entertainment package and movies through my youview box! I think my son will be pleased too. I’ve noticed this week there’s been an upgrade so that when you go onto the now tv app it looks similar to when you sign in though the PlayStation I’m presuming this is getting ready to add the entertainment and sports packages. 

This will make things loads easier 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now they need to increase the content too. Many channels are missing as opposed to the Satellite Platform. And without Champions League, Pro 14 and La Liga, it's about time they revisited the pricing structure for the Sky Sports Channels. £20 a month I would pay regularly. £33.00+ I will not!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I hope that the Frames Per Second for NowTV is increased from 25 to 50 when BT start showing Sky Sports via NowTV? Currently on NowTV sports coverage is slightly jerky and nowhere near the quality you get on Sky or BT when watching sport.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I can't log in to my now tv on you view with my bt tv