cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
apuk2004
Scholar 2

Firestick 4K & NOW TV 5.1

Hi All,

Just installed NOW TV on my Firestick 4K and noticed a couple of issues.

Firstly when it's registered it comes up as Android TV in my devices list although this is a very minor issue.

Also the Search & Options is a red button (which the Firesticks don't have) but I read that a long press of the Firestick Remote's select button is a workaround for this.

However the big problem for me is that although I have selected to use Surround Sound (under My Account / Now TV Boost)  I've noticed that when trying to play some TV shows (for instance) Jack & The Beanstalk, Roald And Beatrix and Raised by Wolves they all play in Stereo 2.0.

I've also tryed Game of Thrones which seems to play OK in 5.1 and most movies I've tested also play in 5.1 so it's just certain shows.

I was able to get the shows to output 5.1 by switching the Boost option back to Stereo then back to Surround but this isn't ideal to be doing it every time a show decides to default back to Stereo.

My setup is a Firestick 4K plugged into the TV HDMI port and then a HDMI cable  to a 5.1 Receiver (ARC).

17 REPLIES 17
apuk2004
Scholar 2

To be honest some of the content is pants. I was watching Raised by Wolves and there's a banner every 10 mins where the adverts would have been!

I bet you don't get that on the Prime or HBO version. It's like something I recorded myself.

I'll be honest once my BT contract is up I doubt I'll bother with this again. Far too many issues like limited to 6 devices, average picture quality & 5.1 issues.

It's not a terrible service but it doesn't feel premium and I'm paying more than I would for Netflix!!

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@apuk2004 

To get this perfectly straight none of the HBO content is free as part of your Prime membership.

If you wanted to watch HBO content on Amazon video, you’d have to pay for the episode/season. Much like you can on Sky Store.

Also in terms of the “banner” where there would be adverts, it’s better than catch up on Sky because they genuinely get adverts! 

That being said, I’m almost at a point of giving up on Sky because of their pathetic handling of any show that isn’t on Sky Atlantic!

They are owned by Comcast and by such Comcast owns NBC, so how about giving same day airing of all NBC shows instead?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008 

At least they are finally starting to fill out Dreamworks Movies now I saw that all of Shrek is finally on the platform now. Still a lot of other holes though. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Exactly, the transition for Sky is underway. Have to admit I was close to cancelling both entertainment and movie passes at the end of the year. 

With some content being retained by Disney+ like 9-1-1, Greys Anatomy, the less for Sky to get is better for them in the long run. They need to keep their focus on Comcast content only. 

We can only hope and prey that NBC (Comcast) shows like Blacklist and Chicago Fire/PD/Med will be available on demand the day after airing in the US. Personally I couldn’t care less about watching it “live”.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008 

it is good to see the transition happening making more of there own Shows is also very good and keeping the HBO deal was very very important for the future of Sky. 

Must admit I am considering cancelling my movies pass after the end of the month. I’m not considering cancelling Entertainment pass there’s a lot of boxsets I’m still working my way through. Debating cancelling my Sports Pass as there isn’t much on at moment and will watch NFL on Gamepass now regular season is over. 

Disney+ Star is a big deal for the U.K. I totally agree hoping Castle is on there own as never watched though I am curious why X-Men Apocalyse isn’t on Disney + as it’s only one but first class but it’s not been on any streaming platform all year. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

As much as I enjoy the HBO content on Sky, I really wished that HBO didn’t do a deal so HBO Max could launch in the UK. What you’ll be aware of is that all HBO shows on Sky come and go, whereas if we had HBO Max it would be there permanently. 

A few days ago I cancelled my sports pass despite having a £25 offer for 6 months, that being said I share with my family and my dad says he barely watches the sports. Have to say that I am a bit annoyed with Sky not having exclusive rights to NBC shows, as we were watching Chicago PD, then boom it vanishes.

Definitely got a feeling that Disney+ Star will give us a few surprises. Also looking to seeing if Harrow will be available and I’d love to see Prodigal Son become available, but that’s not officially Disney as its Fox. You never know in some regions it might be on Disney+.

apuk2004
Scholar 2

Well this thread is starting to go off topic and besides i now realise the 5.1 surround issue is not exclusive to Firestick, same thing happens on PlayStation 5 and Youview 4K boxes so as mentioned probably a BOOST issue or NOW TV app issue across the devices.

If anyone else has 5.1 try this..

Set Surround in NOW TV / My account..

Play Joker or Game Of Thrones. You get 5.1 everytime. Now try a different TV show that advertises 5.1 (such as Raised By Wolves, Jack and The Beanstalk or Roald and Beatrix) do you get Dolby 2.0? I do altho if I exit the app and reload it sometimes fixes it.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@apuk2004 

I tried it three time and one time i got 5.1 bit odd it's defo a backend issue which i hope gets resolved this year.