cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
apuk2004
Scholar 2

Firestick 4K & NOW TV 5.1

Hi All,

Just installed NOW TV on my Firestick 4K and noticed a couple of issues.

Firstly when it's registered it comes up as Android TV in my devices list although this is a very minor issue.

Also the Search & Options is a red button (which the Firesticks don't have) but I read that a long press of the Firestick Remote's select button is a workaround for this.

However the big problem for me is that although I have selected to use Surround Sound (under My Account / Now TV Boost)  I've noticed that when trying to play some TV shows (for instance) Jack & The Beanstalk, Roald And Beatrix and Raised by Wolves they all play in Stereo 2.0.

I've also tryed Game of Thrones which seems to play OK in 5.1 and most movies I've tested also play in 5.1 so it's just certain shows.

I was able to get the shows to output 5.1 by switching the Boost option back to Stereo then back to Surround but this isn't ideal to be doing it every time a show decides to default back to Stereo.

My setup is a Firestick 4K plugged into the TV HDMI port and then a HDMI cable  to a 5.1 Receiver (ARC).

17 REPLIES 17
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@apuk2004 

Being this a customer forum your very well worded and put together post will go unnoticed by Now TV staff. 

Can I suggest you put that in an email to the address in the picture below.

B7415AA7-F49E-45A4-8CC7-D79004D2ACF6.jpeg

Hopefully they will be able to provide some form of confirmation to some of the “issues” you’ve noticed.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
apuk2004
Scholar 2

Thanks, I've emailed CS I just wondered if anyone else gets the surround sound issue.

nst
Elite

@apuk2004 

A quick check.. this has been addressed in another thread and no need for a new one.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Set-top-boxes-Smart-TVs/Samsung-TV-App-and-Now-TV-Boost-Issue/td-p/55...

apuk2004
Scholar 2

Not really mate. He's got issues with a Samsung TV and I'm talking about the new NOW TV app on firesticks. Ok it's a 5.1 issue but talking about different devices and apps.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@apuk2004 

I think he is trying to say it's a NowTV Boost issue on the backend and not the apps fault.

apuk2004
Scholar 2

Ah ok, well yes, I'm just playing again and found that my Youview Box exhibits exactly  the same issues as the Firestick 4K &  PlayStation 5.

If I start the movie  "Joker" my amp shows Dolby Digital 5.1 but if I play a TV show like "Raised By Wolves" it now shows Dolby Digital 2.0 and I'm missing sound in the back speakers (even though the show says 5.1 and can be forced to 5.1 by tinkering with the BOOST settings or restarting the app).

So is this an issue that's being worked on by the NOW TV server wizards?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@apuk2004 

We believe so yes xx

apuk2004
Scholar 2

Awesome. Hopefully a quick fix 

PS thanks for the kisses 😂👍🏻

nst
Elite

@apuk2004 

Glad you realised what I was saying and what I already answered did indeed pertain to your situation. regardless of your slightly passively aggressive use of the word 'mate'  🙂 

NowTV shouldn't get away with this - they should provide what we pay for and what they say they provide. 

Paying for Boost is one thing... finding a device that correctly supports it is another... but when you do, and then you find content labelled as HD and 5.1 I think its nothing short of outrageous to not provide a 5.1 soundtrack... and they do... and they get away with it