cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Fire TV app not working

Was watching now TV on Amazon Firestick, all of a sudden it took me to update the App from the FireTV app store. I clicked "Update" this then started the update, when the update had finished it took me back to the App store to "Update" again. I tried repeatedly to no avail.

I then uninstalled the app, thinking it maybe a problem with the configuration of the app.

I cleared the cache, and all app data then uninstalled the app completely from my device.

I then went to the store and clicked "Install" this then puts me in a loop of "downloading" then says "Installing" then takes me back to the store page to "Install" the app again. I checked the app list, no Now TV app installed.

Ok, so it could be a problem with the fire stick, I have nothing on the stick, so reformatted it back to factory settings. Went back to the store and clicked "Install" again and it takes me back in a loop.

Not only has Now TV, restricted their app on older fire sticks, I have Nvidia Sheild's on the majority of TVs around my house, Now TV don't make an Android TV app, the only app I can use it on is this Firestick and now with the latest update it isn't working anymore.

I have cancelled my membership, not paying for something I can't access anymore.

Has the latest update added features that don't work with certain Firesticks?, like they did with the older models. As it will not install on a factory firestick anymore.

14 REPLIES 14
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I had something similar a few weeks back.

I eventually got it working and can't remember if i just unplugged the power to my Fire Stick, checked for an OS software update on the Fire Stick or had to factory reset the Stick.

Since then the NOW App on the Fire Stick has been running fine.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've restored the device to factory settings and also removed the power supply. Nothing has fixed it. My Firestick isn't the latest model, have they added features that don't work on devices that are not the latest model?

It's clearly failing on the install process, but can't be bothered to install ADB debugging tools to try and work out what the problem is, it's clearly a problem with the latest update.

All other apps, Netflix, Amazon Prime installed from FireTv App store no problem.

So clearly a problem with the latest update of Now TV on my model.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Don't know, i am using a Amazon 4K Fire Stick.

Haven't seen hardly any reports in the last few weeks either on the Community Forum or NOW Twitter with problems relating to the Amazon Fire Stick (Newer or Older Models from gen 2 onwards) where i am guessing the AFTV  is one of the most common platform with regards to the NOW App.

Out of curiosity what model Amazon Fire Stick are you using ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah mine is a Gen2 Firestick, but they have blocked the app so it can't be installed on a Gen1 firestick anymore.

Is this just a lack of testing the new update on older Gen2 models by the developers, or are they phasing out Gen2 Firesticks like they did with the Gen1?

If they have phased out Gen2 and Because I have Nvidia Sheild's and they don't develop an Android TV app, I will have been phased out of their service.

Never known a service provider that limits where you can access their service to very specific devices and OSes.

I think I'll just stick to Netflix and Prime for now.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The Gen 1 was never supported by NOW (i have a Gen 1 Fire Stick gathering dust in a cupboard).

The Gen 2 is still an officially NOW supported device (see link page below) and i haven't heard it's being dropped by NOW in the near future.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now 

I am guessing you are not using a VPN on your Fire Stick or your Router is set outside either the UK or ROI depending on which region you are based.

Unfortunately i haven't got a Gen 2 to test out with the NOW App (perhaps other forum members can check who have a Gen 2).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The old NOW app used to work on Gen 1 when NOW TV had yellow background and pink writing. I used it before on my old device many moons ago.

Just checked updates, done another factory reset, removed power and left off for 10 mins and replugged in. Still the same problem.

Just Reinstalled other apps from the App store no problem, every other app is installing correctly. Just NOW TV app not working.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just signed up to NowTV sports membership for the F1 season and have exactly the same problem on a Firestick HD (2021 version).

Has there been any success on a workaround?

All other apps on firestick work fine and NowTV works on a Samsung TV perfectly.

Defo stuck on the update loop with no way through. Very frustrating!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I couldn't get it working, since NOW TV only works on my firestick and they don't make an Android TV app. (I have NVIDIA Sheilds in each room) I was literally locked out from using their service, so I just cancelled my membership. I'm going to wait until I get a new TV that has NOW TV built in before I might restart my membership, but the lack of support worries me.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Many Sony Bravia TVs including mines run on Android 9 software. Where I have the NOW as a native app available. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help