cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Fire TV Stick 4K app possible bug. Streaming Quality drops from 7831 to 128 when channel changed.

Possible bug: Streaming quality drops from 7831 to 128 after changing channel.

Installed OK on my Fire TV Stick 4K(FTVS4K) but I think there is a bug. Perhaps others could check. I have Sky Sports with TV Boost for 1080 HD.

I tune to Sky Sports F1 and Streaming quality is correct at 7831 (ie 1080HD) and it stays there fine BUT if I change channel it drops to 128 and does NOT get back to 7831. If I go back to the F1 channel it is stuck on 128. There is no way to get any channel again at 7831 except by restarting the FSTV4K and then going back into the NowTV app. To do that you can press the OK central and the Play buttons at the same time for 5 or so seconds.

My broadband is good. A test on Fast.com in the Puffin browser in the FTVS4K gives 44Mbps down and 5Mbps up and I stream 4K Movies with Amazon Prime no problem.

NowTV help chat guy said my broadband is slow and sent me a copy and paste to support it. It was just reporting what I was seeing on screen. It wasn't the cause of it. If I don't change channel it is fine at 7831.

The NowTV app on my Samsung TV is fine. I can change channels and keep getting 7831.

Any suggestions? PS. to see Streaming Quality at top RHS of screen just press the central OK button.

Perhaps the NowTV app on the FTVS4K has a bug?

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just to be clear this is not just a numbers thing. The picture quality noticeably drops. I understand the "128" means 720HD not the "7831" 1080HD I should be getting.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just checked on my firetv 4k stick I just get 128 on ever sport channel I also have the boost pass. At no time did I see 7831. Don’t know if it’s worth contacting this. Nowtv just don’t seem to care. And I know my connection is ok despite it being wireless. 

Mikeaj96
Scholar

This does seem to be a bug with the app, as the Stream Quality number rarely ever appears to be the correct value.

A lot of the time 128 is stated, but this is just referring to Audio Bitrate not Video, but the Video Bitrate itself is usually 1080, which is shown when the Developer Options Diagnostic window is open, along with the above Audio Bitrate value (128).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Techuser_73 and Mikeaj96. Mikeaj96 will look at your suggestion. Problem is that the picture quality IS different. See Techuser_73 reply.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Mikeaj96, how do you open Developer Options Diagnostic window while watching a channel in NowTV? Thanks.