cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Extremely poor picture quality

I have no idea why but the quality of Now Tv on my LG television is absolutely awful, its a 50Inch Plasma and its like certain shows arent even worth watching because of the picture quality. Its not a problem with my internet as I can stream 3D and 4K content. Is there a solution to this? I mean I know the Max setting is 720p but it looks blurry even on my 21" pc screen. Is this the norm? Thank you.
109 REPLIES 109
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User 

Thanks for your post.  At those sort of bitrates I'm not surprised Captain America looked like watching an old 70s video.  As you're no doubt aware, NOW TV uses adaptive bitrates so it reduces the quality of the picture according to bitrate to prevent buffering and basically gives you the best picture quality it can.

This would therefore suggest a problem with the router (though you've rebooted it so that could rule that out), the connection between the TV & the router - is it wired or wi-fi (wired is definitely the preferred option), the app, or the TV firmware.  I'm sure there are other factors!

If you've not already done the following I would suggest: 

• doing a hard reset on your router, rather than just a reboot.
  • check the connection between the TV & router - if it's wi fi has anything in the room been moved or electrical items bought?
  • check the firmware/software on your lg is up to date
  • reinstall the app/ensure it's up to date

Anything I might have missed is covered in this post from @Anonymous User 

Hope this helps.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi pethead65,

Many thanks for your thorough and informative reply. 

Mine is a wireless connection and I would have suspected family over with their tablets and phones etc except that the drop in quality started before they arrived. It carried on for about another day but without doing anything I was able to watch Ride Along in decent quality and without breaks (Pity the film was not that good!)

I will double check my speed if it happens again but all other devices worked fine with a good wireless signal.

Many thanks again and I will keep your recommendation for steps to take for future reference.

Happy New Year,

miketee

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

You're welcome. 

herojan
Expert

I read this thread with interest. I've just brought a 42UB820V and have the same kind of issue, but nowhere near as bad as the others.

I've been watching season 5 of Bones (I dont think this is a Bones issue), and 2 or 3 times per episode the streaming rate will drop from 3100 to 300 for a minute or two and then recover. This problem occurs when I use a wired or wireless connection, and it does not happen when I use my NowTv box to view the episode.I have a 14MB internet connection.

Surely this rules out my network or internet connection from the equation?

I watched HD content from the BBC iplayer and a HD movie from Blinkbox on the TV with no issues.

• Roku Streaming Stick+ | S/W 8.1.0 | Now TV app v3.12.132 | Wifi (DHCP)
• Internet - Plusnet Fibre @ 36M

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ahh that basically explains the poor quality.. so the playoff finals I watched last week were all in Standard Definition. I wish I had known this beforehand. I have anew LG 55" Oled and 76mb bradband speed hardwired into the TV directly.

Seems like I will go to the pub to watch important Sky matches from now on. I guess you live and learn.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sony Bravia TV 60Mbps tested, wired network. Terrible picture quality for Game of a Thrones. Bah!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

trying out a 3 month entertainment pass but not happy with the picture quality, the image looks like it has a blur filter applied so it used less bandwidth to stream. Netflix and Amazon picture quality is way better. Come on Sky sort it out. Nowtv on my 65" isnt an enjoyable watch at all.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

trying out a 3 month entertainment pass but not happy with the picture quality, the image looks like it has a blur filter applied so it used less bandwidth to stream. Netflix and Amazon picture quality is way better. Come on Sky sort it out. Nowtv on my 65" isnt an enjoyable watch at all.

Really... Out of interest what channels and more importantly 'programmes' are you watching?

That being said, unless Netflix and Amazon offer the exact same content as NOW TV, it's not possible to compare the image quality of each service!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

i was watching Family guy on fox last night, pq was dire compared to apple tv

Anonymous User
Not applicable

sky1 pq is leaps ahead of Fox