cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Error 24 during Chromecasting

Hi, 

I am trying to Chromecast downloaded GoT episodes, but it doesn't work, I am getting an Error 24.

Does anyone know how to resolve this? 

These are the episodes from season 7, these are not available for streaming but I have downloaded them and can watch on my phone.

I was also able to Chromecast other episodes from season 8 which I haven't downloaded.

Thank you! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend
  • Hi @Anonymous User

I’m summoning reinforcements - in this post:-

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Mobile/Watching-downloads-when-show-is-no-longer-available/m-p/499384/highlight/true#M3243

Community Administrator @Jason-C informs us that downloads expire when online expires, correcting me when I though they didn’t. Which even led, indirectly, to me being busted back a grade Smiley Sad

But from what you are saying, perhaps I was right? Anyway, hopefully I have alerted him to look at this thread.

And perhaps he will know what error 24 means, as I have never tried to cast a download.

Maybe you can’t cast downloads, period; I can’t find anything about casting downloads in the Help, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this wasn’t possible.

Or maybe this is tied up with Seasons 1-7 having expired; what happens if you download a Season 8 episode and try to cast that?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Downloaded episodes expire at the same time as the ability to stream them on NowTV expires.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Roy, I can still play downloaded episodes from the device, even though
they are not available for streaming.

It's the Chromecast which doesn't work for these.

I am attaching a screenshot
RoyB
Legend
  • Hi @Anonymous User

I’m summoning reinforcements - in this post:-

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Mobile/Watching-downloads-when-show-is-no-longer-available/m-p/499384/highlight/true#M3243

Community Administrator @Jason-C informs us that downloads expire when online expires, correcting me when I though they didn’t. Which even led, indirectly, to me being busted back a grade Smiley Sad

But from what you are saying, perhaps I was right? Anyway, hopefully I have alerted him to look at this thread.

And perhaps he will know what error 24 means, as I have never tried to cast a download.

Maybe you can’t cast downloads, period; I can’t find anything about casting downloads in the Help, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this wasn’t possible.

Or maybe this is tied up with Seasons 1-7 having expired; what happens if you download a Season 8 episode and try to cast that?

Jason-C
Community Administrator

Hi @RoyB @Anonymous User 

Thanks for getting in touch. Unfortunately, I likely can't help with this one.

There is no expectation that a show will cast successfully when it is no longer available on the service, even if you'd downloaded it. Therefore, there's no support we could offer in this scenario, other than general troubleshooting.

If you're still able to play S1-7 of GoT after downloading them, I'd say this is actually the bug... We had double-checked it here just in case, and they expired on the 31st as expected.

Thanks,

Jason

RoyB
Legend

@Jason-C @Anonymous User 

I’m confused Smiley Sad

Here are some assertions:-

You are supposed to be able to cast a download of a nonexpired episode;

You are not supposed to be able to even watch a download of an episode that has now expired;

But you can, because there is a bug that allows this when it shouldn’t be possible;

However, if you try to cast such an episode, there is a mechanism that prevents this.

Are all these assertions true? And if not, which are true?

As to whether GOT seasons 1-7 have now expired, this isn’t something that you should need to double-check; just look at where the Community has exploded in rage and frustration recently Smiley Tongue

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Roy, all of the above assertions you have listed are correct. It does
seem to be a bug that expired episodes are still available in Downloads.