cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Double sound tv program and nowtv

I have recently discovered that my Samsung TV is a smart tv and I have downloaded the nowtv app , logged in to my account and the started to watch a program.

There is still the sound from the actual TV program as well as the sound from the NowTV program. How do I eliminate or mute the tv program sound, or separate them, as one is sounding over the other.

My tv goes through a Pioneer amplifier, as does other media equipment.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

Hi again @Anonymous User 

That’s good news you have CEC and ARC set to On.

However, re Optical, we can see that the sub wire is on the left of your picture, under the blue HDMI cable.

On the right of your picture, though, there is unquestionably a cable in the port shown as

DIGITAL IN

OPTICAL

1 (TV)

ASSIGNABLE 

in the diagram of the back of your amp on page 19 of your manual.

Your amp is a tricky beast, and I know that things on it are endlessly reassignable, or renameable, but I am hoping you haven’t done much, or any, of this.

Your TV input function, though, it also says on page 19, is assigned to Optical, and refers us to page 59 to change this.

I would be inclined to pull out the cable that is in the Optical port, the more so that we do not know where it goes; even if it goes to the TV, and if you switched to TV, would give the TV sound, using it would not mute the TV speakers, and the slightest timing difference would produce a strange hollow sound.

So let’s go to page 59....

where there is a note suggesting that if you have ARC ON, you can’t make the Optical assignment.

Which is absolutely as I would expect, but it doesn’t tell you what you can do.

With things as they are, with the Optical cable pulled out, I would expect that choosing the TV (not TV INPUT) button on the remote, or choosing TV on the amp itself, would now give you the sound from the TV, and hence the sound from NowTV when you choose that app on the TV, through the amp, via ARC. Without further configuration.

But if not, you will need to do the configuration as per page 59, for the TV input, and hope you are offered HDMI OUT 1 MAIN as an option.

If none of this works, I am all out of ideas, and I would suggest that you contact Pioneer support by email or by phone, and ask them how you get this working.

But whatever the outcome, we have come a long way, and I think we can all agree that NowTV is exonerated from any blame here 🙂

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Looking at that photo you posted of the back of your Pioneer AVR the subwoofer out cable looks like the cable on the LHS of the photo directly below the blue HDMI out cable.

There seems to be an optical input cable shown on the RHS of your photo connected to "Digital In" TV which i am assuming is an optical cable feed from either your TV or from one of your playback devices (i would temporarily remove it where this optical cable shouldn't be needed if all your devices are connected via HDMI and you are using the ARC feature).

RoyB
Legend

Hi again @Anonymous User 

That’s good news you have CEC and ARC set to On.

However, re Optical, we can see that the sub wire is on the left of your picture, under the blue HDMI cable.

On the right of your picture, though, there is unquestionably a cable in the port shown as

DIGITAL IN

OPTICAL

1 (TV)

ASSIGNABLE 

in the diagram of the back of your amp on page 19 of your manual.

Your amp is a tricky beast, and I know that things on it are endlessly reassignable, or renameable, but I am hoping you haven’t done much, or any, of this.

Your TV input function, though, it also says on page 19, is assigned to Optical, and refers us to page 59 to change this.

I would be inclined to pull out the cable that is in the Optical port, the more so that we do not know where it goes; even if it goes to the TV, and if you switched to TV, would give the TV sound, using it would not mute the TV speakers, and the slightest timing difference would produce a strange hollow sound.

So let’s go to page 59....

where there is a note suggesting that if you have ARC ON, you can’t make the Optical assignment.

Which is absolutely as I would expect, but it doesn’t tell you what you can do.

With things as they are, with the Optical cable pulled out, I would expect that choosing the TV (not TV INPUT) button on the remote, or choosing TV on the amp itself, would now give you the sound from the TV, and hence the sound from NowTV when you choose that app on the TV, through the amp, via ARC. Without further configuration.

But if not, you will need to do the configuration as per page 59, for the TV input, and hope you are offered HDMI OUT 1 MAIN as an option.

If none of this works, I am all out of ideas, and I would suggest that you contact Pioneer support by email or by phone, and ask them how you get this working.

But whatever the outcome, we have come a long way, and I think we can all agree that NowTV is exonerated from any blame here 🙂

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi@RoyB

Ok, my apologies, yes the optical cable on the righ goes to a Yamaha CD player, but have unplugged it for now.

I'm not sure what you mean here:
choosing the TV (not TV INPUT) button on the remote or choosing TV on the amp itself.
If you mean choosing TV on the amp by rotating the knob, then that just gives sound out from the tv speakers, no other sound.
Or is it , just watching sat tv through the amp and then choose the NOwTV app to watch something, where nothing has changed, still both sound from TV program and NowTV

Looking at page 59 input function and possible settings, TV input is set as AUDIO IN ARC on the amp, and HDMI input is not selectable and nothing assigned.

Now I guess we have come to end of the road, and NowTV is not at fault.

I thank you for your patience and help, and now think either to just keep the Now TV box, or contact pioneer to see what they can offer.

RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

OK, the Optical cable won’t matter then.

Yes, choosing TV on the amp by rotating the knob, or by pressing the TV button on the remote.

The separate TV INPUT button on the remote is something else, which we don’t need to get involved with right now.

What you say the TV input is set to, a la page 59, sounds exactly right.

Though we need to get the terminology clear about what your TV is. You are clearly used to watching Freesat on the SAT input, and you are calling this your TV. But the amp thinks of this just as SAT; and TV is the thing with the screen on it.

And though I think you have never watched this receiving a TV programme over the aerial you have plugged into it, while listening to the sound from it over your amp, what we are trying to do is have you watch a programme from the NowTV app on this TV set, while listening to the sound from the NowTV programme over the amp.

We’re close - very close - because now all you have to do is set the amp to TV, and this will stop the dual sound, and let you watch and listen to the NowTV app uninterrupted, though the sound will just come from the TV speakers, and not the amp.

And this has indeed exhausted my knowledge of the amp, but it does seem we have this right at last.

But I find that after all I have one shot left in my locker, to get the sound to come from the amp, although it may be a long shot.

And the good news is it doesn’t involve any wires, or pulling the AV cabinet out again 🙂

On the Samsung TV itself, via its remote control, go MENU/System/Anynet+ (CEC).

Although On is the default, I suspect this may have been set to Off at some point in the past, for some no doubt very good reason that should no longer apply.

If so, set it to On. Then power cycle the amp.

This is really the only and last thing I can think of that might be preventing the NowTV sound coming out from the amp and not the TV speakers, when the amp is set to TV.

And I tested this myself earlier on one of my Samsung TVs, and it does have exactly this effect, and you do need to power cycle the amp to get the amp to look again and take notice when you change the setting on the TV.

But if this setting is already On, I’m stumped.

Crossed fingers....

RoyB
Legend

Hi again @Anonymous User 

As @schnapps says, there is an optical cable visible in your photo, but you said above it didn’t go into the TV. So where does it go? But best just pull it out for the moment, eliminate it from our enquiries, as the police say 🙂

Then you say you choose Sat to watch TV. But that seems odd; wouldn’t it just mean that the amp plays the signal from the Sat device? And then this would be the source of the TV programme side of the ‘double sound’.

So pull the cable for this off as well, and see if the TV programme sound stops. 

Somehow though, although we are now wired for ARC, it isn’t happening; maybe page 82 in your manual has a clue, as you do need to have HDMI Control On and ARC On in the settings, and these are Off by default.

Switch the amp right off, at the mains, and also the TV at the mains, and then power them up again, so we can be sure that all HDMI handshaking has taken place.

Then work through page 82 of your manual for the Pioneer; I hope you have it handy, but if not, it is here:-

https://intl.pioneer-audiovisual.com/manuals/docs/ARB7592B.pdf

and the relevant page is here:-

1083BE05-AD27-43D6-B2E6-920C119FB60C.png

But you will need to go through the inputs you can choose on the amp - hopefully ‘TV’ - and with luck, you will at last(?) get the TV sound coming through the amp, and not anything else, so you can choose from the broadcast TV programmes on the TV, or the NowTV app on the TV.