cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Double sound tv program and nowtv

I have recently discovered that my Samsung TV is a smart tv and I have downloaded the nowtv app , logged in to my account and the started to watch a program.

There is still the sound from the actual TV program as well as the sound from the NowTV program. How do I eliminate or mute the tv program sound, or separate them, as one is sounding over the other.

My tv goes through a Pioneer amplifier, as does other media equipment.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

Hi again @Anonymous User 

That’s good news you have CEC and ARC set to On.

However, re Optical, we can see that the sub wire is on the left of your picture, under the blue HDMI cable.

On the right of your picture, though, there is unquestionably a cable in the port shown as

DIGITAL IN

OPTICAL

1 (TV)

ASSIGNABLE 

in the diagram of the back of your amp on page 19 of your manual.

Your amp is a tricky beast, and I know that things on it are endlessly reassignable, or renameable, but I am hoping you haven’t done much, or any, of this.

Your TV input function, though, it also says on page 19, is assigned to Optical, and refers us to page 59 to change this.

I would be inclined to pull out the cable that is in the Optical port, the more so that we do not know where it goes; even if it goes to the TV, and if you switched to TV, would give the TV sound, using it would not mute the TV speakers, and the slightest timing difference would produce a strange hollow sound.

So let’s go to page 59....

where there is a note suggesting that if you have ARC ON, you can’t make the Optical assignment.

Which is absolutely as I would expect, but it doesn’t tell you what you can do.

With things as they are, with the Optical cable pulled out, I would expect that choosing the TV (not TV INPUT) button on the remote, or choosing TV on the amp itself, would now give you the sound from the TV, and hence the sound from NowTV when you choose that app on the TV, through the amp, via ARC. Without further configuration.

But if not, you will need to do the configuration as per page 59, for the TV input, and hope you are offered HDMI OUT 1 MAIN as an option.

If none of this works, I am all out of ideas, and I would suggest that you contact Pioneer support by email or by phone, and ask them how you get this working.

But whatever the outcome, we have come a long way, and I think we can all agree that NowTV is exonerated from any blame here 🙂

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hi Av

Just got a silly question, have you tried to play your Now TV app through your TV speakers only?

The reason I ask is because the Now TV app is very restrictive on the number devices it can work with and, although I'm not an app user myself, a good number of users have complained about it's limitations.

In the meantime, check to see if your TV is one the Now TV's supported smart TVs.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/get-now-tv-on-my-device

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply , and yes my tv is supported by NOW tv. No I haven't tried the now tv app through the tv speakers only, but I do have a NOW tv box which is connected to my amplifier and works as it should.

Actually, it isn't just the Now tv app that the double sound is on, it's also on other apps as well as I have just found out.

I may be a problem with the tv itself, which I'll look into later

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

There’s no question something is wrong there, but the question is what?

Firstly, as a test, switch the amp off. It’s a complication we don’t need, to begin with. But don’t disconnect any cables.

Then use the NowTV app on the Samsung TV. You should hear only the NowTV programme, through the TV’s speakers.

If you hear the TV programme sound as well, then the TV is faulty, and you should take that up with whoever sold it to you.

But if all is OK this way, now switch the amp on again. If you now get double sound, pause the NowTV programme, and you should hear only the TV programme sound.

Then find out where it is coming from - it shouldn’t be the speakers on the TV, but will probably be the speakers on the amp. Then disconnect the cables from the TV to the amp, until the sound stops, in the sequence HDMI first, optical second, SCART third, phono/RCA fourth, anything else fifth.

Then post again with your results, and with the model number of the TV and of the Pioneer AV amp, and tell us what cables connect them and what types they are, and via what ports on each device.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had an engineer round on Friday, it should have been Thursday, and all he said was to turn off the amplifier. Yes the nowTV app plays ok with sound through the TV speakers, notv e3xactly what I want, but it'll have to do for now.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

No it shouldn’t have to ‘do for now’, that is patently absurd, and the engineer did not do his job anything like properly.

You are entitled to have the TV play the NowTV Sound, and only the NowTV Sound, through your amplifier and the speakers (presumably) attached to it whenever you want.

Taking my detailed diagnostic post above, the engineer did my recommended step 1 - turn the amp off for the moment - and found that you then got just the NowTV Sound. 

And then stopped, and went no further. Perhaps he was sent by the TV supplier, decided that given the above there was nothing wrong with it, and thought his job was therefore done.

But even from the point of the TV supplier, this was bad, very bad. After all, this TV is still sending its programme sound to your amp, when it has no business doing this while you are watching NowTV on it.

Which your previous TV didn’t do, AIUI.

So don’t take no for an answer, work through my diagnostic posting above, post the results and the requested connection information I asked for, and let’s see if we amateurs can fix your issue properly, sight unseen, when a professional standing in front of the kit could only come up with a half-assed ‘fix’ that doesn’t even deserve the name workaround.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Turned on TV and Amp- Double sound

Switched off Amp- Sound from NowTV only

Switch Amp back on- Double sound again

Paused NowTV- Sound from TV program

Disconnect HDMI cable- No sound from TV now

No other cables connected from TV to Amp

Hope that is what you are asking.

RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

Yes, that’s good information.

Is the HDMI cable connected to the HDMI port marked ARC on the TV?

If not, connect the TV end to that port, and see if this fixes things.

But if it is already on the sole ARC HDMI port, then on the face of it, you have a wildly faulty TV.

Since the TV has no business outputting the tuner programme signal anywhere while you are watching NowTV - that last time I saw this sort of behaviour was years ago on Sony TVs with two SCARTs, where one would always output whatever you were watching, and the other would output whatever was on the TV - but it was confusing, possibly silly, even back then, and it shouldn’t be happening today.

What should happen is that the HDMI with ARC Out should detect that it is being listened to by the amp, mute the TV speakers, and put whatever audio was coming from the TV over the ARC link to the amplifier.

No way it should be sending the TV programme signal, unless your TV has some really bizarre extra ARC output that behaves like those old, old, Sony SCART outputs.

Which I don’t think it has. But if you can give me the precise model number of the TV, and of the Pioneer amp, I can look up the manuals for these, and tell you for certain.

After which, armed with a response from on here if the TV is not behaving as it should, you can push the TV supplier for a resolution.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The model number for the Samsung tv is UE48JU6400, and looking at the online specs, it has

4 x HDMI 2.0 (ARC; CEC; MHL)

So it doesn't have a separate ARC plug/socket

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

OK, I’ve looked at the online manual and Quick Guide for this TV, and infuriatingly, there is no picture of the HDMI ports.

But your set is of the same vintage as mine, so I expect there will be one HDMI port marked ARC, one marked MHL, and two ‘plain’ ones.

They will all do CEC (called Anynet by Samsung), the MHL one will do HDCP 2.2 (which only matters if you have a UHD Blu-ray player - do you?), and only the ARC one will send audio from the TV to your amp.

So you need to ensure that the HDMI lead to your amp is plugged into the HDMI port marked ARC, and not one of the other three.

Try this, if it is not already the case.

Can you please also double-check that the HDMI cable really is the only connection between TV and amp, and there is no Optical connection also, as from what I read, such a connection would cause your double sound issue?

And please can you let me know the model number of the Pioneer amp, as I am still in the dark about what it can actually do, and I need to look up the manual for it to find this out?