cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Device No Longer Supported!

Been watching NowTV for about 2 years on a 2015 Samsung smart TV. No issues.

Today, NowTV decides it cant be supported on the device.....total bull!!  

I'm not going out spending several hundred pounds on a new TV just for NowTV.....and do they realise theres a pandemic on? Disgraceful to pull this stunt now.

28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm not confused, because the message was very clear (just very poorly miscommunicated by NowTV) that the device referred to the TV, otherwise the message would refer to the NowTV device.

I don't know how everyone knows the white boxes are endow support, maybe a crystal ball came with it and I never saw that, as no forward messages have been received that it was going EoL.

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User is this the message you saw? If so, it's very clear that it's taking about NowTV not being supported by the white box. There's even a link to get information from which clearly states it's the box that isn't supported!

IMG-20201007-WA0009.jpeg

Screenshot_20201008-122948.jpg

Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV is no longer supported on THIS device.

Does not state "Your NowTV device is no longer supported"

Really simple to understand that and the difference between the two messages.

Also, the link you refer to did absolutely not refer to a white box, it refers to a list of TV manufacturers and models NowTV works against.....reinforcing the point at hand.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Before we go round in circles. 

You started to talk about Samsung TV, which most 2015 models onward has the Now TV app installed. 

Which then you went to talk about the Now TV White box. 

Hell you could even plug that box into a PC monitor and still receive the same "error" message saying that Now TV is not supported on this device. 

Whereas if you plugged a Now TV or Roku stick into the PC monitor you'll find that it works. 

The error message is based on the device that the Now TV app is on at source, so in this case your White Box. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm not going round in circles, you are.

It seems you're struggling with the basic message, that it does not refer to the NowTV device, and that the message links you to TV devices that are operable with NowTV, with no mention of the "white box" or anything about the actual NowTV device.

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

You can be as sarcastic as you like... the truth is your thread starting message was totally misleading and looked like you were asking about the TV - you even tagged the post with "SAMSUNG"  - and talked about having to spend hundreds of pounds on a new one....  so.....

Anyway, this is a peer support forum and we are all just trying to help you out.

Im not a user of the white box.. but its pretty clear looking at other threads this is now as dead as a dodo.  These things happen.  Good news is your samsung TV will carry on for years.

If you ask nicely.. and approach NowTV with your concerns... im sure ive heard of them being generous and replacing the white boxes for a new stick for free.... if you are lucky.  Maybe try that route.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It was not misleading unless you agree the NowTV message was misleading which was stating that the device (the TV) was no longer supportable for NowTV to play on it.....evidently you do agree with that, so thanks for going to the effort of commenting.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Told 4 time on Twitter I was a lier about this 

c

got on to customer services and she called me a liar 4 time and demanded £9.99 

for new stick 

it’s free if you got email 

NEVER RECEIVED EMAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nst
Elite

To all that are raging right now...

Maybe this isnt the right thread - there are others on the subject.

But I wonder how long you feel is reasonable for a £10-20 ish set top box to be both current and supported.

This isnt a high end device like an appleTV etc..  (and THATS been badly neglected up until what we hope will be soon).

My point is, modern technology is basically obsolete in a few short years nowadays.  Things are changing and upgrading constantly.

How long did you expect that white NowTV box to last?  

Surely the current NowTV stick which supports boost etc is a much better bet than a 5+ year old NowTV box which at the time couldn't have set you back more than £20.

To me, having to replace a £20 box every 5 years doesnt seem unreasonable... and if NowTV are offering you the stick for £9.99... isnt that a bargain?

I do understand the principle here, and I understand the irritation that it causes for something that was working one day to arbitrarily and remotely be switched off the next.. thats very annoying.... and NowTV should have been pro-active telling all users of that hardware that the obsolescence was coming.. and that they could have a shiny new stick for a discount... and made sure all white boxes were no longer in operation before the deactivated the service...

But thats a different subject.

Saint1976
Elite 3

The daft thing is, you can get a brand new stick with a months cinema and entertainment for £26.85 on Amazon!

That means the stick costs £5.85 delivered to your door next day! By the time half the people complaining have written a response to the advice given, they could have a new stick plugged in and working!