cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Device No Longer Supported!

Been watching NowTV for about 2 years on a 2015 Samsung smart TV. No issues.

Today, NowTV decides it cant be supported on the device.....total bull!!  

I'm not going out spending several hundred pounds on a new TV just for NowTV.....and do they realise theres a pandemic on? Disgraceful to pull this stunt now.

28 REPLIES 28
nst
Elite

Inbuilt apps on TVs dont last forever.

Its not just NowTV guilty of abandoning older TVs and TV Operating systems.

If you rely on an inbuilt app you have to unfortunately accept it has a shelf life.

The TV itself, does not - it can go on for years... and rightly so.

The best solution is to not use any inbuilt apps - just get a set top box.. or in your case a £25 NowTV stick...  No need to spend "several hundred" pounds on a new TV at all.  Keep the one you have and plug in a stick.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  @nst 

Hi Johan

NST is right, the fastest churning software on the domestic market is the apps on Smart TVs, so it's not Now TV's fault that their app has fallen into disuse, that's just the way this particular market segment rolls.

However, it is unfortunate that consumers ultimately loose out because companies are always chasing new customers that want bigger and better apps with more facilities, which incidentally requires newer hardware and more memory and so the constant churn.

So, your only choice now, as NST suggested, is to buy yourself a Now TV stick, or a more expensive and fully featured Roku streaming device.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I dont use the inbuilt app.

I have a NowTV white mini box (same as a stick, call it peripheral device).

.............???

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

If you use the Now TV white box, see this thread. It is being discussed to death across the forum on multiple threads.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Box-white/White-box/m-p/543275#M43263

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cheers Gav.

If the messaging had been about the white box it would be a non-issue but it was to the TV itself hence my cry foul.

nst
Elite

with respect, @Anonymous User , your original post made no mention of the white NowTV box... and was almost explicitly to the point of mentioning it... talking about the TV...You even talked about having to spend hundreds of pounds on a new TV where this would never have ben the case if you are talking about a set top box that might be replaced.

So of course we thought you were talking about an inbuilt app and advised accordingly.

The 'benefit' of using an external device is that when it gets a bit long in the tooth it is easily replaced for something more up to date.

With the same advice that was given earlier.... whereas TVs cannot be expected to go on forever supporting inbuilt  apps as hardware requirements are constantly changing to keep up with the every changing environment... also the hardware in set top boxes becomes obsolete too.

The white NowTV box is quite old ..... time to buy a replacement?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why would I refer to the white box?

It was stating that it was the TV, not the white box, that was no longer supportable.

I note people are saying warnings have been issued wrt the white box going end of life, i've seen nothing.

Ive got no issue buying a new stick.

However NowTV has not managed this well no matter how you look at it.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

To be fair your post directly states;

I dont use the inbuilt app.

I have a NowTV white mini box (same as a stick, call it peripheral device).

.............???

For Samsung Smart TVs, this is what Now TV have mentioned on what is compatibable.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/get-now-tv-on-my-device

The NOW TV app is currently available on 2015 and later Samsung TVs, except for Samsung Serif models, which don't support NOW TV.

How do I know if I have a compatible TV?

Just look at the model number – if there’s a K, L, M, N, Q or R in the middle, then you should have a compatible TV.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Saint1976
Elite 3

@gavs82008 I think @Anonymous User is confusing us and himself. He's using a white box which we all know is no longer supported plugged into a Samsung TV. The box is simply displaying a message on the TV screen and he's confused that with the TV not being the supported device.

The TV will work fine for terrestrial and with any external device plugged into it.

The white box is now a door stop, although a lightweight one at that.