cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Device Limit Reached

My account currently has 6 registered devices and has done for for more than 6 months. However today when the kids tried to watch something on our main tv they were getting the error telling them the device limit has been reached.

This is also appearing on the other 2 devices I tried.

Also the devices view in my account only shows one device having been used in the last 6 months when I know several others have.

I've signed out and in again but the error persists. All devices are Roku devices. Any ideas other than re-registering? Was hoping to try the Boost pass over the weekend but not much point with no devices working.

12 REPLIES 12
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Have you got the six devices named, so you can see which is which?

To check this, a trick is to use a given device, and then check the devices list to see which one just updated its Last Used Date and Time, and then give it a unique name.

If none of them update, though, suspect you may have a second account; what are you paying out to NowTV every month, according to your bank statement?

if using a device doesn’t register, sign out and sign in again, with your current (only?) account, and try again.

When you have been round all your six devices, see how many have updated your devices list.

Pick a known one you can afford to drop off temporarily, delete it, and then try to use the main TV again.

If you still can’t, think laterally. Six Roku Devices, and no apps?

On the big TV, is there both a Stick, and an app on the TV itself? If the six devices include the Stick but not the TV app, did somebody try to use the app Instead, which would go over the limit?

The browser/player PC NowTV and the Microsoft Store NowTV also count as two separate apps.

Get your six devices identified, make sure they are the devices you expect; and if they aren’t, you can drop up to three this month, to let back on the devices that should be there.

Do please let us know how you get on, as this is intriguing.....

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a lot of problems with the app recognising Roku devices. I had two accounts with Now Tv but have reduced it to one as I could manage with just six devices. But in both accounts I had empty slots while several different devices were all playing on the same slot. So even though I had named them, they still didn’t properly identify. 

roku express conservatory

Tv son 1 room

Tv main  bedroom

empty slot

empty slot

empty slot

So I would  put on the unlabelled second bedroom roku and check the app and it would show that it was playing in the one labelled conservatory. So I renamed it. But then if I used the conservatory it would come up in that slot. The same when son 2 used his. It came up in the conservatory slot.And also the one in the living room. I actually had three   playing at the same time and still no new slot was filled. I can play three as I have the boost service. 
Then  today I tried playing the one in the second bedroom and it told me I had reached my device limit. In fact when I checked the app I found that the empty slots were all now filled but with two labelled conservatory. So I actually have enough slots but the app now thinks the same device is two devices. 🤷‍♀️

so now it looks like this

Tv son 1 room 

roku express son 2 room

roku streaming stick living room

tv main bedroom 

I’m sure the chat team can sort this out. I haven’t got any more than six devices. But I need to get them to see that it is actually only recognising five. 
my other account is the same. Several devices all playing in the same slot. But now they are signed into the new account as I will let the other one lapse. 

so this might be a similar problem. Intriguing. I couldn’t find any reference to it on the community until now. 
 😃

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks @Anonymous User , wonder if this is an issue with the app on Roku devices.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User 

A few things:-

I’m being limited to 18 character names. Some of the names above are longer than that?

There’s a graphic next to each device that seems to indicate what sort of device was in use. I have graphics for one Roku, one NowTV Stick, one TV, two PCs, and one phone (actually an iPad).

Every device is correctly flagged with its identity, and when it was last used, but I don’t have any further Roku devices to try and generate any confusion with. 

The problem here will be with the NowTV app on the Roku Stick, so it should be within NowTV’s gift to fix it.

One thing I would try - just a wild-assed guess - is naming the devices without ‘Roku’ included. I suspect that internally, the unique device identity is being used, but you never know.

Also check, maybe, that the Rokus do each have a unique identity, and aren’t sharing one 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
nickmorc
Expert 2

Had the same issue last night with a Roku Plus Streaming Stick. Had to delete it and add it again to get it to work. Sadly seem to have more issues with Now Tv than Netflix or Amazon.

chai
Scholar 3

@nickmorc 

Had an identical issue a couple of nights ago with my Roku Streaming Stick +.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@chai @nickmorc 

I too had this issue on my Roku Stick. 

All I did was delete the stick from being a registered device and tried to watch it again. It did work in the end, not ideal if you don't have any swaps left!

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The 3 fixed devices are named, however they are not registering as being used. The last used date only seems to to have been updating on the device that hasn't been used since the summer.

In the past the last used date only updated when content was watched so I don't believe I can test this again as I can't watch on any device.

As I can't watch on any device it seems to me the device registration data has gotten mixed up thinking that the 3 I've tried are all new. We don't use the apps on phones and tablets and the device list hasn't changed.

There's no second account (recently changed banks so had a detailed look at all direct debits....but did so again last night)

Thanks for the input. Guess I will have to delete them all and re-register.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Had same devices all working fine for months. Now device limit reached AND wont let me view change devices so cant watch NowTV!

Error : "We're having trouble displaying your devices.Please wait a moment and try again."

Suspect ROKU NowTV update causes initial issue of needing to remove/re add device but not letting me view/access my device is NowTV issue!