cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Constantly dropping picture quality

Hi everyone,

My problem is the picture quality keeps dropping to insanely pixelated then goes back up to HD for a bit and drops again, making the watching of anything absolutely unenjoybable. I have a 1080p HD TV and decent wifi connection. Any ideas if there is a setting similar to YouTube where the picture quality changes when the Internet slows down and whether it can be turned off?

Thanks in advance for any help
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.  Like most providers, NOW TV uses adaptive bitrates, this can't be overidden and aims to give you the best quality picture your connection can support.  If you're experiencing fluctuations in quality, a wired connection to your box is always preferable to wireless. 

View solution in original post

157 REPLIES 157
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is there any improvement @Anonymous User ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the same problem, only been happening for the past month. poor picture quality going pixelated and constant buffering. Like I say only recently no problems before and now its unwatchable 😞

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Have you tried the steps in my post above ?

Thanks

Andy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've just posted on this, but feel compelled to post some more. I'm watching the Sky sports French GP coverage on an LG OLED 65B8PLA that's 6 months old. I'm watching via NOW TV on an apple TV box. Picture quality is stonking.

I've just installed the NOW TV app on my LG....picture is terrible quality, and every now and again it gets worse and very pixellated. So I made a wired connection between tv and router (apple TV is just wireless), absolutely no change. Apple tv feed remains pin sharp all the time, LG TV app never gets close to the apple tv quality, and pixellates often. It's not the network, it's not the TV. It's got to be the LG TV NOW TV app. Feel free to grill me further if you like :))

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I was using a Roku and hopefully tried my Apple TV but it didn’t help. Checked every other streaming service I had and they all work in high quality. This is definitely Now TV’s issue.

Now TV, stop telling us it’s our connection, it’s not, your service is poor and needs sorting out. I suspect it’s when a lot of people are using your service so you need to test this in a real world scenario.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi I'm having the same problem with picture quality drops in and out then pixelates . Did not have this problem when plus net was my provider problem started when moved house and provider was BT does any one else have this problem as i am really hacked off ...
Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User,

Thanks for posting.

Have a look over this thread for some useful tips form Andy. 

It might be worth monitoring your Internet speed using speedtest.net when you see the quality drop as the picture will adapt depending on your Internet speed.

You can also try these steps to help stabilize the connection to the router that could also be causing an issue. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Currently using Now TV app that came pre-installed on brand new 4K Samsung smart TV. Previous to that we used the black roku box for a year or so.

Running fibre broadband with good speed (never dropped below 20mb).

Other apps installed include Amazon, iplayer, itv hub etc etc and we have never had any issues with viewing anything on these apps. 

Trying to watch a film right now and we are about 40 min in after watching it for over an hour, due to the picture quality dropping out and the film stopping to buffer all the time. 

Have run numerous speed tests during the film to check and it remains over 20mb. 

This has been happening for about a year now  and we also have the rocku hubs in other rooms in the house and it is just as bad on those. We have started watching films or programs on several occasions and had to stop because they are unwatchable.

This is terrible service and I will be looking to claim back some of the payments I have made. Please stop telling people that it’s down to their internet speed when it’s clearly a case of poor service from a product that is not fit for purpose!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's also funny that "my connection" always starts failing whenever there's smoething with a higher viewer rate on. For instance, right now. Had relatively rare quality issues until the qualifying on the French Grand Prix started, then it just starts dropping connections and is almost constantly reduced to a lower bit rate. This on two different connections!

Please, Sky. This lousy Now TV player was legacy when you started using it years ago. You charge us up to €50 per month to watch a little sport and then you just ignore all complaints when people wants something for that money.

I can't wait for the current Sky exlusive on F1 ends and we can use other services. The same goes for teh premier league.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is this worth paying €50 for?

20180623_152045.jpg