cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Constantly dropping picture quality

Hi everyone,

My problem is the picture quality keeps dropping to insanely pixelated then goes back up to HD for a bit and drops again, making the watching of anything absolutely unenjoybable. I have a 1080p HD TV and decent wifi connection. Any ideas if there is a setting similar to YouTube where the picture quality changes when the Internet slows down and whether it can be turned off?

Thanks in advance for any help
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.  Like most providers, NOW TV uses adaptive bitrates, this can't be overidden and aims to give you the best quality picture your connection can support.  If you're experiencing fluctuations in quality, a wired connection to your box is always preferable to wireless. 

View solution in original post

157 REPLIES 157
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Trying to watch F1 on a day pass and it is terrible. Using the new stick i have just been sent. No problem with sky store and worked ok with the old white box.  80 mbit bb. Will be asking for a voucher refund

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Well I called NowTV yesterday who had informed me that at 11am my speeds
were 2mbps and not good enough for streaming content.. (every occasion I
have had this issue I have checked my speeds except on this occasion so I
could not argue that at the time); but I called my internet provider to
find out what my speeds were at 11am that day and they confirmed they were
a little over 22mbps which is about what it usually is and has been
whenever I have checked at the same time as the NowTV issue occurring
previously.
I felt like I was being lied to by the bloke I spoke to at NowTV from the
start - that said I had a ‘technical issue’ with the first person I spoke
to and got transferred to someone else and had to start all over again..
clearly the company has more issues than just bad picture quality.. shame
on sky. My internet package is running out soon so we have decided when it
does we are going to get a package from virgin or bt and cancel our NowTV
subscription. Rather pay more for a good service than get a sh*t service
from a company that lies to me 🤣 hope you find a resolution to the issues
you’re also having.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same thing happened to me with a stick. Bought a week pass to watch football Friday night and Ryder Cup. Complete waste of money, had to reboot every 20 minutes to watch for 20 minutes. Once golf was finished, streaming perfectly. Complained via e mail to customer service yesterday and no response whatsoever. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is no solution.

I have wired connection direct to my TV and constant 40MB.

Netflix and Amazon both stream in 4k without issue. But Now TV can barely go 10 minutes without dropping to an image quality where you cant tell if you are looking at a human face or or a garden shed.

Now TV service is just plain abysmal, how you can charge people mo ey for it is beyond me!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

We have a wired connectiom and the picture quality is often worse than terrible.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This isn't a solution. All other streaming services work fine and this is an issue particular to Now TV, not to your connection. Now TV has had this issue for years and it still isn't fixed (as reported by other members recently). It's like they reduce the bitrate at their end, not yours, in order to keep up with demand but all they do is reduce the quality for everyone.

Simonpaddy1
Scholar 2

Am now in the *really* great position where I have to choose between low quality streaming on the Samsung app, or having to hunt down every new episode on the Apple TV app. 

It shouldn't be this hard to use a service I pay for...

Simonpaddy1
Scholar 2

...wonder if the new NowTV Boost product will be any better in terms of reliable quality. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just adding my £14.99's worth..

Went for a week pass to watch the NFL wildcard weekend, every 3 mins or so the bitrate drops to an blocky mess.

I'm on a 29mbps, gigabit wired connection on a PC which streams from Netflix, Prime and many other sites flawlessly.

Sorry NowTV, not paying for this dumpster fire ever again.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Amazed there are so many threads saying the same thing I’m yet another dissatisfied customer wont bore you with the details you’ve read them above. Trading standards are my next step I’d urge you to do the same it’s a disgrace.