cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Constantly dropping picture quality

Hi everyone,

My problem is the picture quality keeps dropping to insanely pixelated then goes back up to HD for a bit and drops again, making the watching of anything absolutely unenjoybable. I have a 1080p HD TV and decent wifi connection. Any ideas if there is a setting similar to YouTube where the picture quality changes when the Internet slows down and whether it can be turned off?

Thanks in advance for any help
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.  Like most providers, NOW TV uses adaptive bitrates, this can't be overidden and aims to give you the best quality picture your connection can support.  If you're experiencing fluctuations in quality, a wired connection to your box is always preferable to wireless. 

View solution in original post

157 REPLIES 157
Anonymous User
Not applicable

For those who can't try a wired connection, I can and it makes no difference.  Switched mid-way through a movie as the quality dropped so badly, seemed ok for a few minutes, then it dropped again.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Started seeing this on the Roku Streaming Stick + the last couple of weeks. Got so pixellated watching a film tonight it was unwatchable.

It is the NOWTV App on the roku because 

a) Netflix was fine

b) Amazon was fine

c) more importantly I comtinued to watch the film on by using NowTV on the chromecast and the picture was perfect.

So, it is not the internet connection as it works perfectly using a different App to watch NowTV. They need to get the App sorted though as this is not good service.

As an aside, if anyone from NowTV is reading this, the issues started the same day the Roku updated to the latest software version (March 5th) for me - was fine before then. A second box was fine also until it updated to save version of Roku software - the NowTV App has not updated since December I believe.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have had the same problem, only started a week ago, all other streaming services are fine.

So far

1. I use an Ethernet cable.
2. Bandwidth tests show I'm getting over 100mbps
3. Factory reset the black roku box.
4. Applied all updates.
5. Rebooted my router and rested bandwidth again over 100mbps.
6. Can stream 4K fine via rival provider.
7. Done the home X 5, ff x 3, rr x 2, forced updates again.

The adds steam in 720p second program steam kicks in unwatchable.

Only started happening a week ago, and used nowtv for about three years no problems.

Nowtv still sugesting the problem is my side and this is after 86+ replies here people saying same happening to them.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Seems it's the roku box so what's the fix as they can't exspect the majourity of users to buy a new device.

Must be an update to address this?

I'm more interested in what caused it, as personally everything worked fine until a week ago, and no new update released in last few weeks. Possibly the release of the new (stick) device required a change on nowtv inferstructre or something?
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous Userwrote:
Seems it's the roku box so what's the fix as they can't exspect the majourity of users to buy a new device.

I'm more interested in what caused it, as personally everything worked fine until a week ago, and no new update released in last few weeks. Possibly the release of the new (stick) device required a change on nowtv inferstructre or something?

It actually wouldn't suprise me if this was NowTV's way of getting people to by a new box...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well if you buy a new Roku box, NOW TV / Sky won't make anything from it.

@Anonymous Userwrote:

@Anonymous Userwrote:

It actually wouldn't suprise me if this was NowTV's way of getting people to by a new box...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Exactly the same issue here...

In the last couple of weeks I've noticed a significant drop in picture quality so much so that it's at times completely unwatchable.

Something has clearly happened recently because it's been great for the previous 6 months or so that I've had the NowTV box (black)

I use a wired connection on a 200mbps Virgin Media fibre connection so it's not my internet speed.

Please sort this urgently - I didn't pay for a year subscription up front to experience this poor quality !

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Having the exact same issue. Fine for a few days now unwatchable goes from HD to SD & back again in a few seconds. Unless someone from NowTv fixes this I will cancel my sub its really that simple. Netflix & Amazon Prime Video work perfectly on the same Roku device!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am also having stream quality problems. Normally at 4000 on an LG tv but can drop to 90.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
I no longer have this problem. Found out it was the actual box. Changed it and have had no problems since. My only gripe now is only being able to watch Now tv on 2 TV's at a time.