cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Constantly dropping picture quality

Hi everyone,

My problem is the picture quality keeps dropping to insanely pixelated then goes back up to HD for a bit and drops again, making the watching of anything absolutely unenjoybable. I have a 1080p HD TV and decent wifi connection. Any ideas if there is a setting similar to YouTube where the picture quality changes when the Internet slows down and whether it can be turned off?

Thanks in advance for any help
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.  Like most providers, NOW TV uses adaptive bitrates, this can't be overidden and aims to give you the best quality picture your connection can support.  If you're experiencing fluctuations in quality, a wired connection to your box is always preferable to wireless. 

View solution in original post

157 REPLIES 157
Anonymous User
Not applicable

So did you replace the box like for like, or a different model box altogether?

Anonymous User
Not applicable
At first I swapped it with the same one from my son's room. But have put a new one in. This one has the Ethernet connection on the back. Don't use the Ethernet cable though. Usr wi fi.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Totally agree with the above posters,

We get our Internet with IdNet and have a connection of 50mbs down, 7mbs up. iPlayer, ITV Hub, 4OD, Amazon, Netflix, Youtube all work fine at top quality, however NowTV through the NowTV box on both ethernet and Wifi is poor and pixelated.

I totally agree that this points either to a software problem with the NowTV App, Hardware problem with the NowTV box or infrastructure problem with NowTV themselves.

On another note, our NowTV box while has adequate airflow seems to be running awfully hot.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

OK, just wondering if it's a brand new Roku 3 if it might have more up to date firmware thus not showing the same problem older boxes are.  Just a thought!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now tv is just rubbish , no launch platforms to speak of , I can’t even watch movies anymore quality is so bad . I have cancelled my subs .
tomasio72
Scholar

I'm watching the Chelsea v Utd game on my laptop picture quality has dropped a lot during the game

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same here, Chelsea v Utd game unwatchable. I won't be taking up any more passes, waste of money.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Bought another day pass to watch F1 using the stick yesterday. Turned on an hour early to check it was ok and it was immediately poor and degraded to being rubbish after about 5 mins

Swapped back to the old White NowTV box and the whole thing ran faultless throughout. Same wifi, same HDMI port etc etc

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Yes, you’re right. If I use now tv through PlayStation I have no problems
but I use the latest now tv box or stick and I get sh’t service. Can’t
believe they can’t even make their own equipment work correctly.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey there, I had this issue as well and I found that downloading the NOWTV app from the microsoft store completely cleared up my quality dropping issue, AND fixed the sound quality too! Try that 😄