cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
houla
Occasional Poster

Re: Constantly dropping picture quality

Same problem here too. Also, just wanted to say that shows often include their own subtitles so not sure why people took issue with that.

But yeah, this awful pixelation makes shows completely unwatchable. What’s up with that?
0 Thanks
houla
Occasional Poster

Before anyone replies suggesting the same stuff, I’ve tried all the steps you mentioned save a wired connection which isn’t possible.

I stream content without issue from a number of competitors, it’s only Now TV I have an issue with. My internet speed isn’t the issue.

It feels a little like now tv customers aren’t really thought about. No proper solutions seem to be offered for years.
0 Thanks
GhastlyOomska
First Poster

Yup. My (brand new) black box started off well and worked for a fortnight. Now films dip in and out of watchable quality. The explainer captions in films are unreadable.

Tried all the suggested solutions - outlined in the 'accepted solution' at the top of this post. All ballcocks.

Particularly dislike the user being blamed for the poor service. We are not idiots, so don't treat us as such.

If you are seriously suggesting WiFi is a bad idea, don't offer it as a viable alternative to hard-wiring.

Absolutely rubbish service.

0 Thanks
chilli2
Contributor 4

[quote] My (brand new) black box started off well and worked for a fortnight. Now films dip in and out of watchable quality. The explainer captions in films are unreadable.[/quote]

Hope you got a good discount on the black box, as they have been discontinued for a few months now.

There are a few things you can try, such as a speedtest app on your box, log into your manin account on a pc/tablet etc, and add channel code SPEEDTEST  you will then have a speedtest channel/app on your main menu try that and see what it says.

you could also try an ethernet connection - if you have one of the now discontinued boxes that feature ethernet, the new devices do not have ethernet.

shortcut to the add channel/app is here https://my.roku.com/account/add/  log in with the same username/password you used to set up and enter code SPEEDTEST

0 Thanks
ukbobboy
Mentor 5

@chilli2 @GhastlyOomska

Guys

Depending on your ISP, you do know that they sometimes drop your download speed to see if you make a complaint about it, and to see if they can get away with it.  Once you complain, lo and behold, your speed is put back to what you signed up for.

You see, they don't tell you when they're doing it, they just do it to see if you notice, and if you don't they probably reallocate the "liberated" resource elsewhere on their network.

Be vigilant and do not wholly trust any company.

UK Bob

0 Thanks
TJ3
First Poster

Hi, I'm having the same problem. The internet works for all other apps - Netflix, BBC iPlayer etc, but always struggles with now tv. This is why I have stopped my subscription so many times. How can it be resolved, without wiring the tv to the internet? Wifi works completely fine with all the others.....
0 Thanks
AmyW
First Poster

Me too. Had enough now.
0 Thanks
Highlighted
Bamindy
Contributor 1

For those who can't try a wired connection, I can and it makes no difference.  Switched mid-way through a movie as the quality dropped so badly, seemed ok for a few minutes, then it dropped again.

0 Thanks
Darren_73
Occasional Poster

Started seeing this on the Roku Streaming Stick + the last couple of weeks. Got so pixellated watching a film tonight it was unwatchable.

It is the NOWTV App on the roku because 

a) Netflix was fine

b) Amazon was fine

c) more importantly I comtinued to watch the film on by using NowTV on the chromecast and the picture was perfect.

So, it is not the internet connection as it works perfectly using a different App to watch NowTV. They need to get the App sorted though as this is not good service.

As an aside, if anyone from NowTV is reading this, the issues started the same day the Roku updated to the latest software version (March 5th) for me - was fine before then. A second box was fine also until it updated to save version of Roku software - the NowTV App has not updated since December I believe.

0 Thanks
TVprobs1
Occasional Poster

I have had the same problem, only started a week ago, all other streaming services are fine.

So far

1. I use an Ethernet cable.
2. Bandwidth tests show I'm getting over 100mbps
3. Factory reset the black roku box.
4. Applied all updates.
5. Rebooted my router and rested bandwidth again over 100mbps.
6. Can stream 4K fine via rival provider.
7. Done the home X 5, ff x 3, rr x 2, forced updates again.

The adds steam in 720p second program steam kicks in unwatchable.

Only started happening a week ago, and used nowtv for about three years no problems.

Nowtv still sugesting the problem is my side and this is after 86+ replies here people saying same happening to them.