cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Constantly dropping picture quality

Hi everyone,

My problem is the picture quality keeps dropping to insanely pixelated then goes back up to HD for a bit and drops again, making the watching of anything absolutely unenjoybable. I have a 1080p HD TV and decent wifi connection. Any ideas if there is a setting similar to YouTube where the picture quality changes when the Internet slows down and whether it can be turned off?

Thanks in advance for any help
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.  Like most providers, NOW TV uses adaptive bitrates, this can't be overidden and aims to give you the best quality picture your connection can support.  If you're experiencing fluctuations in quality, a wired connection to your box is always preferable to wireless. 

View solution in original post

157 REPLIES 157
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi All,

I really thinking of ditching NOW TV, the picture quality is appalling, blocky and pixelated like some bad 80's video game!

I give up on some programs or films because it often is unwatchable, or ok for a few mins then bad

It's not my broadband connection or speed, because all other ondemand channels like Channel 4, 5, youtube etc are fine with great picture quality...

Now TV really need to sort this issue or I think they will lose a lot of customers...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I'm really sorry to hear that you've been experiencing low quality; especially of the 80's video game variety!

A good place to start is our buffering/low quality guide. Can you have a look over this and see if it helps at all?

I appreciate that this may not be related to your Internet speeds but could you try a quick speed test for us and let us know the results?

It's always good to rule this out!

Thanks,

Rob

NOW TV Team 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Rob,

i have tried the settings you suggest, as have many people on here by the looks of it, and nothing improves the picture.

My broadband (Sky) is around 20mbps, so no problem there. As mentioned before other on demand services picture quality is very good...so the problem lies with Now tv, not my broadband,

May I suggest Sky - owners of Now TV - open their very fat cheque book and invest in some decent technology to improve the streaming service - or is this a ploy to get everone so frustrated with Now TV they sign up to Sky TV????

I was looking forward to the new series of Westworld, but gave up after less than 5 mins, as it is unwatchable.

I really fail to see the point of paying for a service I cannot use, so looks like cancelation is the only option. Maybe other subscribers should do this too, if we all start to cancel Sky may take action.

Oh and please stop telling us to switch it off and on again - it doesn't do anything!!!

The annoying thing is when I first had Now Tv the picture was great - maybe you are victims of your own sucess and you have too many subscribers oveloading your servers - well they won't be subcribers for long if the quality does not improve soon.

Regards

fed up reggieboy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi All,

i have solved my problem without help from Now or Sky...

If you are using one of the old White Roku boxes - ditch it.

I have connected one of the later black boxes and set the picture to HD and it is great - problem soved...

Now TV people - perhaps you should be asking users with poor picture quality if the have the old white box, and if so to replace it??? (you can have this solution for free - with my compliments)

I hope this may help some users out there with unwatchable Now TV programs...

reggie

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing @Anonymous User

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I feel the same no problem with picture quality on netflix so must be nowtv,s problem very bad customer service

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Having the same problem with sports channels, picture goes blurry continuously. Tried 3 different NowTV boxes and stick in 3 different places, result always the same, picture constantly goes blurry. Please fix this issue, NowTV, sports channels are unwatchable.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same here. Has happened for a few months now. Watching on LG tv wired to fibre router. My solution: go "back" and resume. This fixes it everytime

Anonymous User
Not applicable

been using all week with no issues. Sit down to watch SWAT on Sky and picture quality keeps changing or picture drops out completely. Same thing, same programme last Sunday . Any ideas?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's the same on Windows 10 player whether WiFi or Ethernet. And the same on a stick. Yet, BT Sport is ok as is football streamed on its website by the BBC. Even Premier Sports is better.

It's NOW TV that's at fault. I won't keep paying for such a shabby service - just throwing money away. It can't be my connection when other streaming services are OK.