cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Constantly dropping picture quality

Hi everyone,

My problem is the picture quality keeps dropping to insanely pixelated then goes back up to HD for a bit and drops again, making the watching of anything absolutely unenjoybable. I have a 1080p HD TV and decent wifi connection. Any ideas if there is a setting similar to YouTube where the picture quality changes when the Internet slows down and whether it can be turned off?

Thanks in advance for any help
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.  Like most providers, NOW TV uses adaptive bitrates, this can't be overidden and aims to give you the best quality picture your connection can support.  If you're experiencing fluctuations in quality, a wired connection to your box is always preferable to wireless. 

View solution in original post

157 REPLIES 157
Anonymous User
Not applicable

exactly the same for me. all good for years then it becomes very slow to open app and picture quality drops in and out. i just spent half hour online help with now tv chat and they say my internet is 3mbps. i was testing at same time and had 45mbps. all other apps no problems. 

losing patience quickly after singing its praises for years

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I’m going to call them this week and wait until they tell me it’s my poor internet speed that’s the problem before I tell them that my ‘high speed’ fibre broadband is actually supplied by none other than... NOW TV, who promised us download speeds in excess of 20 mb!

So if they tell me my internet speed is too slow they will have to either admit that I’m paying for fibre speeds that I’m not getting and they will have to compensate me, or they will have to admit that I’m paying for a streaming service that’s not fit for purpose, so will have to compensate me.

I’ll let you know what sorry excuse they come up with 😂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Any chance this solution can be shared? My internet speeds are approx 28mbps on fibre and our picture quality switches from HD to fuzzy (almost unwatchable) with monotonous regulatory every 5 minutes or so. I've had now tv for 2 years or so and its getting worse. Any bright ideas?
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:
Any chance this solution can be shared? My internet speeds are approx 28mbps on fibre and our picture quality switches from HD to fuzzy (almost unwatchable) with monotonous regulatory every 5 minutes or so. I've had now tv for 2 years or so and its getting worse. Any bright ideas?

Hi @Anonymous User,

You're probably not going to want to hear this but... A wired ethernet network connection (even one that uses Powerline adaptors) offers a much more stable and reliable video streaming experience.

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks. That isn't possible unfortunately. The router is in another room due to the location of the phone points. I've seen other people suggest this too, but others say it's made no difference. It's really frustrating! Thanks for replying - much appreciated.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

If you post your ISP and Router model then hopefully forum members familiar with your Router and ISP can offer some further assistance.

I am guessing you have tried rebooting both your router and nowtv device and also tried changing the router wifi channels to see if there is any improvement ? 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks for the tip. It's a hub one router from Plusnet. We have fibre and speeds are good. For what it's worth plusnet say it can't be them 🙂 I have restarted and updated both router and now box. We shall see. Thanks for responding, very much appreciated!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm having the same issues via the Roku stick on an LG Tv but also through the white now to box on a different make of to. Everything has been unplugged, rebooted and installed again and still no luck. The picture quality is so poor that it's not watchable.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm having this issue both with using the Roku stick via wireless, and also with the white box via wireless. Have reset and reinstalled everything, including my TalkTalk wireless router. The picture is fine for 3/4 seconds then it goes so pixelated that it's impossible to watch. Also buffering every 10 seconds. Very frustrating and I've given up trying to fix it now. If it doesn't improve I'll be cancelling all subscriptions to now tv 😞
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:
I'm having the same issues via the Roku stick on an LG Tv but also through the white now to box on a different make of to. Everything has been unplugged, rebooted and installed again and still no luck. The picture quality is so poor that it's not watchable.

Hi @Anonymous User,

It would appear that you have already posted your issue within the forums dedicated 'Roku' area. This is the forums 'LG (app)' device area...