cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Constantly dropping picture quality

Hi everyone,

My problem is the picture quality keeps dropping to insanely pixelated then goes back up to HD for a bit and drops again, making the watching of anything absolutely unenjoybable. I have a 1080p HD TV and decent wifi connection. Any ideas if there is a setting similar to YouTube where the picture quality changes when the Internet slows down and whether it can be turned off?

Thanks in advance for any help
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.  Like most providers, NOW TV uses adaptive bitrates, this can't be overidden and aims to give you the best quality picture your connection can support.  If you're experiencing fluctuations in quality, a wired connection to your box is always preferable to wireless. 

View solution in original post

157 REPLIES 157
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:
Having the exact problem myself. Goes from normal quality to a pixelatted picture where unable to read subtitiles constantly, only happens on NowTV programmes.

@Anonymous User

I'm confused... What channels are you watching? I ask because currently none of the NOW TV channels offer subtitles!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sky Atlantic Gomarah
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:
Sky Atlantic Gomarah

@Anonymous User,

What make/model of device are you using to access the NOW TV service?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just joined yesterday and have to say picture quality is a shambles.

I know this post is from a few years ago but are people still having these issues?

Every week I watch BBC HD+UHD Netflix HD+UHD and Prime using HD+UHD.  None of them ever have an issue streaming, regardless of device.  Completely faultless

I previously subscribed to Sky and again their streaming service (SkyGo) was the worst I used.

Is it just me?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hitachi 48" tv, the white NowTV box
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:
Hitachi 48" tv, the white NowTV box

Given that you are using the 'white' NOW TV box means that you are connecting to the internet via WiFi.

Personally, I'm not a fan of WiFi, so I'm unable to offer any help!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

I'm as confused as @SeeMoreDigital with relation to subtitles as this is not a service we have at the moment on NOW TV.

With regards to your picture quality, most likely reason would be the speed of your Internet connection.

How far away is your NOW TV Box from your router ?

Any other cordless/wireless devices near the router or NOW TV Box that could create interface ?

Thanks

Andy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Two weekends in a row now picture starts fine then pixelated back to normal and then unwatchable. WiFi connection is excellent and all connected devices are fine. What's going on. I have the white box.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

The most common reason that your picture would deteriorate is due to the Internet speed.

Can you try a reset of your router and your NOW TV Box to see if this makes any difference ?

Also if you are with BT for your Internet service could you disable Smart SetUp from within your router settings as this has an impact on some devices.

Thanks

Andy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes done all of this. Picture was OK until about a month ago.