cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Constantly dropping picture quality

Hi everyone,

My problem is the picture quality keeps dropping to insanely pixelated then goes back up to HD for a bit and drops again, making the watching of anything absolutely unenjoybable. I have a 1080p HD TV and decent wifi connection. Any ideas if there is a setting similar to YouTube where the picture quality changes when the Internet slows down and whether it can be turned off?

Thanks in advance for any help
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.  Like most providers, NOW TV uses adaptive bitrates, this can't be overidden and aims to give you the best quality picture your connection can support.  If you're experiencing fluctuations in quality, a wired connection to your box is always preferable to wireless. 

View solution in original post

157 REPLIES 157
Anonymous User
Not applicable

"My connection is one of the fastest fibre connections available. Yet im having issues with streaming on NowTV but i have no problems streaming BBC iPlayer live channels, which are also 720p and Netflix which is 1080p.

But NowTV drops in rates and sometimes cuts off entirely. And i can tell you why: Its nothing to do with poor connection, it has everything to do with the poor server capacity Sky has and something they still haven't increased! 

Oh and i hardwire my box to my router, makes no difference."

Ditto. I have 50mb max typical 28-35mb and I'm the only person online at the moment, but the Forest v Birmingham game looks like I'm watching through a rainstorm on a car windscreen.

NOW TV Entertainment and Movies working just fine, but all sports channels are abysmal, and not cheap.

Not a happy lagomorph.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

...After about an hour, we are back to normal.

Maybe my moaning was something to do with it, but this is a regular if not frequent occurance with the Sports content alone, not the films or entertainment, and don't tell me there was unprecedented demand to watch a middle of the table EFL match.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Exactly the same issue - trying to watch Forest v Birmingham game; like someone else on here just said, looks like I'm watching through a rainstorm on a car windscreen. Appalling. Sort it out, NOW - won't be using you again at this rate.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It is happening on my system this weekend.

Accessing via Roku Streaming Stick+ and it is working flawlessly for Netflix, Prime Video, BBC etc and also NowTV entertainment.  But since about 6pm yesterday all sky sports channels are absurdly pixelated to the point where you cannot make out what the image is.

Access to internet via a commercial grade (80Mbps) connection.

This looks a lot like a problem supporting demand at Sky's end. 

First time I've tried to contact Now TV about a technical issue - and disappointed to find that the support is so awful.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Had the same issue yesterday as everyone else, using PC app, only 2 days into 14 day trial period, wif here is excellent, tried both the BT fibre family and Virgin Media fibre work connection. What has worked for me today, which I admit may be temporary and due to non-peak, I guess time will tell, was using the iPad app and casting to the TV via a Chromecast, at the moment I can only assume that the Chromecast was regulating the stream in my favour as there was no blurry moments at all, whether that is nonsense who knows, it worked

lovebuguk
Scholar

at the end of the day you hard wire wifi unstable i have 100mb internet and wifi is rubbish i get the on topic prob if only useing wifi.   i have a black box / samsung tv / lgtv / xbox all hardwired and never have any probs great pic all the time.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

we got same problem, now tv has become really bad this past week, all other devices working nice and fast(like normal), i will be ditching now tv.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have had this problem recently despite having adequate broadband speeds - I have (hopefully) solved it by buying a netgear wifi extender, plugging it in next to the TV and running an ethernet cable directly into the TV from it - and have had a smooth, sharp picture ever since.
I use the NOWtv app on an LG set.
No idea whether that's a permanent solution or I'm just lucky - but for people struggling it's worth a go.
If it IS a solution then NOW should be sending everyone a voucher to buy one if it's necessary to run their service properly.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I found the best thing to do was cancel all three of my nowtv passes and my
current broadband provider and take out a sky contract. Paying £1 a month
more but service is great. Thanks Sky for doing what NowTV couldn’t 🙂 ##-
Please type your reply above this line -##
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Having the exact problem myself. Goes from normal quality to a pixelatted picture where unable to read subtitiles constantly, only happens on NowTV programmes.